The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Can you believe this???  (Read 8392 times)

Offline the_mad_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Can you believe this???
« on: Dec 09, 2007, 05:34 AM »
I never knew something like this was ever printed!  I was at Walmart this morning buying more lights for the tree and I always go through the sporting goods for the hell of it... So anyway I see this sticker on the fridge for the bait...LOL  Thank god for camera phones!

So out of curiosity, whose all in favor?

Offline Imissedem

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Can you believe this???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2007, 05:45 AM »
All depends /What do you pay now?R.I resident is 18.00 or 33.00 for combo.Me personally I think we are still in a decent price range.Wheres the $$$$$$$ go?

Offline chilly feet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bait?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2007, 06:13 AM »
if i new the money would go to a good cause i would not have
a problem.but with all the crooks out there i wonder what they
would use it for.this has been up in the air for a while now,i
guess we will have to see what happens.

Offline pocono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2007, 08:22 AM »
They have been pushing for license increse for years, stop to think first it was a basic fishing license for all fish.  Then you needed a trout stamp, then a lake Erie stamp, then they lowered the trout from 8 to 5 per day then decresed the number of trout stocked, then a youth
license. this is all increses it will never end.  I don't agree with the youth license, when i see a kid fishing i feel like giving him 5 bucks as a reward for taking up the sport, not charging him $5.  I strongly feel it is time for the state to take over the fish and game comission. we don't need duplication of service.  Take a look at other states.  You can buy one license for both sports.  If all are lakes were managed by one agency it would be better.  Now is DCNR, game comission, park service and fish comission not to mention county and federal.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2007, 08:32 AM »
i agree pocono 100% its time the state takes over. we need everyone on the same page and they arnt even close to being there right now. if we did have a license increase and we knew for sure it was going into the youth then i would without a doubt pay it

Offline the_mad_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2007, 10:39 AM »
I agree Jay, but it seems you get nothing for something...  I never once had a field officer come up to me and ask how things are and if there's anyway that the Fish Commission can make things better... They're more like "where's your license, ID, how many fish do you have???" just to give you a hard time.  I just don't get it.  They would be respected more if they actually gave a $h!t.

Offline boatnik13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2007, 11:02 AM »
I think its all about the PFBC retirement club!  I really don't know but just looking at all the waterways we have that are listed under "DON'T EAT THE FISH " and consumption rules, makes me wonder what they do with all the increases. Then we have the story every year on how the number of fishing licenses has gone done due to lack of intrest ($$ cost).

Offline roygpa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's da Ice?
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2007, 11:16 AM »
If they tell me exactly (to the penny) where the current money that I pay for my license goes and where every penny of the increase will go... then and only then will I consider supporting an increase. Until then, I am against any increase in license fees. I doubt they would consider informing me...

Roy
Southwestern, PA

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2007, 11:35 AM »
I don't mind license increases.  If it keeps fish being stocked in my waters who cares.  In NY a license is $19.00.   If you look at what it costs you to fish each trip, it is very cheap.  Guys will spend thousands on equipment but complain about $20 - $30 for a license. I just don't get it.

Offline the_mad_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2007, 11:46 AM »
I don't mind license increases.  If it keeps fish being stocked in my waters who cares.  In NY a license is $19.00.   If you look at what it costs you to fish each trip, it is very cheap.  Guys will spend thousands on equipment but complain about $20 - $30 for a license. I just don't get it.

you're right, but at least I know what I bought with my money... NY is alot different the way the fishing and hunting is concerned.  Better fisheries, more public lakes to fish... I was just amazed that there was actually a sticker like that... I think I'd run the guy off the road that had it on his car...LOL

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2007, 11:56 AM »
I Live and fish in New Hampshire probably one of the states with the highest priced licence's $35.00 for residents I also hunt so for me to get all my licence's for the year cost me maybe $150.00 But that's all I do hunt and fish least that's what the wife says's. I don't mind paying the fee's as long as it helps keep NH's accessible and full of fish. One problem I do have is I have notice over the past few years they have been spending a lot of money fixing up boat ramps which is great, But then they go and put a motor restriction on that lake in some cases stop allowing gas motors altogether, spend all that money on a beautiful ramp for canoes come on!
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline Imissedem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2007, 11:57 AM »
I'm seriously thinking about buying a life time. For $125 you can't really go wrong. Seasonal are $20.00 now. In 6.25 years I would be fishing for free!.
I wish R.I offered that I would buy it in a heart beat.

Offline something smells fishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2007, 12:07 PM »
In Ontario its a getting bad with the cutbacks, I haven't seen a C.O   in a long time in some cases they don't have enough gas budget to check there area  and there is a lot of abuse on the fishery's ,I pay 25 bucks a year but I wouldn't have no problems pay 50  as long as it all went back into the fishery and a couple more C.O 

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2007, 12:13 PM »
I bought a pheasant stamp a month ago or so here in Minnesota. After printing it up, they asked me if I would like to have an actual stamp (like a postage stamp) sent in the mail to me for an additional $2. What a joke, last year they sent you one for free, but used to be when you bought a stamp, they tore it out of a book, again like a postage stamp. Now they are just a computer print out. The governments are getting greedier and greedier, and they all seem to have their hands in others pockets I.E. the oil companies, can't tell me they can't put a cap on gas prices, it's getting ridiculous

Offline feasanthunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2007, 01:23 PM »
I spend about $100 a year for fish/hunt for myself and w/unit ( she doesn't hunt, or fish a whole lot either). I don"t agree with the proposed youth licence at all. Is it coincidence that the PBFC had to drain Dutch Fork and Rystron Station because of damage to the dams, and major coal mining efforts in the area?
are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle "Dixie"?

Offline pocono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2007, 03:10 PM »
I would pay $100 for a fishing license, considering the year long enjoyment i get from fishing.  What I would like is to have all waterways and lakes under one agancy.  Here in the NE (poconos) a lot of the lakes are under DCNR and the access for boating is very poor on a lot of them if there was some consistancy and minimum requirements for boat access this would be great.  A lot of older people could not use some of them do to physical requirement to just launch a boat, or parking. :)

a

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2007, 03:18 PM »
If they tell me exactly (to the penny) where the current money that I pay for my license goes and where every penny of the increase will go... then and only then will I consider supporting an increase. Until then, I am against any increase in license fees. I doubt they would consider informing me...

Roy
I gotta agree with Roy on this one. I don't mind paying more if I am getting more but paying to fund some other motive (like PETA) blindly is just plane stupid. As for the youth license I equate this to taking candy from a baby (it's easy but should never be done.) give the kids a break and let them fish for fun.

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2007, 03:26 PM »
ok let me get this straight

reduce the number of lakes and streams stocked
pay for a erie stamp so the commercial fishermen dont take the fish that we pay to put in the lake in the first place
pay for a stamp so they can put in less trout
reduce the number u can keep{doesnt appy to those who catch and release}
drain lakes tha haven been maintained because of incompetence of administration

so now lets charge kids to fish

less people in the future fishing
which means less money for stocking
no fish being stocked in erie
more dams being unsafe and causing more lakes drained

does that sum it up?
 ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2007, 03:28 PM »
I forgot this

how much did the fish comission
 pay to have all those stickers made instead of something important

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2007, 03:38 PM »
My dad and I bought our 08' licenses at a small bait/tackle shop on our way home from Cabelas yesterday. I like to support and buy things from certain smaller shops to help keep them in business. Now PA went to the licenses like Maryland and etc with a printer to print the licenses. The guy told us that the PFBC wanted to take the $1.00 that they get for selling the licenses away from them due to the PFBC now having machines. Total crap IMO. $1.00 isn't much for the store IMO.

I see that the trout/salmon permit went up another $1.00 for 08'. Local, State and Federal goverments do nothing but waste money. You and I have to live off a certain income. Why is it our goverment doesn't?

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2007, 05:30 PM »
I know that once again, logic is alone. I generally am in favor of an increase. Most folks have no idea how much it costs to build/maintain a boat ramp, stock 100,000 walleye fry or 10,000 muskie fingerlings. Call a porta potty company and ask about the cost of renting unit for 6 months, multiply that by all the public access. Go to a "public" access  in many States and you'll be surprised to find that you will pay to launch a boat or park your truck. Look at the biologist reports of the PFBC web site, look at the WARMWATER stocking lists.

Do I think the Fish Commission is perfect? Of course not.
Is some money wasted? Of course.
Do I like what is spent on the trout program? Nope, not at all.
Are there problems within the Commission........Yes.
Do I think the Fish Commission would be better off if they had to answer to the average angler............NO
Do I think the Fish Commission would be better off if they had to answer to the average tax payer......NO
Do I think the Fish Commission would be better off if they had to answer to the politicians........... .........NO

If a fishing license cost $50 a year, plus $25 in stamps, for a total of $75 and you went fishing seven days a year, for five hours each day, that would cost you $2.14 per hour. What can you do for $2.15 per hour? Can you drive for an hour? Can you eat for an hour? watch a movie for an hour? Take a woman on a date and tell her you'll spend $2.14 per hour, and see how far you get.
I presume most people on here fish more than seven days a year?

Be carefull what you ask for.
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline blaster22077

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2007, 06:11 PM »
I wish the license would go up to $500 than i can be the only one on the ice hahaha :laugh:

Offline Yoda on Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 09, 2007, 06:13 PM »
I know that once again, logic is alone. I generally am in favor of an increase. Most folks have no idea how much it costs to build/maintain a boat ramp, stock 100,000 walleye fry or 10,000 muskie fingerlings. Call a porta potty company and ask about the cost of renting unit for 6 months, multiply that by all the public access. Go to a "public" access  in many States and you'll be surprised to find that you will pay to launch a boat or park your truck. Look at the biologist reports of the PFBC web site, look at the WARMWATER stocking lists.

Do I think the Fish Commission would be better off if they had to answer to the average angler............NO
Do I think the Fish Commission would be better off if they had to answer to the average tax payer......NO
Do I think the Fish Commission would be better off if they had to answer to the politicians........... .........NO

If a fishing license cost $50 a year, plus $25 in stamps, for a total of $75 and you went fishing seven days a year, for five hours each day, that would cost you $2.14 per hour. What can you do for $2.15 per hour? Can you drive for an hour? Can you eat for an hour? watch a movie for an hour? Take a woman on a date and tell her you'll spend $2.14 per hour, and see how far you get.

I agree with ya Byron.  I don't want to spend anymore than what i have to, but I enjoy fishing to much to let a few more dollars stop me from doing it. 

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 09, 2007, 06:41 PM »
I end up with NR licenses from MN, WI, MI, & IN almost every year.  They have gone up just about every year lately.  I don't mind it, but the wife about sh*ts every year when I buy them.  IL resident is still pretty cheap, $13, but I believe the NR for WI & MN is about $50 each.  MI is $40, & IN is $30-35 I think.  This is all nothing when you think of the cost of everything.  Stocking, public access, cleaning waters, ect....  I just wish they would raise the fee's on pleasure water crafts.  Jet ski's, power boats, they do more damage than we do, but they pay less!

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #24 on: Dec 09, 2007, 07:24 PM »
In Ontario its a getting bad with the cutbacks, I haven't seen a C.O   in a long time in some cases they don't have enough gas budget to check there area  and there is a lot of abuse on the fishery's ,I pay 25 bucks a year but I wouldn't have no problems pay 50  as long as it all went back into the fishery and a couple more C.O 
i would have been on board fair tax and all but the incident mofish jr had in a put and take run off creek"pine creek " 4 uniformed  gun toting c/o's jumped out of the bushes and began to interrogate my `12year old son and his buddy,needless to say they horrified.i believe in obeying the law no matter how trivial evidently the need for an increase is justified by the over enforcement of the trout seeking public  mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline iceaddiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 09, 2007, 08:02 PM »
Very well put alot of people will go to a movie or a sprint car race and drop the cost of a license for one nice.  I like the way you put that
I live to fish anytype but ice fishing is my passion

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 09, 2007, 08:54 PM »

Logic is alone....give me a break.

Thats funny you actually think if you pay double for a license it will change anything? I'm well aware what things cost. Do you think its fair for my sister and her boyfriend (Both in college with no job) to spend over $50 each on a license just to go fishing on a state lake once or twice a year, and they don't harvest trout? I look around when I'm on the lake at the new vehicles the officers drive and wonder why new cars are needed every few years, a lot of tax and license payers out there drive vehicles that have well over 200k miles on them. Several game commision guys in my area drive Ford expeditions, why do they have to drive around in a $35k SUV when a $18k ranger pick-up is more than fine. Thats the stuff that gripes me. Try to have a family now days with everything costing more everyday and maybe your realize why I don't want an increase in license cost. Besides once the license cost $50, $75 or even $100 it still will not be enough they will want more. I would be in favor of a small $1-$2 boat launching fee, I know it will not be a couple $ for long. That $2 will go to $3, then $5 and so on. Just something to think about.

You must also remember that fishing license sales do not completly fund parks. Many parks across PA are either controlled by the DCNR or the PFBC. Many parks also have land around the lakes perimeter for hunting, thus hunting license sales also contribute. I'm shure most of the money that funds the parks as well as paying salaries comes from taxes paid by the PA resident taxpayer.

Offline the_mad_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2007, 11:46 PM »
Looks like I started something big here, I agree with most of you, I spend more than I pay for a license drinking on one night.... but I see the results...  If licenses went up, of course I'd pay it, I love to fish, BUT I want to see something in return for it. That's all

Offline Perch Jerk

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My bro is an ice hole
« Reply #28 on: Dec 10, 2007, 08:58 AM »
I wonder how much did it cost to make and distribute the stupid sticker?  Where did THAT money come from?  Will an increase in taxes/fees translate into increased services?

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 10, 2007, 07:23 PM »
dont get me wrong the cost of everything goes up
but to make a kid pay to fish is going too far
for some who familys dont have the money this would be horrible or have 5 or 6 kids this may be the only place they go for family time together.
and i agrtee with the comment earlier why do they buy big suv's for them to drive aroundin and this isnt just the fish commission.you see big durangos  quad cab 4x4' with one person in them./and iot isnt just the cost of the vehicle  how about the 15 mpg they get.
I wouldnt mind a increase in license but before its done ,show us where your going to cut overhead where its needed.
And i see nothing wrong with a maybe $5 launch fee for bigger launches but then you would have to pay for someone to be there 24-7 so there goes the $5 fee money and probably to some politicians family or friend's kid

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.