Author Topic: Eating Walleye Fins??  (Read 6393 times)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Eating Walleye Fins??
« on: Dec 08, 2007, 10:02 AM »
I was watching a Canadian fishing program (going fishing tv) that took place at a northern resort, as part of the shore lunch the guide cut the walleye's pectoral fin off leaving a hunk of belly meat attached, he dusted it with the same breading as the rest of the meat and tossed in in the fry....he said he eats the meat around the fin as well as nibbles on the fin itself...anyone try this?...I had a hard enuff time getting my wife into Walleye cheeks, i know it wont be easy to hand he a fin

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
Re: Eating Walleye Fins??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2007, 12:19 PM »
We too would cook them up at shore lunches when guiding up north, especially when some people wouldn't bring enough walleye to shore lunch because they were too busy catch big northerns  ::),  they'd add a little extra meat along w the cheeks.  We call them bat wings, or just wings, and I haven't eaten the fin just the meat, although others do.  I've even had some guests request keeping the tail to fry up (just the tail fin, no meat on it), so they could eat it like a potato chip, and that one I've never tried personally, but have cooked many of them.

Offline Stump Puller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2007, 03:49 PM »
"Fish wings"
That little chunk of meat on there is tender and sweet, good eating. We would save them and have a fish wing night up at the cabin. I like that Cagun Fish Crisp. Shoot, now lim hungry.
Be safe out there, and set the iron.

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2007, 05:42 PM »
fish wings ,  great name.
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline kirkville1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2008, 08:06 PM »
When i was a kid we used to eat bullhead tails fried in pancake batter....yum
Chris Jones
Team Panfish Persuaders
Navionics Ice Team

Offline Homer Jay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:15 PM »
I've eaten walleye fins several times, didn't do me any harm.  They're quite tasty fried up and battered, sort of like chips.

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2008, 03:32 PM »
I've eaten walleye fins several times, didn't do me any harm.  They're quite tasty fried up and battered, sort of like chips.

As far as I'm concerned it's the best meat on the Walleye. Better then cheeks and a lot more tender. I also love the cheeks

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2008, 10:55 AM »
Walleye wings are wicked, wicked good...tail too...I usually don't get any, my wife loves em...
It's all about Karma.....

Offline evross69

• IceShanty Rookie
  • That's my girl. And no, Shes not a hunting dog.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2008, 07:00 PM »
I'm in love with smelt fins and tail. My favorite part. Mmm.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

My dad raised me right.
  :P

Offline PeteTown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2008, 06:06 PM »
cheeks to bat wings what next ::)

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2008, 11:38 AM »
This was a hot topic last week at work. Wings was the preferred name. Popular consensus was that the wings were best just pan fried in butter. Some like the flour dusting and deep frying. All commented on how delicious they were. I do the cheeks already and I will start trying the wings as well and seeing how much the family likes them.
Regards,
Glen
PS - I second the smelt tails comment. I fry my smelts up til the tails are crispy and then eat the tails like potato chips.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.