The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Arthur  (Read 9946 times)

Offline GOTICE?

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lake Arthur
« on: Dec 07, 2007, 08:44 AM »
A bunch of us from Ohio usually head to Presque Isle for some ice fishing in early Feb but this year we are looking for any lake. I have heard some good things about Arthur. In your opinon should we forgo Presque and hit Arthur? We target panfish for a day or two and then switch to something bigger. It seems all we catch at Presque is all the gills we want and some crappies on the side. Any opinons on Arthur would help.

Offline ComplexSimon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Looking for the clear and solid stuff...
Re: Lake Arthur
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2007, 12:12 PM »
You'll probably get a mixed bag of responses to this question, but from my perspective you will be able to find similar fishing in Arthur as to what you've identified you are getting in PI.  I would suggest that unless you can locate the really good structure on the lake you will most likely see an average size per fish less than what you are used to at Erie.  I've had good days where I've really smacked the panfish (gills, crappie, and perch) with respectable size, but never like the ones I hear about coming out of PI through the ice.  Still, if it's closer for you guys a trip or two might not hurt to experience something different.

Some people will say the lake is a 'dead sea', but I've never had a day on the ice where I didn't get decent action.  It might not always be what I was looking for (have taken a lot of catfish through the ice over the past 5 years), but never really a 'fishless' day.

Each frozen wasteland holds a gem, the successful ice angler is 95% patient & 5% crazy!

Offline velcro29

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish ON!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2007, 05:05 PM »
A lot of guys have stopped fishing Lake Arthur for crappies!!!  I've made a few trips to PI and you can literally   watch nice size gills and a hand full of crappies bit your jig. I was amazed the 1st time!!!!  PI size of fish is much better in opinion. I haven't been blessed with the luck but I've heard of huge size perch when they are in the bay!!!
[]

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2007, 01:56 AM »
anybody checkin the lake out the shallow bays should be skimmin over wind died down tonight   wishfull thinkin   mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline jonesy74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2007, 05:29 PM »
I drove over the 528 bridge this evening and the lake is still skimmed over on both sides for as far as I could see. This got me wondering, would it be better if it started making ice from scratch or with the honeycombed ice still there?

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2007, 08:32 PM »
a foundation is some thing to build on no waves    mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2007, 09:17 PM »
even just a skim will help form the ice a ton faster. the wind doesnt hurt the ice in fact it can help it because it will blow the snow off of it

Offline ComplexSimon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Looking for the clear and solid stuff...
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2007, 09:28 PM »
Only if a foundation of skim covers the whole body of water.  The wind is the enemy of the ice if it can form waves prior to freeze up.  I'm hoping you are right that the skim is covering the majority of the lake, cause it won't be long before we get some temps that will make us all happy.

Each frozen wasteland holds a gem, the successful ice angler is 95% patient & 5% crazy!

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2007, 08:05 AM »
back to the origanal thread. moraine is a great lake for all species of fish.i recomend that lake

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2007, 01:21 PM »
back to the origanal thread. moraine is a great lake for all species of fish.i recomend that lake
me too jay!

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2007, 01:27 PM »
As soon as you guys get some colder temps I'll take the ride out across the state to "drown" some 12" suckers lookin for toothies  ;D
what kind of them toothies are ye lookin' for   mo

Offline lureman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2007, 10:53 PM »
has anybody had any luck using an aqua vu ice fishing on lake arthur? water is very stained and open water it is almost impossible to see anything. thanks.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2007, 08:26 AM »
I almost exclusively hunt muskies thru the ice....know there are some pigs in there callin my name
their callin penna and jayswimmers name too!

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2008, 08:13 PM »
i do love those toothies!!!

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2008, 11:57 AM »
ya guys lets stay on topic this is the tear wipen 4 day weekend braggin section  glowjig have to wait and see for saturday hey john i feel for ya no 4wd have to fish with the porch dogs lol bow wow thankx snapperoo for the comeback camotim where ya fishin anyone with a plow truck porch dog mo

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2008, 02:38 PM »
Imo if ya see a tall guy draggin a shanty and some gear on 422 stop and pick him up.....it'll be me....LOL   I'll be at Moraine this weekend. Truck runs good just 2 wheel drive. Guess I'll bring a extra Kieska in case I gotta stay till the snow melts. You'll find me on the lake also. Listen for the shanty with the polka's playin. Good luck guys and BE SAFE!!!!  Hopefully we'll all meet up again on the ice.....John    ps. one more post and I lose rookie status. I ain't posting no more....lol   With rookie status if ya make a mistake people just say   Ahhhh He's just a rookie....LOL
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2008, 07:53 PM »
ill be there too pajns! either back shannon or back muddy creek. let me know where you guys are heading out and ill try to plan it off of that

Offline toocheaptosmoke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is it lunch time yet?
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2008, 12:08 AM »
I might be down at the lake, not sure.  If you see a guy wearing camo's and carhartt's, with a homemade bucket seat and an army backpack full of gear, that's me.  ;D
[signature removed]

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2008, 11:53 AM »
i guess i'll be the guy with the big mouth lookin for the secret spot   lol     mo

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2008, 06:12 PM »
Tried to make it out today to check ice. Woke up not feelin well. Hope tommorrow to feel better. Lookin forward to spending sometime on the ice fishin. May ride out tommorrow if I feel better and see what the fellas are doin. Might just take a jiggie rod and some bait just in case no one is in Imo's honey hole.
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline whitetailmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shut up-n- fish
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2008, 07:39 AM »
Hey mo, tell me where your fishin so i can drill next to you and catch all the fish you cant!!
team I.C.Light

Offline fritschsr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2008, 08:52 AM »
yeah, let us know how thick it is, like to this weekend myself.
Dave
If you don't know where you are going, when you get there, well there you are.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2008, 10:34 AM »
Hey mo, tell me where your fishin so i can drill next to you and catch all the fish you cant!!
better yet you can gladly use my holes  happy valentines day  mo :-*

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2008, 10:39 AM »
Tried to make it out today to check ice. Woke up not feelin well. Hope tommorrow to feel better. Lookin forward to spending sometime on the ice fishin. May ride out tommorrow if I feel better and see what the fellas are doin. Might just take a jiggie rod and some bait just in case no one is in Imo's honey hole.
pajns i  feel for ya vitamin c in large doses all day every day till ya shake it Dr. mo

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2008, 05:25 PM »
Thanks Doctor 1Mo...will give it a try. Saurekrat periogies help knock it out ya too.....LOL

Offline Glowjig

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My "Happy Place"
« Reply #25 on: Feb 15, 2008, 07:25 PM »
Thanks Doctor 1Mo...will give it a try. Saurekrat periogies help knock it out ya too.....LOL
I thought I smelled something! Good thing the fish cant smell that!!!! WOW See ya Sunday, with the boys, so play nice!

Glowjig
Hey it's nice to meet ya but, I got to run for this flag, Be right back!!!

GLOWJIG

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 16, 2008, 12:07 PM »
  Gas...$30.00... Minnows..$4.50... Towed up from gettin stuck over a hill...$85.00.....16 1/2 inch Crappie from Moraine...priceless... ...LOL

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 16, 2008, 06:33 PM »
where you the one who got stuck back in the muddy creek parking lot?

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 16, 2008, 08:02 PM »
Yeppers!!  Twas I who made a Boo-Boo...lol

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 16, 2008, 08:56 PM »
  Gas...$30.00... Minnows..$4.50... Towed up from gettin stuck over a hill...$85.00.....16 1/2 inch Crappie from Moraine...priceless... ...LOL
i heard that story all the way up wilhelm said it was priceless slinging mud on the ice i would have yanked you out with the tank your the story of the day  mo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.