Author Topic: Wall tent ice fishing..  (Read 9186 times)

Offline Marlin07

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They were here yesterday...
Wall tent ice fishing..
« on: Dec 06, 2007, 08:21 PM »
Love the site....

I have yet to see a thread on anyone setting up their wall tent on the ice. Me and a buddy did it last year and had a blast. Its a 12 by 14 so theres lots of room and what not. we cut a hole about 4*5 ft to fish from, we were fishing in about 8' of water so the sight fishing was deluxo. Any one else bring their hunting tent on the ice? Any pointers or experience would be great too...

good fishing!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
Re: Wall tent ice fishing..
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2007, 08:14 PM »
I have an 8x12 I was thinking about using....

Offline Marlin07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2007, 12:58 PM »
Stumper,

You'll have a blast if you do! Knowing you don't have to drive anywhere at the end of the day is always nice.
It helps to bring ply wood along for a floor also about 3 times more wood than you will burn to keep warm. I have a trip in january in the works, after all it's been a while since I'v been half in bag before noon....

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2007, 07:38 PM »
Sounds like that could be a lot of fun for a group of people. Just make sure to mark that big hole when you clear out so someone don't step in it.

NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Marlin07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2007, 09:28 PM »
The big clear spot on the ice is a dead give away for the hole,your right though, you have to be careful for sure

Offline MNViking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2008, 12:45 PM »
I've been searching for a thread about this. I'm moving to AK and a lot of the lakes are pretty remote. I figured instead of spending so much time traveling I would camp on the ice. I've been thinking of getting a custom wall tent made and then fabricating an insulated folding floor for it. That way I could take off after work and get set up friday night, and be set to fish all weekend. I would haul the whole contraption on a sled behind a snowmachine.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2008, 05:51 AM »
Keep your eye out for insulated floor  in military surplus!  its about 3/4 to 1" thick   great thing to have  I bought one last year  think it was 6' or 8   by 20' long I cut it in half   then that in half again  worked perfectly for my Otter village    kept it dry and warm inside!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2008, 12:45 PM »
Love the site....

I have yet to see a thread on anyone setting up their wall tent on the ice. Me and a buddy did it last year and had a blast. Its a 12 by 14 so theres lots of room and what not. we cut a hole about 4*5 ft to fish from, we were fishing in about 8' of water so the sight fishing was deluxo. Any one else bring their hunting tent on the ice? Any pointers or experience would be great too...

good fishing!

how much did that wall tent cost?/

Offline Marlin07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2008, 02:30 PM »
I can't recall. About 1500.00 Canadian so about 42 bucks US. Once you factor in the stove, an enternal frame and what not the cost add's up pretty quick. I split the cost three ways with a couple hunting/fishing buddies.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 09, 2008, 03:34 PM »
My Buddy has a GP-Medium tent...16X32' we were going to set up for a derby. We never did  >:( as we decided to fish instead ;)

It was really windy that day so it was a good decision.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2008, 04:14 PM »
My Buddy has a GP-Medium tent...16X32' we were going to set up for a derby. We never did  >:( as we decided to fish instead ;)

It was really windy that day so it was a good decision.
32' that's long enough to run for a flag on the other end. ;D :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 09, 2008, 08:29 PM »
From my military days... The GP large is 56' long and takes more than two men and a boy to set it up. ;)

(GP=General purpose)

http://www.calarmy.com/tents/index.html
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline woodfolks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 14, 2008, 06:21 PM »
Just got a Titanium Goat tepee tent. I also got the stove that goes with it
It has no floor and is a type 6.5.
I am also going to use it for hunting and camping in winter and fall.

This winter Ill set it up on the ice and have a wood stove in side for heat and getting
to some out of the way places. Ill post pics later in the year.

I have an Ice Cube 4 man that I love but this is even lighter.
If I had to do it again I think I would by the 8 instead of the 6.5 (4 man) 108 sq feet
The 8 is taller and bigger 200 sq feet

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2008, 09:56 AM »
I'm checking this out! I have a cube also and it is pretty light.

Offline UserX

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Perca Flavences!
« Reply #14 on: Sep 15, 2008, 10:09 AM »
I can't recall. About 1500.00 Canadian so about 42 bucks US. Once you factor in the stove, an enternal frame and what not the cost add's up pretty quick. I split the cost three ways with a couple hunting/fishing buddies.

LMAO@ 42bucks us...

Certified Youth Instructor for Michigan State Univ.,
Certified instructor for Project F.I.S.H..(Friends. Involved. With Sport.Fishing.Heritage .)
Take a kid fishing to keep our legacy around.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 27, 2008, 10:15 AM »
Just got a Titanium Goat tepee tent. I also got the stove that goes with it
It has no floor and is a type 6.5.
I am also going to use it for hunting and camping in winter and fall.

This winter Ill set it up on the ice and have a wood stove in side for heat and getting
to some out of the way places. Ill post pics later in the year.

I have an Ice Cube 4 man that I love but this is even lighter.
If I had to do it again I think I would by the 8 instead of the 6.5 (4 man) 108 sq feet
The 8 is taller and bigger 200 sq feet

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/tents.html

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 27, 2008, 10:19 AM »

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #17 on: Sep 27, 2008, 01:26 PM »
pretty cool set up jimmy, i like the smoke stack set up.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline lippy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Sep 27, 2008, 01:38 PM »
Love the site....

good fishing!

Offline lippy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Sep 27, 2008, 01:48 PM »
Love the site....

good fishing!

I have used a wall tent for about 5 years for a derby here in southwest WYO it works great I use a propane bottle with a two burner heater anchor with lag bolts to the ice with cord less drill. use 8" holes to fish in.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #20 on: Sep 28, 2008, 09:25 AM »
did you have to deal with winds at all?

Offline Marlin07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Sep 28, 2008, 02:10 PM »
Yep, wind can be a bit of a challenge. Ice anchors are the ticket. Piling snow on the sod cloth and putting in a plywood floor on top seemed to work well for us when we were out last time. Never had the luck to deal with any major winds though

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 01, 2008, 07:03 PM »
God Bless the men that invented plywood and Duct-tape ;D

Offline J_Jaacks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 01, 2008, 10:15 PM »
Keep your eye out for insulated floor  in military surplus!  its about 3/4 to 1" thick   great thing to have  I bought one last year  think it was 6' or 8   by 20' long I cut it in half   then that in half again  worked perfectly for my Otter village    kept it dry and warm inside!

Can you include some picture and maybe some more specific information on what to look for and were?  I think that maybe that would work in my Yukon as well.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Oct 02, 2008, 08:23 AM »
I got it off ebay I think it was 8'x 20' I cut it down  and duck taped the new seams   wife wont let me use her sewing machine( prob a good thing) If I can find a picture Ill post it
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Oct 02, 2008, 08:39 AM »
How do You get stitched together fingers apart.  ???  ???  ???  ;D

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.