Author Topic: Check out the new setup  (Read 3395 times)

Offline GMC350

• IceShanty Rookie
Check out the new setup
« on: Dec 05, 2007, 08:06 PM »
During the off season i went and picked up a clam 6800, compliments of ebay, and made a new sled for her to pull out on the ice. Once the shanty is actually set up its looks huge. let me know what you think about the new sled as well as the new shanty, if theres ne thing i could do to them to make it better please. thanx

Offline paulwhittom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take what you want, and pay for it
Re: Check out the new setup
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2007, 07:04 AM »
That sled looks pretty cool, tried pulling it on the snow yet, how does it work?  ;D ???
Its easier to beg forgiveness than it is to get permission

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2007, 07:13 AM »
Sweet looking!  :clap: :clap: :clap:
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline kirkwooders

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Websters definition of a northern red neck.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2007, 07:21 AM »
GMC350,
Keep that sled off the pavement!!!  I've got one that I built that is real similar to yours and when the ski's get scratched or the snow gets deep she is just about impossible to pull around.   >:(  I don't think that it has anything to do with the ton of crap that I put on it.  ::)
"There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid!"

Offline GMC350

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2007, 08:54 AM »
paulwhittom,

I havent had it on the ice yet, but I am looking forward to getting out asap and trying it out.

kirkwooders,

thanx for the advice with the concrete, im trying to keep it off the concrete as much as posible to keep the skis in good shape as long as i can.

Offline cmspence

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2007, 08:52 PM »
looks good
 i was just thinking i dont know if its a big deal or not but
1-i noticed that the tow rope is on the shanty
2-i dont see a stop or anything in front of the sled

do you think if the sled gets stuck in snow or when the shanty gets iced over you will keep pulling the shanty off the sled

well i guess it looks like you can strap it down side to side.

Offline cporter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2007, 06:12 PM »
Let us know it works...I made something similar to pull my Clam 5600. It was made from 2x4 and allot lower to the ground. I had a heck of a time trying to get through deeper snow. Because of the width, it was hard to turn too. My next attempt will be something with a wide flat bottom to support the whole shanty...

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2007, 06:22 PM »
If you find that it sinks too much in the snow, try an old pair of water skis.  They tend to float on snow a little better.  Put eye bolts in the tips and then you can hook a rope to them or a rigid hitch if you pull the sled with a machine. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's as good as ICE FISHING
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2007, 12:20 AM »
nice job GM.  I did the same with my 6800.   Took my old k2 skis and made a sled to pull it on.  One thing to watch, as I learned the hard way.  I loaded up after fishing all day (at night), and man the thing pulled like it was 500 lbs.  I unpacked everything, pulled the shack off and turned the sled over to find lots of ice on the skis.  Had to scape it off with my metal ice dipper.  Next time I'll check over the skis "before" I load up.  I like the room the 6800 has, I have to run the heater alot to stay toasty, and I wish they would have made the bottom side material longer like flaps to throw snow on and keep air drafts out.  Now I'm inclined to get a flip over for the many times I head out alone, just easier for a 55 year old these days when I have to hoof it.  Good luck fishin....

Offline GMC350

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2008, 10:05 PM »
First of all yes i switched the tow rope to the sled and not the shanty sitting on top, lol i seen that too.
As for the sled, on ice this thing pulls like a charm. Actually the first time i had it out on the ice with 200lbs of gear i could pull it with one finger. As for the deep snow im not sure how she pulls, hopefully good or ill need some wider skis. ne one looking to make a sled for there shanty this works great, the pvc wont rust and its very light, and pulls great.

Offline saranacjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2008, 10:48 AM »
Thanks for the post. Looks sweet pulled my little clam 2000 yesterday in the snow and thought i was going to die.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2008, 01:24 PM »
Nice job. Ground clearance is the key for when the snow gets deep. Also looks like a good height to sit on if your searching for active fish before setting up the shack.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2008, 09:11 PM »
if the skis do get scratched from cement, just rub them heavily with a candle, fills in the grooves and slides great.

Offline GMC350

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2008, 06:07 PM »
yea i have some actual ski wax for my skis and tried that but i think this tuff u need to met on, kinda bumed but ill try to rub it on to fill the cracks or scraps when i do get them

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.