Author Topic: Spring Bobbers  (Read 3272 times)

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Spring Bobbers
« on: Dec 04, 2007, 07:44 AM »
There are a variety of options on the market. What is your favorite type of spring bobber?

I have a guy make them for me from stainless steel wire.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Spring Bobbers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2007, 07:49 AM »
I've tried several from guitar string, flat metal strips, to bic lighter springs, but my favorite is the one Greg Wilcynski made for St. Croix.
Ken                                          

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2007, 07:56 AM »
Bean,

I just bought three of those st. croix spring bobbers and then found out it was only a replacement spring. I called st. croix and they said that the end guide necessary for holding the spring  is only available on the legend and they are not sold seperately. For such a great idea and system that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard. I am sure he could have sold thousands more if you could buy the whole get up seperate from the legend rod. ::) ???
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2007, 08:12 AM »
Yes they could, but then not many would buy their legend ice rods.

Read over this thread for some more info-->  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=30376.msg303126#msg303126
Ken                                          

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2007, 08:18 AM »
thanks,

Time to head over to the hardware.

Crappiekeith

« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2007, 08:55 AM »
I like the flat spring the best.
Coiled spring are typically to flimsey and they are hard to free up the ice that forms in them.
The round wire stock type are way to stiff for my application.
When it comes to flat springs,there is some modification nedded as they are too long.
I'll shorten them and wrap them to my rod with thread and glue with clear as nails fingernail polish or flexament glue.

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2007, 10:47 AM »
   I like the coil type when the perch and gills are really biting light. I know the ice is a problem with these , but if you blow on them it melts the ice shake the water off and your good for a few min. I also like the flat springs, I tie mine on to the rod so I can adjust the length, in for heavy lures out for lighter lures or a more sensitivity.
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Crappiekeith

« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2007, 11:00 AM »
The flat ones work good for gills too.

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2007, 11:02 AM »
I like the flat spring the best.
Coiled spring are typically to flimsey and they are hard to free up the ice that forms in them.
The round wire stock type are way to stiff for my application.
When it comes to flat springs,there is some modification nedded as they are too long.
I'll shorten them and wrap them to my rod with thread and glue with clear as nails fingernail polish or flexament glue.

(Image removed from quote.)

What he said.

Spike
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Crappiekeith

« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2007, 01:26 PM »
With a spring I typically want the spring as straight as it can be out from the rod.
On some very light hits or any downward bend I'm rearing.
A tip in straightening the spring after several fish.Slide the spring through your thumb and forfinger and arch up as you slide the spring through your fingers.
Just bending the spring will kink it.

Offline Mikey B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2007, 03:34 PM »
Myself, i like the Flat ones, and have used them for years.
But last year i bought a Agua- vu camera, and was fishing a clear water lake where i could see the fish and the tear drop, and had fish come in, both gills and crappie, suck the jig in but never moved the spring bobber.
So i just grabed another rod minus the spring and started site fishing, see fish, see jig disapear, set the hook.
Just got me to thinking, how many fish do we miss, not seeing the bite on a springbobber, or regular bobber.
Just my 2 cents.

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2007, 05:46 PM »
For Me i use a rubber band with a very tiny red&white bobber
  works for me

steve
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2007, 08:54 PM »
     The thing with the coil springs is that even though they freeze and need a little attention they are so sensitive that when fish bite light you can see the weight come off the spring and it comes up instead of down. Set the hook and !! well you get the point and I get dinner.
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2007, 04:38 PM »
I got a frabil [anfish popper Fri and used it today for the first time.  I loved it. If I would not have had it I probably would not have gotten but 2 fish.  They are super sensitive and are no problem at all in the shack with freezing up.  Though I could see a problem if sitting on a bucket in the cold with them freezing up.  I think I will buy some more of the spring bobbers to put on my other poles too.
<br />

Offline wiicefishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2007, 04:13 PM »
Some of you guys are missing the beauty of the cheap flat metal bobber. Don't tape them or glue them on. Use the stock rod clip (i know it seems flimsy and a small amount of tape so that you can still adjust the length of the spring. If you are fishing a heavy lure like a sweetish pimple, you want to use a short spring. If your fishing a light gil jig, make the bobber more sensitive by pulling it out. Can be used for any lure, and any type of fish.

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2007, 08:34 PM »
Just got me to thinking, how many fish do we miss, not seeing the bite on a springbobber, or regular bobber.

A lot... I have witnessed the same thing sight fishing.  That was an eye opener!
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.