The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Keyhole  (Read 2806 times)

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Keyhole
« on: Dec 02, 2007, 04:52 PM »
just got back from checking out keyhole... there is light skim ice across the main lake with a few open water spots the ducks and geese seem to find comfy. up against the rocks off of pat's point and coulter bay there is some open water for a few feet.

back in windy creek i managed to walk out about 10-12' from shore near the boat ramp before the ice began creaking... as i was leaving a black dodge pulled up with a spud bar and a few tip-ups in the bed. he walked out and was tapping as i drove over the hill. he might have been setting a few out for this evening in the shallows. not certain of the depth there as i've never been out on that particular piece of water.

~ G

Offline Hellsangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Keyhole
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2007, 06:47 PM »
Thanks for the report . Seen some pics of some hog walleye coming from there this fall . Sure wish it was close by for me .
Utah Ice

Offline Nothern Plains Icer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2007, 11:19 PM »
Anyone have an ice update for keyhole?  I might drive out this weekend to check it out just for something to do. Hopefully will get after the fishing hard right after christmas.   :tipup:

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2007, 08:52 AM »
just got off'n work and thought about heading to KH but the snow is still coming down pretty good... may fish the lake here in town after i clean off the drive and stay close to the fire. if my daughter doesn't decide to come over today from spearfish i might make a trip to KH or Healy, about the same distance and can't decide perch at healy or crappie/eyes at kh...

if i go i'll let you know about the ice. i walked out on our local water this morning and it held up to my fat @ss. G&F recently tossed a number of trout in there too a month or two ago...

~ G

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2007, 12:16 PM »
how much ice is on Healy??Let me know if you go maybe I'll meet you out there..

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2007, 06:20 PM »
Checked out Keyhole today for a little bit.  Ice conditions are really dicey in some areas.  Right at shore in some places the ice is five inches, ten feet farther out, just barely two, and in several places it looks like it just recently froze over.  I drilled a couple holes just out from shore about 15 feet and just my weight was making the water come up the holes when I stood by them (i weigh 155 lbs.).  I guess mule creek froze first, so thats where the best ice is.   Some guys were out fishing, but nobody was definitely getting too far out in the lake.  Definitely do not want to take anything heavy, and no four wheelers yet.  Need some good cold weather for a week or two.  Caution is definitely advised.  Happy Fishing!   :tipup:

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2007, 07:52 PM »
Checked out Keyhole today for a little bit.  Ice conditions are really dicey in some areas.  Right at shore in some places the ice is five inches, ten feet farther out, just barely two, and in several places it looks like it just recently froze over.  I drilled a couple holes just out from shore about 15 feet and just my weight was making the water come up the holes when I stood by them (i weigh 155 lbs.).  I guess mule creek froze first, so thats where the best ice is.   Some guys were out fishing, but nobody was definitely getting too far out in the lake.  Definitely do not want to take anything heavy, and no four wheelers yet.  Need some good cold weather for a week or two.  Caution is definitely advised.  Happy Fishing!   :tipup:

i didn't get too far out from shore myself but i guess i was still standing on 15-18 fow if anything gave way i was screwed... on the other hand tho... i did hear G&F didn't drop in any baitfish to feed the lake... if so... they should be out foraging more.

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2007, 07:00 PM »
I am heading to Keyhole tomorrow and have only fished the lake in the summer.  My dad has to work in gillette on sunday so figured I would go up with him and do a little fishing.  Was wondering if you guys that have fished the lake have any tips.  Where to fish for eye's and crappie, and pike?  What works well? And where can I get some bait(minnows)?  ANy tips would be appreciated.
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2007, 09:19 PM »
baiter,
          You can get bait in Pinehaven at the the first bar going into town can't miss it. Also I guess they are catching fish right off the boat ramp around the first corner to the North.

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2007, 10:17 PM »
thanks for the info BigIce hope we have some luck, but I know we will have fun.
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2008, 05:15 PM »
How is the fishing at Keyhole? Will be in the area in a few weeks. ???

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2008, 11:15 AM »
How is the fishing at Keyhole? Will be in the area in a few weeks. ???

Fished out at Keyhole off the Pine Haven boat dock yesterday.  Had my daughters out with me so I didn't move around.  We did get into a lot of crappies, must have caught about 35 - 40 of them, just catch and release.  They didn't like waxworms, and only had a couple bites on minnows.  But if you had a jigging minnow, you were in the game.  Saw a couple wallies on the camera, but couldn't get them real interested.  Was a good day to have the kids out!  Quite a few people out with the nice weather.     :tipup:

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2008, 08:51 PM »
Thanks for the info, how thick was the ice. ???

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2008, 09:37 PM »
Thanks for the info, how thick was the ice. ???

I'm gonna say there is about a foot where I was.  Some people had there pickups parked just off to the side of the boat ramp on the ice, but nobody was really driving on it except with four wheelers.  I haven't had a chance to really go anywhere else on the lake, but I do know a few weeks ago, the ice really varied depending on where you went.   :tipup:

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2008, 09:46 PM »
Sweet I sure enjoy the Crappie action there, I will post again on this thread when I know my exact schedule. I could use some wally info, have onle ever caught a few at Keyhole and would love to hook a northern!!

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2008, 08:23 AM »
Looks like I will be there ; on the 9th of Feb and again on the 1st of March. ;D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2008, 11:25 AM »
Well, welcome to NE WY.  In case your interested, there is an ice fishing tournament at Keyhole that weekend in February.  It starts on Saturday and runs overnight into Sunday.  Might check it out, I've been working in the past and this is the first time I'll be able to go.  Gonna be good and cold for the weekend, so it should add some more ice.    :tipup: 

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2008, 05:33 PM »
I called a friend in Gillette this morning and he said the fishing has been excellent!!!!  :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.