Author Topic: Sylvan Lake  (Read 44534 times)

Offline sliderredman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Sylvan Lake
« Reply #60 on: Feb 05, 2008, 03:48 PM »
this makes me so mad with jealousy i live in red deer and ive fished sylvan lots and ive always been skunked i would like to catch walleye and northern and burbot out of there just like you guy talk about is there any tips you could give me for the next time i go  ive been to rr23 and out by the light house and  the other side and ive been skunked every time i cant even get a white to bite and guys around me are catching whites i ask them and even use the same thing and still nothing. please help a fellow fisher in need of a pike walleye or burbot

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
Hali
« Reply #61 on: Feb 05, 2008, 05:40 PM »

Offline enternamehere

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Feb 05, 2008, 08:13 PM »
are wire worms the best way to go for white fish just experiment with diff colors? ive never caught a white fish and thats my mission for the rest of the season, any pointers anyone?

Offline enternamehere

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Feb 05, 2008, 08:24 PM »
are the hali's for whites as well?

Offline TheSylvanSpinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can i claim the tackle shop owner as a dependent?
« Reply #64 on: Feb 05, 2008, 09:07 PM »
are the hali's for whites as well?

I've caught Whites on a Northland Forage Minnow with the Hali replacement dropper chain, so yeah they work or can work.

Offline TheSylvanSpinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Feb 11, 2008, 12:13 AM »
Sylvan has been slow lately, anyone else having any luck?

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Feb 11, 2008, 09:25 AM »
Sylvan has been slow lately, anyone else having any luck?

You said it.  I was there on Sunday with a buddy of mine.  It was slow.  The most exciting thing that we saw were at least 3 differenet large pike.  One was the biggest I have ever seen.  My biggest to date is an 18lber and this fish put that one to shame.  Hard to guess from 8 feet up but definately over 25 lbs.  I have heard of some of the lunkers at Sylvan but didn't buy in that much.....I buy in now.  Seeing is believing.  One of the other nice pike, probably about 15-16 lbs did hit my hook and I had him on for about 5 seconds.  I was fishing for whites at the time with 6 lb line....sigh.  The whites were pretty tightlipped and dispersed.  Tough weather....tough weekend but still exciting at times.

Offline TheSylvanSpinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Feb 11, 2008, 11:10 AM »
You said it.  I was there on Sunday with a buddy of mine.  It was slow.  The most exciting thing that we saw were at least 3 differenet large pike.  One was the biggest I have ever seen.  My biggest to date is an 18lber and this fish put that one to shame.  Hard to guess from 8 feet up but definately over 25 lbs.  I have heard of some of the lunkers at Sylvan but didn't buy in that much.....I buy in now.  Seeing is believing.  One of the other nice pike, probably about 15-16 lbs did hit my hook and I had him on for about 5 seconds.  I was fishing for whites at the time with 6 lb line....sigh.  The whites were pretty tightlipped and dispersed.  Tough weather....tough weekend but still exciting at times.

Yeah i mentioned something similar on the "Where is everyone fishing this weekend" thread. Me and my brother watched a sow swim around for awhile while another smaller one and i mean mid teens smaller took my wire worm on 4lb test. The one we saw swimming around bottom had us both speechless, easily mid 20's. At least we figured out why we had not seen any Whites all day.

Offline Rusty Hooke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Feb 11, 2008, 11:44 AM »
That does it Sylvan.....we have to get together again and slay that big bugger!!
Seems like he's aching to be caught.
He's putting a crimp into the white fishing action.
I'm having shoulder surgery Feb.21 so I'll be out of action for a few weeks....but when I'm back in the game we need to hook up (no pun intended).
><{{{*>   Born to fish....Forced to work  <*}}}><

Offline fishcabopigeonlake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Feb 11, 2008, 12:55 PM »
Rusty Hook---Looks like you better fish all you can before Feb 21.
Think you may try Pigeon?

Offline TheSylvanSpinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Feb 11, 2008, 04:06 PM »
That does it Sylvan.....we have to get together again and slay that big bugger!!
Seems like he's aching to be caught.
He's putting a crimp into the white fishing action.
I'm having shoulder surgery Feb.21 so I'll be out of action for a few weeks....but when I'm back in the game we need to hook up (no pun intended).

Sounds good Rusty, you name the time and place. The problem is Sylvan Northerns are unusually intelligent, they won't take anything you would typically throw at them but when your jigging away with a wire worm and 4lb test they are all over it. I think they do it on purpose. Good luck with the surgery, keep me posted.

Cheers,

Offline TheSylvanSpinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Feb 18, 2008, 11:27 AM »
Saw over 60 Whites easily yesterday, had one and she spit the hook they just aren't aggressive? I tried every colour and hook....everything, i never changed hooks that much ever. Had a little northern on the wire worm broke the line and managed to get a Walleye on a wire worm as well.

Offline Sir Kenneth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Feb 18, 2008, 01:24 PM »
damnit! knew i should have come up there yesterday morning! Going to be out there the whole weekend next weekend though spinner, we're going to have to get out and do some slaying! where were you fishing yesterday? RR23? sounds like a lot of guys are having good luck at the North end and out by Maren's place at Sunbreaker Cove.

Offline enternamehere

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Feb 18, 2008, 05:16 PM »
you saw over 60? what depth are you fishing at can you see down the whole, or do you have a camera going
Saw over 60 Whites easily yesterday, had one and she spit the hook they just aren't aggressive? I tried every colour and hook....everything, i never changed hooks that much ever. Had a little northern on the wire worm broke the line and managed to get a Walleye on a wire worm as well.

Offline TheSylvanSpinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Feb 20, 2008, 06:28 PM »
you saw over 60? what depth are you fishing at can you see down the whole, or do you have a camera going

Fishing around 8-12ft no camera needed the most i saw at one time was 6

Was out family day to didn't see as many Whites as the other day but i managed to catch one only? I nailed a Walleye and a Northern on the wireworm and ended the day with a couple Burbs 

Offline TheSylvanSpinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Feb 22, 2008, 04:15 PM »
Bright and early, where is everyone else going?

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Feb 22, 2008, 09:59 PM »
probably Sylvan, not 100% yet...but sounds like it's producing right now....

Good luck this weekend all!!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline tchow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Feb 23, 2008, 09:30 PM »
Hopefully other faired better than I did ;) ;)
Got on to RR23 around 0830hrs and setup on on a flat before a good drop-off. Took a friend that never been to Sylvan or Ice a White. He managed to get 3 on a Yellow Wireworm while I got the big Fat NOTHING! LOL
Saw a few but not too interested in the offerings.
Got to meet SylvanSpinner and fished with him..Sir Kenneth showed up later in the day..
Day was not a total wash out. Seen the "infamous" Hogaroo.. She is over 40" !! She pause and gave my Lure a sideglance. Was hoping she would take a swipe as I spooled up with over 100 yds of 20lb Fireline. Not a chance! She is a smart one! Seen a couple of football Dingalings that would be over the 10 lb mark. Pre-spawn Hens full of Roe... It'll be soon enough when they really get action going there. 

Offline TheSylvanSpinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Feb 24, 2008, 03:33 AM »
Hopefully other faired better than I did ;) ;)
Got on to RR23 around 0830hrs and setup on on a flat before a good drop-off. Took a friend that never been to Sylvan or Ice a White. He managed to get 3 on a Yellow Wireworm while I got the big Fat NOTHING! LOL
Saw a few but not too interested in the offerings.
Got to meet SylvanSpinner and fished with him..Sir Kenneth showed up later in the day..
Day was not a total wash out. Seen the "infamous" Hogaroo.. She is over 40" !! She pause and gave my Lure a sideglance. Was hoping she would take a swipe as I spooled up with over 100 yds of 20lb Fireline. Not a chance! She is a smart one! Seen a couple of football Dingalings that would be over the 10 lb mark. Pre-spawn Hens full of Roe... It'll be soon enough when they really get action going there. 

Yeah sorry about your luck today tchow it was slow, i had one more chance at a White after you guys left but Sir Kenneth was talking in my back swing so i missed it and left with only the two. Anyway you got to see Molly which is always good.

Hopefully tomorrow is a little hotter

Offline TheSylvanSpinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Feb 25, 2008, 12:06 AM »
Man has the fishing gone straight into the basement out at Sylvan, lost a nice Northern again he nailed a little 1/64oz jig on 4lb Stren Magnathin line? We watched him come nice and slow and stare it down, then the gills flared and the game was over. tchow he was probably that one you saw about 12-15lbs, couldn't believe it caught one lousy White and a little Burb and saw maybe 6 Whites all day.

Offline King Fisher22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Feb 25, 2008, 10:20 AM »
Thats too bad.... hopeully it picks up.  But then again a bad day fishing is WAY better than a good night shift on the rigs!
FLAAAAAAAAAAAAG!  Or should I say.... BELL!

Offline Sir Kenneth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Feb 25, 2008, 01:23 PM »
Yeah sorry about your luck today tchow it was slow, i had one more chance at a White after you guys left but Sir Kenneth was talking in my back swing so i missed it and left with only the two. Anyway you got to see Molly which is always good.

Hopefully tomorrow is a little hotter

Sure sure! you were too busy yackin away and didnt even notice the fish on your line there spinner!

Offline tchow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Feb 25, 2008, 07:09 PM »
Sounds like we got us an ole fashioned Fish'Off between Sylvan and Kenneth ! ;)
You guys gonna be there on Sat in the AM

Offline Sir Kenneth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Feb 25, 2008, 07:36 PM »
Yeah hopefully if we even see any fish! Going to be either there or Pine Lake, not sure yet

Offline TheSylvanSpinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Feb 29, 2008, 11:11 AM »
Who's making it out this weekend? Sounds like a good sized group will be down RR23.

Offline Wild-man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Feb 29, 2008, 01:14 PM »
we'll be there too!!!!!!!!!!
see y'all tomorrow!!!!
Never Met a Fish I Didn't Like...

Offline Sir Kenneth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Feb 29, 2008, 01:22 PM »
Sorry to say i can't make it tomorrow now! sounds like a big group of guys going! good luck catching the 40"+ monster lurking in the depths down there fellas. 

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Feb 29, 2008, 11:12 PM »
Heading to Sylvan from Edmonton tomorrow morn'

Hoping to leave for 7 be on the ice for 9.

RR23...gonna check it out on a map get out there and hopefully catch my first white.

If any of you guys wouldn't mind a guy tagging along and can show a guy a thing or two bout these GD whitefish I can never even find let alone catch....that would be groovy.

if so....can give me a truck descrip...hut descrip....maybe can tee up with Y'all.

Good fishin' all!!!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline tchow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Mar 01, 2008, 10:51 PM »
Sylvan: Should have stayed longer. I stayed until 7pm. The Burbs and Whites started rocking just the South of where we were. Marcum was showing fish constantly. First were the Whites and then the Ling came after them. Managed to ice a 19" White. Haven't seen too many of those...

Offline Wild-man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Mar 02, 2008, 07:53 PM »
hey TCHOW!!!!!
it was great to meet you and everyone else on saturday.
if you want to see many, many 19'+ whities, you should frequent the central alberta lakes!!!
+20"ers and pretty common.
kudos on that hog!!!!!
pretty sure that was the biggest whitefish there that day!!!
sylvan has tonnes of whites but few BIG hens...
cheers,  gw

Never Met a Fish I Didn't Like...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.