Author Topic: Is zoom worth getting?  (Read 3225 times)

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
Is zoom worth getting?
« on: Nov 28, 2007, 12:05 AM »
Hey guys and gals, I was looking to buy a flasher for this season and was wondering if zoom would be really neccessary for fishing no deeper than 40 fow. I know all the units with zoom are great but do I really need it if your average depth of fishing is like 8 feet to 16 feet. I was looking at the vexilars because they have the shallow water setting and I like the carry case. So my question to you guys is should I get a unit with zoom when I primarilly fish shallow flat bottoms where I dont need to get a good view of it because its huge already? I like the FL 12 because its in my price range and I dont think I will need zoom. And are the dual transducers better than the 19 degree one that i would want to get? thanks

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
Re: Is zoom worth getting?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2007, 03:24 AM »
I fish 20 FOW and less usually bout 15 ft. and I find myself using the adjustable zoom on my LX 3 ALL the time, especially for the bottom hugging perch and walleyes. Also I then adjust my zoom up the water column to catch the suspended crappies
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2007, 07:29 AM »
Sure.  It gives you better target separation and allows you to see more of what is going on in the area your fishing.  I use the split zoom on my Lowrance frequently to see the bottom of the water column better.

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2007, 07:44 AM »
I generally use the zoom on my FL-20 most of the time to see the bottom part of teh water colum better. I'm targeting walleyes specifically and then tend to hug the bottom.

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2007, 08:18 AM »
I have an older FL-8 without zoom, I still do good. An with the color unit, yes I can still see fish on the bottom. If I bought a new unit now, yes I would buy it with zoom. I use the zoom on my boat all the time.
http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

CSP88

« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2007, 08:38 AM »
Hey guys and gals, I was looking to buy a flasher for this season and was wondering if zoom would be really neccessary for fishing no deeper than 40 fow. I know all the units with zoom are great but do I really need it if your average depth of fishing is like 8 feet to 16 feet. I was looking at the vexilars because they have the shallow water setting and I like the carry case. So my question to you guys is should I get a unit with zoom when I primarilly fish shallow flat bottoms where I dont need to get a good view of it because its huge already? I like the FL 12 because its in my price range and I dont think I will need zoom. And are the dual transducers better than the 19 degree one that i would want to get? thanks

Neccessary.....no, helpful....yes, to some extent.  If you mainly target fish in shallow water the zoom may help some but you will still inhance your fishing experience using a Vexilar without the zoom mode.  The Fl-12 would be a good choice as you mentioned the built in lower power mode is a great asset when fishing shallow water or in thick weeds.  As far as transducers go, the dual beam gives you the most flexabilty but if you mainly fish shallow flats without much cover the 19* would be the more economical choice. 

Chad

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2007, 08:56 AM »

This is what you have to decide Chiller... Your fishing situations are very similar to the conditions that I and most ice fisherman fish.  Vexilar non-zoom target seperation is 2.65", MarCum is 2.15" in regular mode and is better and is displayed more clearly.  Your looking to spend about $350 to $399 on a new FL-12, the $399 is with the dual beam. The flat screen on the vex is nice but in direct sunlight the glare is quite noticeable. For an additional $20 fishing pro store has free shipping on reconditioned MarCum LX-5's, dual beam 8/20 deg. transducer with warranty for $419.  These units have been purchased heavily at a substantial savings and are in like new condition. You mention the shallow water setting on the Vexilar unit's and I have to tell you that this is bandaid for a powerhead that has not seen an upgrade in years. Vexilar blends two colors to make one and MarCum gives you 3 distinct colors in the LX-3TC and LX-5 that allow the user to really diagnose and perfect presentations and this allows you to fish stacked targets and heavy weed cover so much easier. Take it from a past FL8/FL-18 user, MarCum tech advancements are the real deal regardless if your fishing shallow or deep. The interference rejection package is also top-notch and MarCum is made in the USA.   Vexilar makes a good unit that will help you catch fish but MarCum's advancements combined with there standard packages give you more bang for the dollar. The LX-3TC reconditioned is only $319 at fishingprostore and my hand's down choice for the ultimate in performance and price.  These units like the LX-5 offer the same zoom package 5'/10' in 40' or less. I can tell you that once you fish in zoom it will open your eyes up to the detail that icefisherman demand.  I and others will tell you that MarCum gives you much more for less and it's zoom package is easy to use, gives you the nitty gritty within the target area crisply and cleanly.  Zoom is an incredible tool and it has been perfected by MarCum.  Well there you have it in a nutshell, the ultimate choice is yours. Good luck with whatever flasher you purchase...
Ooops the dual beam question - Yes the dual beam is a plus for me I use the 20 deg. when fishing flats and searching for fish but I will tell you if you fish weeds that NBT setting on the MarCum LX-5 that with one touch allows you to go from 20 deg. to 8 deg. helps eliminate the clutter, eliminates interference deep by going to the narrower 8 deg. cone and gives the ultimate in detail on panfish in heavy weed cover. Also in 40' fishing deep bottom hugging perch and walleyes you will see instantly the benefits the narrow beam offers.

Tim Rogers

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2007, 09:21 AM »
I fish for walleye most of the time and the zoom feature is probably the most important feature on my unit IMO. The following is a pic of regular display on the right side with the same info in the bottom left in zoom mode. The zoom on the VX-1 is not adjustable, but for walleye fishing I have not found this to be an issue.
The lure (green line) is about 6" off the bottom, as you can see their is no comparison in the detail, zoom vs non-zoom.
I gotta chubby

Crappiekeith

« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2007, 09:21 AM »
That was a very good reponse Icetechy.

CSP88

« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2007, 09:39 AM »

Chiller, I could type out a long commercial resembling post about all the great things about the Vexilar but it's much easier to take a look at this instructional video of Jason Durham using the Vexilar FL-12 for catching Bluegill and Crappies.  Jason does a great job of explaining the features and benefits of the FL-12.  You will see in the video that the zoom option is not "needed" to catch fish whether they are on the bottom or suspended.  If you have any other questions regarding the Vexilar units give me a shout.   ;)

http://vexilar.com/pages/support/support_videos.html

Chad

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2007, 09:47 AM »
I got a fl-12 last year and love it.  My buddy has the FL-20.  I guess if price is not a huge issue..sure...why not.  I found both to be outstanding.  And I hear good things about the Marcum label.  Can't really go wrong on these things...zoom is cool for walleyes in deeper water and I'm not really sure about what .5" target separation will get you...other than ".5.  I would be hard pressed to believe that someone is going to outfish me based on that ".5.  Maybe I'm wrong.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2007, 12:12 PM »
Yes the "Zoom" feature is worth considering.  One reason is you might fish in water deeper than say 40'.  The other benefit with the adjustable zoom is you can focus on any part of the water column.  Some say BS but I can tell you from personal experience it is a nice feature to have.  Is zoom a requirement to catching more fish??  NO!  Heck is having a Vex or Marcum a requirement to catch fish?? NO!  Jeez you could hand line blind and still manage to catch fish.  It's all about what you want and where in your budget you want to stay.  Personally for $20.00 more I would get the LX-5 from the above mentioned place or at least the LX-3.  Why, because it is one of those things (zoom) you have to see and experience to appreciate.

I own both the LX-5 and FL-18 ultra pack and both are great units!  Which one do I fish with?  The LX-5, only because it is a better unit and the features out weigh the Vex.  Just my personal opinion. 

The dual beam transducer is also a "Must" have feature IMHO.  Having one again is not a requirement, but a very nice option to utilize when needed.  Flashers are only a tool designed to help you become a better fisher and help you enjoy the sport more.  Make a informed opinion and follow that.  You have to be comfortable with your decision.

Good luck, think ICE, and Tight Lines,

Steve
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/icefishpics/albums/userpics/2-18-08_001c.jpg

Sure the Marines are a Department of the Navy, We're the MENS DEPERTMENT!!!!

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2007, 03:49 PM »
Thanks for the responses everybody! Im from Alberta Canada and from my experiences there are not alot of suspended fish, mostly bottom swimmers.  I saw the video on the FL 12 of that guy catching crappies and thats what really drew me towards that specific flasher. For the most part I am an excellent ice angler with about 12 years of solid ice fishing and I think i know a thing or too about it. Ive got a aqua vu and have been using really sensitive stuff for the past 5 years (I bought a aqua vu when i was 12!). Ive noticed that when the fish come in they arent truly sifting through the bottom when they come, they are ususally about 6 inches to a foot off the bottom cruising. the zoom feature would be good but i dont think it would be necessary for fish that just cruise around slightly off the bottom.  the camera has taught me alot and im thinking that i dont need .5 inch target seperation because if I see the fish come in on the flasher and theres a big red blob close to my hook I should be getting ready for a fight. the vexilar video has shown me that even in 30 FOW which is the deep range of my perch fishing expeditions it still showed everything i would need to see pretty well. So this brings up another question for you guys, since my fishing situations usually are shallow water over relatively debris free water(no weeds etc) how would marcum units perform with their extreme power in shallow water (like 8 feet). The vex has a low power option but what would the marcum do? thanks again guys.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2007, 03:59 PM »
Not really anything I can add here...I dont think I have ever hit the ice and not used the zoom on my camera..it is the most important feature I would look for when buying a flasher

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2007, 06:53 PM »
Ive got it narrowed down now. Im either goin with the FL 20 dual beam one or the marcum LX 3. Suggestions?

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2007, 07:38 PM »
LX-3tc from fishingprostore.  Just IMHO!

CSP88

« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2007, 10:59 PM »
Ive got it narrowed down now. Im either goin with the FL 20 dual beam one or the marcum LX 3. Suggestions?

Vexilar FL-20....easy choice.   ;) 

Chad

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2007, 11:12 PM »
Thats what im thinking to chad. Thanks for all the help you have been. Now I just need to sneak out and buy one so my mom doesnt know. "you have to much fishing stuff" sure mom, sure. FL20 Ultra pack, dual ducer, HERE I COME!

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2007, 01:46 AM »
Thats what I'm thinking to chad. Thanks for all the help you have been. Now I just need to sneak out and buy one so my mom doesn't know. "you have to much fishing stuff" sure mom, sure. FL20 Ultra pack, dual ducer, HERE I COME!
As the knight that guarded the "Cup of Christ" said in the 3rd Indiana Jones movie.....YOU HAVE CHOSEN WISELY!....WK ;D
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2007, 02:17 AM »
Why not buy the Lx-3 for less money but more options? I use mine in 8 ft. of water quite a bit and it performs great even with slight vegitation covering the bottom.

CSP88

« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2007, 08:09 AM »
Thats what im thinking to chad. Thanks for all the help you have been. Now I just need to sneak out and buy one so my mom doesnt know. "you have to much fishing stuff" sure mom, sure. FL20 Ultra pack, dual ducer, HERE I COME!

Sweet set up  ;D......have fun with your new Vex.  ;)

Chad

Offline icechip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2007, 08:43 AM »
Kind of funny how vex guys who are firm in their commitment to Vexilars in general have not tried Marcums. But Marcum guys seem to be full of guys who have tried vexilars but they wouldn't go back to Vexilars as they have moved up.
I use my Vex FL18 and I like the bottom zoom but I have tried a buddies LX-5 on ice and I'm very impressed with the colors and adjustable zoom. Even fishing in 20 ft of water alot of the fish were just below ice so moved the zoom up the water column and was able to see better.
Guess I will be one of the Marcum guys one day but for now my Vex is OK but I feel the Marcum is the cadillac. Wish I would have done more research prior to getting my FL18.
Zoom is the one feature that is most important on a flasher in my opinion.

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2007, 10:53 AM »
Guess I will be one of the Marcum guys one day but for now my Vex is OK but I feel the Marcum is the cadillac. Wish I would have done more research prior to getting my FL18.

I know what you mean!  Only thing is I switched and will not go back!

Check here:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=313800&kwtid=230285

or
http://www.fishingprostore.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=3

Here's one that is impossible to beat!!  http://www.fishingprostore.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=40

Reconditioned is just like new and has a 1 year warranty and all items have free shipping.

Again I'll say that both are great units but one shines brighter than the other.

Make a informed decision and enjoy the fishing!

Tight Lines to all,
Steve

Offline munchy71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #23 on: Nov 29, 2007, 10:58 AM »
Kind of funny how vex guys who are firm in their commitment to Vexilars in general have not tried Marcums. But Marcum guys seem to be full of guys who have tried vexilars but they wouldn't go back to Vexilars as they have moved up.
I use my Vex FL18 and I like the bottom zoom but I have tried a buddies LX-5 on ice and I'm very impressed with the colors and adjustable zoom. Even fishing in 20 ft of water alot of the fish were just below ice so moved the zoom up the water column and was able to see better.

Im exactly the opposite.  I tried my buddy's Marcum for a day and the colors drove me NUTS!  I was thankful to get back home and start using my FL18 again!!!!  Love the zoom too, but for fish suspended I have no need for it.  The non-zoom setting on my Vex show those fish crystal clear....

-Munchy
Rod Woten

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #24 on: Nov 29, 2007, 11:02 AM »
The Marcum shows it crystal clear too, but it's fun to move the zoom window up, because where I fish, the suspended fish are very picky and I like the pinpoint accuracy that it provides. But as I said earlier, you have your vex ugys, you have your marcum guys, you have guys who sold their vex's for marcums, or have both and use the vex as backup, but I haven't heard of anyone selling a marcum for a vex preference.

CSP88

« Reply #25 on: Nov 29, 2007, 11:22 AM »
but I haven't heard of anyone selling a marcum for a vex preference.

They are out there.....but the realization is that for every one Marcum user there is 30 Vexilar users.  There were no Marcums in existance several years ago so most guys that have fished for a number of years already own a Vexilar.....hard to switch from a Marcum to Vexilar when Marcum has only been around for a few years.   What about the number of people that decided NOT to make the switch from Vexilar to Marcum?  That's something you don't usually read in the forums but I'm willing to bet that number would far outweigh the other.   It appears Chiller has done his homework on which flasher will fit his needs yet people continue to try and discount his decision by posting links pushing the unit they use ??? 

I'm anxious to hear Chiller's reviews when he gets a chance to use his new FL-20  ;)

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #26 on: Nov 29, 2007, 11:41 AM »
the zoom really helps out.

MArcum/Vex/Lowrance  Who cares as long as you can read em and they help ya.

I just have used a vex for several years and like thier colors, the marcum gets a little goofy for me.
I could use a marcum to catch many fish.

Its like drinking bud, yep I could do it BUT Labatt blue is my choice. They both work and well.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #27 on: Nov 29, 2007, 12:20 PM »
  The non-zoom setting on my Vex show those fish crystal clear....

-Munchy

Please Rod... Don't even go there but since your here maybe you got a little pull at Vex and can help them reason why Vex engineers have not disputed Dwayne's EDI tests?  These evauations have been out for a year and no response from there engineers to refute these tests.  Please enlighten us if you can. 

MarCum Technologies LX5 VS: Vexilar FL20

Receiver sensitivity :

Receiver sensitivity is the measurement of a sonar receiver’s ability to detect an input signal. This measurement tells just how small of a return signal the unit is able to pick up and display. The LX5’s receiver is more sensitive.

Measurement:

LX5- 24uV
FL20- 40uV

Receiver Gain:

Receiver gain is a measurement of the total system gain or amplification. Typically the more gain a receiver has the smaller signal it will be able to detect.
The LX5 receiver has more gain.

Measurement:

LX5- 89.77db
FL20- 70.89db

Receiver distortion:

Receiver distortion is a measurement of the sonar receiver to filter, amplify, detect, and display a return signal. A receiver with less distortion will give a more accurate display. The LX5 has less distortion.

Measurement:
LX5- less than 1%
FL20- more than 40%

Transmitter power:

Transmit power is a measurement of the output power into the transducer. This is usually defined in Watts peak to peak or Watts RMS. In the sonar world more power means a better return signal with less noise and less filtering. The LX5 has more power.

Measurement:

LX5- more than 2000 Wp-p or 300 Wrms
FL20- more than 400 Wp-p or 50Wrms

Conclusions: The LX5 surpasses the FL20 in every sonar measurement that was made. With these measurements it becomes clear that the LX5 is a superior product in respect to its receiver/transmitter design. These measurements were made on off the shelf units using an industry standard tester.
What this means to the ice fisherman is that with the LX5 you will get a clearer, less distorted picture of what’s below the transducer. We at MarCum believe that these measurements reflect what LX5 users have been seeing on the ice. The MarCum Technologies LX5 is truly the best and this can be backed up and verified by scientific measurements.

Duane Cummings
Chief Sonar Engineer
MarCum Technologies Inc.

Note: measurements were made on an EDI sonar tester.

Tim Rogers

CSP88

« Reply #28 on: Nov 29, 2007, 12:29 PM »
Please Rod... Don't even go there but since your here maybe you got a little pull at Vex and can help them reason why Vex engineers have not disputed Dwayne's EDI tests?  These evauations have been out for a year and no response from there engineers to refute these tests.  Please enlighten us if you can. 

MarCum Technologies LX5 VS: Vexilar FL20

Receiver sensitivity :

Receiver sensitivity is the measurement of a sonar receiver’s ability to detect an input signal. This measurement tells just how small of a return signal the unit is able to pick up and display. The LX5’s receiver is more sensitive.

Measurement:

LX5- 24uV
FL20- 40uV

Receiver Gain:

Receiver gain is a measurement of the total system gain or amplification. Typically the more gain a receiver has the smaller signal it will be able to detect.
The LX5 receiver has more gain.

Measurement:

LX5- 89.77db
FL20- 70.89db

Receiver distortion:

Receiver distortion is a measurement of the sonar receiver to filter, amplify, detect, and display a return signal. A receiver with less distortion will give a more accurate display. The LX5 has less distortion.

Measurement:
LX5- less than 1%
FL20- more than 40%

Transmitter power:

Transmit power is a measurement of the output power into the transducer. This is usually defined in Watts peak to peak or Watts RMS. In the sonar world more power means a better return signal with less noise and less filtering. The LX5 has more power.

Measurement:

LX5- more than 2000 Wp-p or 300 Wrms
FL20- more than 400 Wp-p or 50Wrms

Conclusions: The LX5 surpasses the FL20 in every sonar measurement that was made. With these measurements it becomes clear that the LX5 is a superior product in respect to its receiver/transmitter design. These measurements were made on off the shelf units using an industry standard tester.
What this means to the ice fisherman is that with the LX5 you will get a clearer, less distorted picture of what’s below the transducer. We at MarCum believe that these measurements reflect what LX5 users have been seeing on the ice. The MarCum Technologies LX5 is truly the best and this can be backed up and verified by scientific measurements.

Duane Cummings
Chief Sonar Engineer
MarCum Technologies Inc.

Note: measurements were made on an EDI sonar tester.

Tim....who performed this test.....that's right it was Marcum.   Just like the Chevy truck comercial claiming they have the largest hauling capacity.......yet a Ford or Dodge comercial will claim the same thing.  If one's conducting their own test its hard to beleive they would find anything but results that favor their product they are trying to sell.   Simple marketing 101.  ::)

Chiller, have fun with your new FL-20....please post your reviews when you have time. ;)

Chad

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 29, 2007, 03:08 PM »
Alright guys. ENOUGH!!!    
Ken                                          

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.