The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Fishing Saginaw Bay, MI  (Read 1430 times)

Offline khaaxma

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fishing Saginaw Bay, MI
« on: Nov 23, 2007, 08:33 PM »
I hope to spend some quality fishing time once there is safe ice on Saginaw Bay and I wonder whether the Black Hole or Callahan Reef is better for walleyes thru the ice?
I am blessed to live in an area where the fishing is great and the people are nice!

Offline southend517

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saginaw Bay MI
Re: Fishing Saginaw Bay, MI
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2007, 09:55 PM »
black hole was super hot last year, the reef ice borke up alot on that side of the bay it was not fished as much.

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2007, 08:02 PM »
the black hole is where i caught my 8 pound walleye!  it's a great spot.  i was sitting in 24 feet of water when i caught em!
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2007, 10:57 PM »
Been drivin up to the bay for a few years now from indy.Gotta say nothing like takin the quad out and skimmin a stress crack.First walleye hooked estimated by a local to be 10 or more lbs,d**n shame i went up blind and used a hand auger,(against the locals better judgement,) shou8lda used his power auger cause it wouldnt fit threw my 6 inch hole so he cut my line and laughed at me,,was the best and worse all in one.Hooked me on the bay forever love it more than the "ex",caused the 3 to 4 days a week i was spending up there caused my divorce LMAO. had many days of watchin the "black clloud" head into the tribtaries.LOVE IT and cant wait to do it again this year. Linwood ramp if anyone wants to hook up.The locals up there are great people and are willing to hlp any chance they get. and the black hole is a great place to start and finish..lol.Happen by Linwood and see a guy sleepin in his Ford 4 door 1ton,,,Thats me,,say Hey,,lol

Offline khaaxma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2007, 11:05 AM »
Let me know when you find safe ice for the Black Hole and you will most likely see me there. I also plan to head over to Traverse City to fish Long Lake and Lake Leelanau this year. I'm just waiting for some safe ice.
I am blessed to live in an area where the fishing is great and the people are nice!

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2007, 11:54 AM »
last time i checked water temps on Saginaw bay they were still in the low forties! :o  that was last week, though.  that's o.k, cause this time last year we were still having days in the mid to upper 40's everyday.  i think we are ahead of last year by a month.  it didn't get cold until January last year, i was fishing by mid January last year, will be out by Xmas this year!
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline gmalicoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2007, 12:00 PM »
Black Hole was hot last year, but so was everywhere. Some places like Cally Reef had funny ice. If you could get on safe ice in over 20 ft of water it was a good bet youd catch fish.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

"In wildness is the preservation of the world." Thoreau

Wall: 1
Earnhardt: 0

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.