Author Topic: HELP!!! MY BAIT IS DYING  (Read 7544 times)

Offline Pittsfield Pike Preditor

• IceShanty Rookie
  • drill em and fill em
HELP!!! MY BAIT IS DYING
« on: Nov 07, 2007, 11:36 AM »
Ok, so this is my first year trying to catch my own bait and keep it through out the winter. My buddies and i have about a 250 gallon stock tank with 2 aerators and a pond filter......but now after only 3 days in the tank they are starting to die......any suggestions on how to keep them from dying off??? Any input would be helpful! Thanks. Pray for ice.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
Re: HELP!!! MY BAIT IS DYING
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2007, 11:46 AM »
What is the water like in the tank?? PH and such? Sudden change in water chemistry can cause die-offs in no time. Was the water the same water the fish came from?
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2007, 12:20 PM »
Check the nitrogen levels...temp should be kept cool...etc etc etc...

Keeping live bait  - specially chubs - is an art.  Not as easy as dumping them into a big tank and being done.  Letting the water have time to neutralize is a good thing, but dumping like 50 dozen minnows into a stock tank...not good.   The ammonia from their waste will build up very very fast.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2007, 01:32 PM »
I think you forgot the seventy year old virgin dancing...
see my post about this last year.  Will take care of everything
 ;) :o ;D ;) :o ;D

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2007, 03:12 PM »
add some of the water from where you catch the bait. has something to do with a necessary bacteria. there was a thread about this last year. i believe a guy named crayfish bob had a lot of good information.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2007, 09:16 PM »
I have had a bucket of minnows in my garage the last few days, and not a single dead one yet. I hung a thermometer in my garage and noticed its right at 40 degrees in there. I know too hot and too cold isn't good- thought I'd throw that out there

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2007, 09:24 PM »
Lol where's mainehazmat when ya need him. he's got an incredible set up.
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2007, 07:11 PM »
Lol where's mainehazmat when ya need him. he's got an incredible set up.
  gee a guy cant go on vacation!     LOL   expect the first batch to die off    start with 50 -100    ya gotta get some good bacteria going   like they said  filtration   testing ect!    get pond starter if you must    use some pond water conditioner    it helps with the slime coat   they need that     after about 2 weeks   things should smooth out  losses   much less   
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2007, 07:52 PM »
trust mainhazmat on this ones hes a pro. Once the bacteria builds up you will be fine. make sure if you change the water that you only change about 1/3rd at a time this way you arnt taking the bacteria back away from them. When and IF your going to feed them doing once a week maximum i would not feed them any more than that it will just cause your water to become dirty faster. many people dont even feed them and they live for very long periods of time. Good luck and if you have any more ?'s feel free to ask us!!

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2007, 08:01 PM »
I keep minnows year round and don't get to fancy about it.  Was the water tap water (chlorinated?)  It has to set out in the open air for at least 24hrs. to neutralize it to make it safe for them.  You mentioned two aeraters and a filter.  Are we talking aquarium bubblers  or bigger ?  I use a small 110volt I suppose its called a fountain pump $18.95 or so don't remember how many gallons per hour and have a pipe coming up and blows the water back in the tank.  New minnows kinda have to be put on a aerator of some kinda and let the water temp. get adjusted to close to what the tanks water is before you dump them in.  Don't overcrowd them but with 250 gallons thats a lot of water.  Anyway I have good luck with this system and keep them in the basement with whatever the temperature is.  Good luck its nice having bait around and kinda fun catching them.

Offline polarfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE ICE BABY
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2007, 08:37 PM »
I'm an aquarium freak so i know a lot about keeping fish :laugh:. so first of all big mistake you should have let the bacteria grow with the help of a few fish. than after a few weeks(3-4 at min.)  start to introduce a few more fish every day to build up the bacteria.all of this is to jumpstart the nitratification process which breaks the fecal mater that the fish produce. another big thing you need is a test kit to monitor all of the levels. ammonia,Ph,nitrate,nitrite,and some time phosphates all of which you want none of or none more than 20 ppm (parts per million)and a Ph of 7.0 neutral. also you need a water condition to take harmful chemicals(chlorine) out of the water if you live in the city ,to promote a slime coating, and  also take heavy metals out of the water like iron from the ground if its a well water.the problem i see your having is new tank syndrome, too many fish to soon. if you need help just ask. im the man you need to know what to do on fish keeping

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2007, 03:24 PM »
Ive got a 1000 in a 55 gal drum!and doing great

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=58630.0

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2007, 03:59 PM »
I keep my bait in a screen cage in a river till it starts to get cold enough to freeze then I keep them in my basement where it is cold but not freezing. they need to be kept at a cooler temp then it is in your house. I also freeze the bigger bait after vacuum sealing them. They don't trip the flags!!!     (((((FLAG))))) :tipup:
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2007, 06:33 PM »
I Just picked up a 275 tote    thats gonna be next years project      May start selling em   self service   honor system  just gonna have to get a bait dealers licence  I have a spring on the property  now to get gravity to work   lol

Offline Pittsfield Pike Preditor

• IceShanty Rookie
  • drill em and fill em
« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2007, 06:58 PM »
Hey guys, thanks a lot for the info.......it seems now that after a week or so the bait are starting to level out a little bit. I just need to get more time to go and catch some. Since i have some freinds in on this set up with me they also catch the bait. I cant wait until the season starts though. We have caught some awesome pike bait. Chubs about 8-10inches, suckers about the same size and also the smaller chubs for the bass and probably pike. Once again guys thanks a lot. I can always count on Ice Shanty for my needs on info! Pray for ice and stay safe this season!    :D ;D :)

Offline iceenut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Adirondacks,my home away from home.
« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2007, 07:04 PM »
Should your tank look something like this?...

Works like a charm,wake up get your coffee,step out to the garage load up some choice baits and you're on your way to your favorite spot.Gets rid of the hassle of getting up extra early or waiting for your guy to open. The only thing missing in the pic is the wire top that I use to keep the buggers from jumping out :o,icicles especially.
\\\"Thats Right...Too much\\\"-AM 1914-2005, Thanks Pon,you started it all

Offline polarfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE ICE BABY
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2007, 09:42 PM »

NICE set up ;D ;D ;D ;D looks awsome :o :o

Offline iceenut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 09, 2007, 10:41 PM »
NICE set up ;D ;D ;D ;D looks awsome :o :o
Thanks man, it is VERY convenient and the whole deal cost around $150ish and divide that between four fishing buds and a couple of garage keys=40 stubes a man... :tipup:

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 11, 2007, 08:49 PM »
iCEENUT, nice set up man. I think next year I'm going to build one just like that.
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline polarfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE ICE BABY
« Reply #19 on: Nov 11, 2007, 09:02 PM »
what kind of filter. i see that it is a canaster but what brand ehiem  ???

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Nov 11, 2007, 10:19 PM »
Very nice setup looks like you put some time into it. I use an old water troff from a friends farm, it's about 100 gallons, small river rock and a gravel filter. I had to put a cover on it because the big ones kept jumping out. Also some suckers because they keep the bottom clean.          (((((FLAG))))) :tipup:

Offline iceenut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 12, 2007, 11:06 AM »
what kind of filter. i see that it is a canaster but what brand ehiem  ???

I believe it is called a Jebo,but I think they were bought out by somebody,and now have a different name.

Offline Bassfishin1983

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin Till The Day I Die!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 12, 2007, 11:10 AM »
We here in NY used to be able to do this , but with the new laws on bait fish Due to the VHS we cant . I had 2 fifty gallon plastic  drums that i cant use any more.
Its Just A Way Of Life, Some People Just Dont Understand.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Nov 12, 2007, 11:14 AM »
bass do you wanna get rid of them? Maybe we can work something out.

Offline iceenut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 12, 2007, 11:16 AM »
We here in NY used to be able to do this , but with the new laws on bait fish Due to the VHS we cant . I had 2 fifty gallon plastic  drums that i cant use any more.

You can still use them,you just can't put your own trapped bait in them...I stock up from the local bait shop usually twice a season,saves me the multiple trips to the bait store. :tipup:

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Nov 12, 2007, 11:28 AM »
Now Im getting jelouse!    lol    My  2009 model will be bigger I got a tote to do it in!   

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #26 on: Nov 12, 2007, 12:24 PM »
Now Im getting jelouse!    lol    My  2009 model will be bigger I got a tote to do it in!   (Image removed from quote.)
i have the same set up 300 gallons  250 gph pond pump 3 bubblers `1 fountain pump gravel on bottom few crabz a couple clams no kiddin good cleanup crew cut hole in topused fill hole for access 2 long handle nets for retrival must be clean before use aged water for months before use ie with circulation  good to go  only froze up 2" of ice in the coldest part of the winter in my unheated garage  tell me if i forgot anything advice is priceless  did i mention that i stayed at an holiday inn express   lol  mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 12, 2007, 01:14 PM »
Read the VHS regs your minnows are only good for 7 days from purchase and you can't load up and you need a stamped receipt In New York. Not much fun but it is what it is.  Page 15 of NYS Rules and Regs Certified Bait fish purchased from a bait dealer can be used on any body of water where it is legal to use bait fish and can be transported overland by motorized vehicle within 7 days of retail sale (including date of purchase). For bait fish to be considered certified, a dated receipt must be obtained at the time of retail sale that verifies the bait fish as certified and kept with the bait fish at all times. Bait fish without a receipt or with a receipt older than 7 days will be considered uncertified bait.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #28 on: Nov 12, 2007, 01:19 PM »
i hear ya its probally goin to affect all of use soon. need to learn how to jig  ohhhhhhh its to much like work    mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #29 on: Nov 12, 2007, 03:52 PM »
I use that same 300gl tank,Icut the top off an wraped the outside with foam
How are the edges ?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.