Author Topic: ShowDown Digital Fish Finder by Nature Vision  (Read 23366 times)

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
ShowDown Digital Fish Finder by Nature Vision
« on: Oct 19, 2007, 01:35 PM »
Anyone have any insight into this finder? Worth the money or would you stick with a Vex or Marcum?

Also, what degree transducer works best for ice fishing? I see this one is 18 degree.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ShowDown Digital Fish Finder by Nature Vision
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2007, 02:32 PM »
That would be a good choice for someone who is colorblind since it has 4 levels of grey scale. Since I'm not colorblind, I'll stick with my Marcum flasher.  The transducer that works best depends on what depth of lake you fish and how much bottom variation(dropoffs) there are.  For those that fish shallower lakes predominately(less than 40-50 feet), choose the wider cone angle like the 18, 19, or 20 degree transducers.  If you fish deeper lakes for lakers or fish lakes that have a lot of steep dropoffs, choose a shallower angle transducer like the 8, 9, and 12 degree ones.  The shallower angle transducers work better in lakes with a lot of structure also.  Hope this helps.
Ken                                          

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2007, 04:16 PM »
...If you fish deeper lakes for lakers or fish lakes that have a lot of steep dropoffs, choose a shallower angle transducer like the 8, 9, and 12 degree ones...

this is because you don't need the cone to be really wide under the ice, and so it is more concentrated thus more powerful at deeper levels of water?   do you select a cone angle when you buy a marcum or vex?  i think my eagle lcd-screen is something like 20 degrees...  so that is horrible for deep-water fishing, right?

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2007, 04:26 PM »
I depends on the model. The Marcum LX5, Vexilar FL18, and the Vexilar FL20 have dual cone angles built in.
Just choose the cone angle you want with the touch of a button.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2007, 04:31 PM »
you can choose from more than two angles?  16, 17, 18, 19 and 20, or what?

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2007, 04:37 PM »
you can choose from more than two angles?  16, 17, 18, 19 and 20, or what?

Some flashers have dual beam transducers. Marcum's LX-5 has the dual 8/20 degree transducer. Vexilar has the dual 9/19 degree transducer. You press or flip a switch to change which one you want on those units. Read this article on choosing a transducer beam angle. It might help clear up some of what I said.
Ken                                          

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2007, 06:43 AM »
Bean, thanks for the great info. I've never used a flasher and need to buy one. Haven't seen a Marcum in stores out here but understand they're a good choice. It'll either be it or a Vex I carry on the ice this year.

Offline ickirby

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Pirate!!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2007, 08:19 AM »
Anyone have any insight into this finder? Worth the money or would you stick with a Vex or Marcum?

I think that if you are used to a vex or marcum you are probably going to choose to stay with them, but...  The Vertical Pixel Graph (VPG) now known as the Showdown is a fine unit, I have had mine for about a year now and have used it all last ice season and played around with it this summer a bit and have had no problems with it what so ever. 

I wrote a complete review of it at in this section late last winter.  I'm very happy with my purchase and since I bought it the unit has gotten better and has come down in price.  I think it is one hell of a deal.  When you compare features to the Vex's or Marcums the Showdown has everything except dual beam transducers and a split screen zoom (I'm sure there must be something else, but that is all I'm aware of).  The only thing I have limited time testing is the interference rejection (having lakes almost to your self on a regular basis is a blessing I would not ruin to test a simple feature), the one time I had to use it it worked flawlessly though.

Another thing worth noting is that if you were to have any problems the customer service from nature vision was excellent.  I purchased the VPG and it had to go back in for a software upgrade to update it to what they now call the Showdown.  I have full confidence in this unit and  Nature Vision's backing of their products.
Ian Kirby

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2007, 11:36 AM »
this is because you don't need the cone to be really wide under the ice, and so it is more concentrated thus more powerful at deeper levels of water?   do you select a cone angle when you buy a marcum or vex?  i think my eagle lcd-screen is something like 20 degrees...  so that is horrible for deep-water fishing, right?

If you're fishing over deep water the wider angle cone shows too much information.  You have no way of knowing if the fish being marked are right underneath you or way off to the side, because the coverage is so wide.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2007, 12:13 AM »
 I have the VPG/Showdown......used it all last year and just sent it in for the software-upgrade (showdown) blah blah

This unit is so superior  to any flasher ever made, that it will take years to see good press about it on here!

No more packing a calculator and an algebra chart, just to figure your depth................. .no more annoying whirring sound
 Battery life is unreal.....3-4 days of fishing

This unit has worked AWESOME for me and 4 of my friends! And now it's upgraded so that we don't have to see...."flash-tard" interference!

Best machine on the market!!
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
Blue-toppin.........and lip-rippin
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline baldy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2007, 09:25 PM »
I'm also in the market for some kind of fish finder.  I've use my "Fishin Buddy" in the past and other than the depth, it hasn't given me much more.
I was looking into the Marcum LX2 because it's in  my price range but I saw the free DVD from Nature Vision last night(Underwater Discoveries).  It spent quite a bit of time showing the Show Down Fish Finder and how it works.  These 2 are my top choices, mainly because of price.  I couldn't find the infromation online for the SD like the Marcum. 
Does Nature Vision stand by their stuff? 
Thanks,
Nick

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #11 on: Nov 03, 2007, 09:48 PM »
Baldy since your in the market and MarCum is one of your choices there is a $30 manufaturer's mail in rebate on the VX-1 offered by MarCum mid novemeber thru mid January 2008 which is a sweet deal when you factor in retail at $249 minus $30 = $219 that's a can't missl on that baby. The only thing the LX-2 has over the VX-1 is 400 watts of power other that the transducer and zoom features are the same.  I have fished with both and can tell you that either one will help you have more fun on the ice.  Good luck with your purchase..
Tim Rogers

Offline baldy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2007, 10:15 PM »
Thanks icetechy.  The LX2 zoom features and the carrying case that it comes with vs the VX1 without is why I was looking at it.  $279 from Cabelas is a pretty good deal.
My experience with Flashers is fairly limited.  My uncle bought the FL18 with all the bells and wistles last year.  I seems to take him a while to figure out the depth and I'm not sure if he knows how to use it to catch fish.  I know a couple guys that fish in a tournament with us every year and they out fish everyone with their old Marcums.
The reasons I was looking into the Show Down is becuase it looks easier to use and its about the same price.
Nick

Offline baldy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 03, 2007, 10:18 PM »
OK.  I've read some of the reviews now on the older VPG.  It seems like they had some problems with it in the first year of production and they started to fix some things earlier this year. 
With the Show Down, do you think that all of the issues have been addressed or is it still too early to get into this unit?
Thanks,
Nick

Offline walleyes4*u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Home of the Free !!!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 03, 2007, 10:55 PM »
OK.  I've read some of the reviews now on the older VPG.  It seems like they had some problems with it in the first year of production and they started to fix some things earlier this year. 
With the Show Down, do you think that all of the issues have been addressed or is it still too early to get into this unit?
Thanks,
Nick

From what I have read in other forums is that what was wrong with the VPG is what is new in the Showdown. You can send in you VPG and they will upgrade it to like the Showdown. I believe the cost is $10.00

Offline baldy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2007, 08:51 AM »
Has anybody with the Show Down or the VPG with the software upgrades used this unit near a Vex or Marcum?  Has the interference issue been worked out and solved with the "noise" feature? 
Also, how close is close when fishing near other units?
Thanks,
Nick

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2007, 11:15 AM »
Not that it is alot of money but, $10 for a software upgrade to fix known bugs is not very good customer service to me. I work alot with software in our products and if there is a known problem or issue that the customer is complaining about, we usually do the upgardes for free. Even Microsoft gives out Service Packs for free lol Not sure if this is the same as it is with the VPG. Coming out with a new product that has the problems/issues from a previous product resolved and then charging customers who have the old product for software updates just doesn't seem right. Then again I may be off base with this and it may involve hardware changes/modifications too.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 07, 2007, 12:08 PM »
NatureVision says the $10 is for shipping costs to return the item.
Ken                                          

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 07, 2007, 12:11 PM »
Sry :embarassed: Thought I might have been off base. Guess that isn't too bad then. Be nice if you could just do the update via the net.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline baldy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 10, 2007, 12:15 PM »
I wrote Nature Vision about my concerns listing the issues with interference, Ice Mode, and the quality issues with (wooden block, transducer arm, power conections). 
They replied quick and said that the Software upgrade fixes all of the main issues with the system.  They didn't reply about the quality issues though.  I wrote them again and still haven't heard.
nick

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 11, 2007, 09:49 PM »
What is the retail on the Showdown?

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 12, 2007, 06:49 AM »
$229.99 - Joe's Sporting Goods
$229.99-Bass Pro Shops................. .......Googled this up

Offline baldy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 12, 2007, 08:48 AM »
Reeds has them for $229 and free shipping.
Nature Vision direct has them for $249 + shipping.  If you get it direct, you can get the extra 2yr warranty for free with the add that is on the free DVD (Discoveries in Ice).  That's a 3yr warranty that is normally an additional $69.

Offline coloradokid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 15, 2007, 10:04 AM »
Has anybody with the Show Down or the VPG with the software upgrades used this unit near a Vex or Marcum?  Has the interference issue been worked out and solved with the "noise" feature? 
Also, how close is close when fishing near other units?
Thanks,
Nick

I fished St. Marys last weekend with my showdown.  I ran into a guy from this site out there, I think Fishnbeer, he was using a vex about 10 yards away from me and I had no problem with interference.  I never had to mess with the noise feature.  The real time display is sweet, could watch the brookies shoot off bottom toward my jig and then 'fish-on'!  I use a hand auger so the water depth through the ice feature is nice too.  I could see my trout magnet 1" off bottom in 12' of water, was impressive... I'm happy with it. 

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #24 on: Nov 15, 2007, 10:54 AM »
welcome to the site, colorado kid    8)

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 16, 2007, 12:49 AM »
Man- ppl are ice fishing already- Zamboni sad  :'(

Offline Stevie B

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 16, 2007, 01:22 PM »
I myself am not sold on the VPG/Showdown...yet.  But I am a bit skeptical.  I have heard of the interferance, but I haven't seen it with my own eyes.  I'm not convinced they have it fixed 100%.  Heck even Vex's and Marcum's have a tough time "playing" together at times.

The grayscale to me is the biggest drawback to this unit.  I have been running an older Zercom RTS for the last couple seasons (that will change in a week or two).  The grayscale I find is WAY harder to read then a 3 color flasher.  I mean what could be more simple...if the line turns from green, to orange, to red...its a fish!  It will take a few years before I would seriously consider a VPG/Showdown over even the cheapest Vex or Marcum.

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #27 on: Nov 17, 2007, 12:57 AM »
 We had 5 VPG'S in my ice circle last year 8)

No one had any problems, I fished 15ft from flashers and only had to adjust a little on sensetivity. Now all but 1 of our crew has the shodown-upgrade.
  Who needs color? When you can see EVERYTHING instantly with the vpg\shodown

I caught over 600 perch on that screen last year! I see it all when that duece touches water!
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
Blue-toppin.........and lip-rippin
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #28 on: Nov 18, 2007, 07:55 AM »
Every year they come out with something that leads the list in ice fishing returns.  Everybody says they have a great customer service well when you have to put them on your speed dial that's a problem.  Pak shacks, Scout camera's, buzz sticks ::) and VPG's  someone should sue them for engineering ineptitude.
Tim Rogers

PWR BAIT

« Reply #29 on: Nov 18, 2007, 01:54 PM »
Every year they come out with something that leads the list in ice fishing returns.  Everybody says they have a great customer service well when you have to put them on your speed dial that's a problem.  Pak shacks, Scout camera's, buzz sticks ::) and VPG's  someone should sue them for engineering ineptitude.
I was told the cases to these units leaked and not to buy one and alot of them were sent back because of it ???.It doesn't seem to me like that is very profitable :wacko:.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.