Author Topic: St. Paul Ice Fishing Show  (Read 2131 times)

Offline HUNTER16

• IceShanty Rookie
St. Paul Ice Fishing Show
« on: Oct 11, 2007, 09:53 AM »
Looking for input from anyone who has attended the show in the recent past.  I live in Oh, but have family in Wis and could stop their on the way.  Is it interesting enough to get a kitchen pass for the weekend?
Happiest when on a frozen lake!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: St. Paul Ice Fishing Show
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2007, 10:10 AM »
any excuse is good  just to get the kitchen pass!!!! >:D :clap:
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2007, 11:28 AM »
I go every year. It is a great show. Not a lot of garbage like at other shows. Pretty much strictly ice fishing related stuff. Most of the major manufacturers of ice angling gear are there.

As you can imagine ice angling is pretty specialized. Think about the number of ice angling equipment manufacturers. The show is not real big as far as shows go. It is still the best ice angling specific show around.

Based on google it looks like a 12 hour drive for you. I am not sure if I would drive that far just for this show.

If you are just looking for a fun preseason road trip then it is probably worth it.

Here is a link to the show's site:
http://www.agievents.com/shows/display.cfm?showID=56&showtypeid=3&src=80&sfid=73

They have a discount coupon on their site.

I already got rid of my tickets for the Wild for November 30th otherwise I would offer them up for sale. If you like hockey you could look for tickets. They are playing St. Louis at the Excel Energy Center which is adjacent to the RiverCentre.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2007, 11:29 AM »
Where is your family in Wisconsin?

Offline HUNTER16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2007, 11:50 AM »
Dad lives in Saulville (next to Port Washington) where I lived when I was younger.  Brother lives in Fredonia.  It would be around a 5 1/2 hr or less drive from there. 

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2007, 12:42 PM »
If you are a fanatic I would recommend it. If you are casual it would be cool if you found something else to do that weekend. If you ice fish once a year or are just in it for the beer drinking it might not be for you.

If you are in the market for some new gear and want to talk to the manufacturers then this is the place to have a bunch of them in one place.

I used to be more of a fanatic but with two young kids I do not get out as much. I go every year but I wouldn't drive 5 hours to go. I would consider driving 5 hours, staying in a hotel and then going the next day.

Offline bobrdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2007, 07:08 AM »
I can never remember when the show is?? what weekend is it?

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2007, 08:08 AM »
I can never remember when the show is?? what weekend is it?

Check out the link I posted.

It is usually the first weekend in December. This year it is Nov. 30 to Dec 2.

Offline munchy71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2007, 08:21 AM »
It's also a good opportunity to learn with several good seminars throughout all 3 days, from many well respected names in the icefishing industry....

Rod Woten

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2007, 08:27 AM »
It's also a good opportunity to learn with several good seminars throughout all 3 days, from many well respected names in the icefishing industry....

They do not have a seminar schedule or an exhibitor list posted yet. "Tackle" Terry Tuma usually has one, Dave Genz is usually there, the Ice Team is always well represented.

This is from last years show:
Free seminars throughout the Ice Fishing Show will include topics such as “Sunfish and Crappies” and “Walleyes” by “Tackle Terry” Tuma; “Newest Ice Fishing Techniques”, “Proper Use of the Newest Equipment to Achieve the Best Results”, “How to be the Most Successful in Ice Fishing Tournaments” and “USA Ice Team Versus Europe” by Greg “The Striker” Wilczynski of the USA National Ice Fishing Team.  Other topics include “Dark House Spearing” by Duey Johnston; “Fishing Tactics That Work on Big Lakes” by “Woody” of Woody’s Rainy Lake Resort; and “Fishing the WildSides” by Chip Leer, founder of Fishing the WildSide which has become one of the most popular multi-media fishing companies in the country.

Offline HUNTER16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2007, 09:27 AM »
As for being a fanatic, I am.  Last year, I saved my vacation, comp and holiday time and took off all of Jan and most of Feb (only worked the last 4 days).  The show sounds like fun and I thought about driving thru Wabasha where "Grumpy old Men" was partially filmed.  It's one of my favorite movies.  Has anyone been there?

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2007, 09:35 AM »
As for being a fanatic, I am. 

Then you will probably enjoy it. No other show like it.

Check out this link. I am not sure how much of that movie was filmed in Wabasha.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0107050/locations

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2007, 06:12 PM »
I'll be there for sure ;D (comming from Eau Claire WI area) I'll be taking my 3yr old boy, and I'll the guy wearing the IS hoodie.  8)

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2007, 11:43 PM »
I'll be going up there for the 1st time this year. I'm looking forward to it :)

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2007, 03:38 PM »
I wanted to go last year.........If theres no ice to fish ill be there 8)

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #15 on: Oct 14, 2007, 05:04 PM »
I went on friday last year and was pressed for time to be back. Would like to go on Saturday this year and make a day out of it and go to some of the seminars.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.