Author Topic: LETS HOPE THIS GUY IS WRONG WITH HIS WINTER PREDICTION  (Read 9674 times)

Offline HaveAuger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Madness Winter Outlook
Monday, October 01, 2007
WINTER 2007-2008 OUTLOOK FOR THE PERIOD NOVEMBER 15 TO MARCH 15... SOUTHEAST REMAINS DRY AND WARM... STORM TRACK IS THROUGH THE PLAINS INTO THE GREAT LAKES... COLD HIGH COMES DOWN AND COULD LEAD TO ICE STORMS FROM THE OHIO VALLEY TO THE MID-ATLANTIC. VERY COLD WEATHER IN THE NORTHERN ROCKIES AND HEAVY SNOWS IN THE WESTERN MOUNTAINS...

Well, here it is, my best guess for the winter season. I define the winter season as the period from November 15 to March 15th, so what you see on the maps are the departures from normals for that time period. Now, please don't ask me how much snow will fall in your backyard because I just don't know the answer to every spot location.

I justified my forecast based on the strong Southeast ridge, the development of the La Nina and years where the SOI values have followed the same trends. I think overall, we will see the trough axis over the High Plains and a ridge over the eastern part of the country. That will lead to a storm track that goes from the High Plains to the Great Lakes and perhaps even cutting across the Northeast. While we will get spells of very cold weather across the eastern part of the country, overall, it will be known as a mild winter. With the trough position over the High Plains, this will lead to arctic air spilling into the northern Rockies and spreading down the High Plains and into the Western states. I do think that cold highs will move across the Great Lakes and setting up a cold dome of air that will be overrun by warm air ahead of storms coming out of the southern Plains. That's why I places an area of ice across the Ohio Valley into the mid-Atlantic. I am also concerned for snow and ice across New York into parts of New England where the zone between the cold air across eastern Canada clashes with the Southeast warm weather that tries to flex its muscles north every once in a while. The western mountains will get plenty of snow; however, the California Sierra may struggle at times to get heavy snows as the storm track stays across Oregon and Washington.

http://www.accuweather.com/news-blogs.asp?partner=accuweather&blog=meteomadness

Updated: 10/1/2007 11:27 AM

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LETS HOPE THIS GUY IS WRONG WITH HIS WINTER PREDICTION
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2007, 05:13 PM »
  :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!::nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: think...:cold..snow...ice... :bow: :bow: :bow: :clap: :clap: :tipup: :unsure: :tipup:

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2007, 06:33 AM »
where I usually wait for at least a foot of ice I'm pretty sure by the end of January Ill be out on it guaranteed (but after the 15th  of Jan I'm chomping on the bit!)
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2007, 12:42 PM »
If you look at his temp. chart it has us under a "NORMAL" temperature for the winter.  After the last few years I will take normal temperatures.   ;D
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2007, 03:08 PM »
I kinda like this guys ideas! 
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline projoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2007, 05:32 PM »
some say tht but like the farmers almanac says that the north east is going to be very cold and the first article in the form says that its going to be mild its hard to predict from this far away. just hope that it will be cold and make ice upon our lakes as quick as possible.

Offline bayonne

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2007, 06:36 PM »
it will probaly be just like last year no ice then wham its all locked up i know hopatcong got up to two feet last season

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2007, 08:04 PM »
Although it seemed like forever but i would take a repeat of last year. I remember about mid way through January we got that bitter cold snap that even froze the Muscetnetcong river by my house. It was followed by basically below freezing temps for almost a month..it was great!

Offline projoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2007, 02:17 PM »
i wish it would start earlier becasue i only get a few trips in. resonin being is high school baseball for me starts the 1st of march

Offline iceman_4432

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2007, 03:42 PM »
Although it seemed like forever but i would take a repeat of last year. I remember about mid way through January we got that bitter cold snap that even froze the Muscetnetcong river by my house. It was followed by basically below freezing temps for almost a month..it was great!

I really liked all that bitter cold weather we finally got into.  Not great for the snow lovers because it dosent produce much snow .. but awesome for the hard water guys :D 

Ill take the bitter cold again this year !!!!!!  Starting now thru March  :laugh:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.