The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: perch  (Read 11040 times)

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: perch
« Reply #30 on: Sep 27, 2007, 10:04 AM »
i have a student from lituania that icefishes w/ me. i his country yellow perch and pike are delicases. i bring him to cross lake where we get huge ones under the ice fishing for sal. man does he have a blast w/ the jig pole! ive eaten them in the past and found them to be very good! a pain to fillet but definitly good table fare. im fussy on the fish i eat but i will eat perch or whitefish over brookies anyday. try muskie sometimes too! tastes just like haddock!

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Sep 27, 2007, 10:18 AM »
a pain to fillet but definitly good table fare.

On vacation this summer the wife wanted to keep every perch we brought into the boat. The problem is she wasn't the one who was cleaning the tiny ones. I took to not letting her see the marginal ones that I reeled in. I would turn, unhook and toss them back. She would ask me about the splash and I would tell her it was tiny.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Sep 27, 2007, 10:24 AM »
i have a student from lituania that icefishes w/ me. i his country yellow perch and pike are delicases. i bring him to cross lake where we get huge ones under the ice fishing for sal. man does he have a blast w/ the jig pole! ive eaten them in the past and found them to be very good! a pain to fillet but definitly good table fare. im fussy on the fish i eat but i will eat perch or whitefish over brookies anyday. try muskie sometimes too! tastes just like haddock!
Well look for me at cross lake this year!  dont be a stranger I plan on being there most weekends  and prob off and on during the weekdays   you can have your fill of all I catch
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline IceFish4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Sep 27, 2007, 11:03 AM »
What is it about trout that people dislike?  Is it that they have a stronger taste than perch?  I'll be honest, I need tartar sauce and ketchup with perch, pickerel or any while fish flesh.  But, trout... butter, and a side dish fiddleheads or beets and potatoes.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Sep 27, 2007, 11:06 AM »
must be they dont have em

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Sep 27, 2007, 11:23 AM »
I like perch because of the numbers and speed that you can catch them at if you get on a good school. But I will take a LT over any fish EVERYDAY!

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Sep 27, 2007, 12:31 PM »
What is it about trout that people dislike?  Is it that they have a stronger taste than perch?  I'll be honest, I need tartar sauce and ketchup with perch, pickerel or any while fish flesh.  But, trout... butter, and a side dish fiddleheads or beets and potatoes.

I have never heard such a dislike for trout until this thread. The flavor of fish is dependent on a number of variables. Freshness, care and handling, temperature when caught, temperature of water they were caught out of, seasoning, cooking method...

I have had trout that tasted bad and trout that were fantastic. Same for most any fish. Some will be more fishy than others.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Sep 27, 2007, 07:10 PM »
i find that trout and sal. are very fishy tasting where as perch, muskie and whitefish arent as bad. im not a real big fan of freshwater fish anyway so im real fussy w/ what kinds i eat. ive tried every way of preparing them also and still dont care much for trout. just my tastes i guess.

Offline Countyiceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Sep 27, 2007, 09:11 PM »
Hi Gang....been enjoying reading this thread.  I really enjoy eating fish...especially fried fish.  Since may I have had fried catfish in Louisiana, smelts in Maine, brook trout in Baxter park, and yesterday yellow perch in New York.  I've eaten fried pickeral caught last winter here near Millinocket, splake from Squa Pan and Togue fresh from Moosehead in Rockwood...and many meals of atlantic salmon, crab, haddock, scallops and talipia.  You know what...it all tastes very good to me!  Most memeorable to me was the fresh togue fried up with a light flour dusting and fried in butter in a cast iron pan a thte birches in Rockwood and the mess of smelts I ate 3 weeks ago given to me by a friend.  Oh my I ate all 24 of them in one sitting!  I really enjoyed the 3 meals of fried catfish in Louisiana in may too.  To each there own I guess.  That don't like to eat yellow perch or pickeral are welcome to share them with me.

I've been eating yellow perch since 1997.  Excellent eating.  I once picked up 16 pounds of yellow perch off the ice at squa Pan lake after a weekend fishing Derby.  Took them home and had 5 pounds of fillets.  Fried them up for supper several nights and my 2 girls and wife ate them up.

Funny thing....my wife enjoys eating pickeral more than eating white perch and looks forward to my fish fries in the winter. 

So keep on throwing YP on the ice if you must to feed the raptors and scavengers...but hear me now and beleive me later...you are missing out on some excellent table fare.

Great to see the activity picking up on IS.com so early...it's a long wait till ice in..thank goodness hunting season is here to distract us a bit.

Hey I rode by fish307 shop (Site sponsor) in lake George NY today...too bad I wasnt driving...next time I'll stop in.
Whenever someone caught a fish...my Uncle David always shouted..."THROW IT BACK TO IT"S MOTHER!!"  I can hear that echoing across the frozen lake now!

Offline Kindguyry

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Phish on!
« Reply #39 on: Sep 28, 2007, 01:06 PM »
Glad to see Im not the only one who Likes those Yellow perch. Now only if these guys out here in Maine had Walleye top catch and eat. It would change their lives and opinions...

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Sep 28, 2007, 07:12 PM »
 ;) ::) I'm enjoying the discussion immensely! especially the regional diversity! I do however get a little nervous about the guys who take Kindguyry's feeling too far and get species where they don't belong. :nono:
  Holding my breath for hard water with the rest of you! rh57 :whistle: :tipup:
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #41 on: Sep 28, 2007, 07:21 PM »
Glad to see Im not the only one who Likes those Yellow perch. Now only if these guys out here in Maine had Walleye top catch and eat. It would change their lives and opinions...

Don't get any ideas!!! we don't need another invasive species!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #42 on: Sep 28, 2007, 07:43 PM »
i have tried perch a few times and i dont know if i just got unlucky but one of the first times i tried it i found it to be very mushy. last wintah i went out to wisconsin and Iceshanty himself prepared a perch and bluegill dinner that was outstanding...ill be trying them again.ill still elave plenty for the eagles...they are still bait stealing bastihds

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Sep 29, 2007, 06:16 AM »
i have tried perch a few times and i dont know if i just got unlucky but one of the first times i tried it i found it to be very mushy. last wintah i went out to wisconsin and Iceshanty himself prepared a perch and bluegill dinner that was outstanding...ill be trying them again.ill still elave plenty for the eagles...they are still bait stealing bastihds
oh ohhh     you've changed on us   lol  or leaning to the DARK SIDE

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Sep 29, 2007, 06:20 AM »
or should I say YELLOW SIDE

Offline dirk327

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • !
« Reply #45 on: Sep 29, 2007, 07:36 AM »
Must we get into this so early this year??!!! lol
Perch and crappie are just about the only  fish I eat.  Small native brookies are definately good fried up but if there is a plate of trout and a plate of panfish, I am going to eat the pan fish!  Could be my midwest blood, who knows.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Sep 29, 2007, 08:38 AM »
Possibly up here in several of the lakes they are so prolific that it gets boring to yard em up and you really want to catch that laker  salmon or trout   they love smelt and minnows   so you can really loose alot of bait   the only good thing is there is no limit on them    your just limited on the amount of money on bait you want to waste on them looking for the others

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Oct 02, 2007, 10:28 AM »
I really for some strange though think this picture is hilarious  copied from another post on the board! 

LOL
:tipup:

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Oct 02, 2007, 10:39 AM »
Answer: Schuler's Restaurant in Watertown

theres a little place on rt.14 south of geneva, ny. that used to have em'.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline dirk327

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • !
« Reply #49 on: Oct 02, 2007, 12:20 PM »
Thats supper right there! ;D

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #50 on: Oct 12, 2007, 05:42 PM »
with this in em?   

or

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Oct 12, 2007, 05:46 PM »
extra protein right there  boys!

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Oct 12, 2007, 06:23 PM »
Yellow perch fillets, only ice caught, battered and fried in oil. French fries, russet spuds, fried in lard. Fresh baked rolls globed with real butter. Ice cold black label beer. I like trout well enough, but it just ain't the same!

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #53 on: Oct 12, 2007, 06:49 PM »
I like white perch better than trout, but I would eat a harbor pallock before I would feed my cat a yellow perch. :sick: I don't even think I would feed it to my cat, PETA would be after me.
Steve

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Oct 12, 2007, 06:55 PM »
with this in em?   

You can't catch them in NH without those little white guys!

Offline Countyiceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Oct 12, 2007, 10:06 PM »
All fish have parasites...I mean all...and so do your dogs, cats, kids and even us.  In college i took a parisitology class and lab...my chums and I were able to find all kinds of parasite sources...trout, salmon, perch, grouse, rabbits, hamsters(yup hamsters) and squirrels.  You just need to cook your fish well.

Hey HAZMAT...how big a gob of tapeworms have you ever seen in a salmons stomach from Square, cross or long?  Man I have seen some that would choke...well...a horse.
Whenever someone caught a fish...my Uncle David always shouted..."THROW IT BACK TO IT"S MOTHER!!"  I can hear that echoing across the frozen lake now!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #56 on: Oct 13, 2007, 07:03 AM »
actually Im my biggest salmon  it was clean    I have seen worms in trout     usually it is a lake that has a muddy bottom mostly that I have encountered them in      But more pronounced in the perch   nothing is perfect      look at society   there is a diesease that concerns alot of "Perch" people   when ya open it up the meat looks like it is already cooked or freezer burnt

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Oct 13, 2007, 05:31 PM »
caught a sal. out of eagle some years ago that was nice n' fat! buddy of mine cut it open and its insides were full of tapeworms!! we were so grossed out we left it for the ravens! also caught many a togue on telos lake that had funny looking parasites attached to thier skin. some were covered . should have collected samples to give to the bios. yep some are worst than others but they all carry them.

Offline jelliott

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 5 lb + largemouth on 4 lb test leader 2007
« Reply #58 on: Oct 16, 2007, 08:03 PM »
I love a good white perch fry but yellow perch thats where i draw the line Yellow bad White good

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #59 on: Oct 19, 2007, 10:54 AM »
OHHH NOOO!!!!  here we go again!  ;D ;D :thumbsup:

Dirk327, we might have to have another trash fish derby, If my friggin' schedule will ever allow me to head up there, and show these guy's what there missing!  Funny how "Crappies" were a trash fish and now they have a dedicated Crappie night out your way.  Perch could very well be the next "Night Out" fish.  I pray that I'll be able to head up to your neck of the woods and share the Ice with the AWESOME IS members again.  Hopefully we can have a great turn out.  Scott, make any alterations to the Crappie shack?  I'm dying to get on the Hardwater!

Until then, may everyone have tight line's.

Steve
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/icefishpics/albums/userpics/2-18-08_001c.jpg

Sure the Marines are a Department of the Navy, We're the MENS DEPERTMENT!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.