Author Topic: Vexilar Transducer ?  (Read 5015 times)

Offline walleyes4*u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Home of the Free !!!!!!!!
Vexilar Transducer ?
« on: Jul 16, 2007, 09:27 AM »
Son and I just got into ice fishing last season. I have found some used vexilar's. What degree of transducer would work best for our application? We fish IA lakes, mostly maximum depth of 35' deep. Mostly going after gills and crappies with some wallye fishing. Any advice would be helpful ;D

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
Re: Vexilar Transducer ?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2007, 09:31 AM »
how high off the bottom do the fish suspend? What depth do you mostly fish in? How much do you want to spend?
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline walleyes4*u

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2007, 10:21 AM »
Most of the lakes we will be fishing will be only 25' or les for depth. That is IA for ya ;) We will targeting gills & crappies mostly with some walleye fishing. We already have a FL-18 with a 19 degree transducer and a FL-8 SLT with 12 degree transducer on it. We just purchased these used, but I am still looking for one more unit since there is 3 of us fishing. We just started ice fishing last winter and this is all new to us. So any advice is helpful ;D I don't know how high the fish are suspended, isn't that what the vex is suppose to tell me?

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2007, 11:04 AM »
yep, that's what they're supposed to tell you. I use a MarCum Lx-3, and really like the vertical adjustability of the zoom. I wouldn't suggest buying a MarCum if the owner would be fishing near the Vexilar FL 8, with the FL8's you can tune out most of the interference, but there will still be some, from what I've heard and experienced while fishing with people with FL-8's. I have the 20 degree transducer and fish usually 20 ft. of water or less, in 20 ft. of water I believe I see 7' of the bottom, which tells me if fish are moving through the area, and, if they're on screen, they can see my bait. and it help cover more area in shallow water.
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

CSP88

« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2007, 09:44 AM »
Kraig, if the lakes you are going to fish have a lot of structure (brush, weeds) or have severe drop-offs I would opt for the 9*.  If the lakes are mainly bowl shaped with little structure the 19* would be the better option.  The dual transducer would be the cats meow, but if I had to choose between the 9*, 12* & 19* I would go with the 12* as a happy medium.

Offline walleyes4*u

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2007, 06:07 AM »
Kraig, if the lakes you are going to fish have a lot of structure (brush, weeds) or have severe drop-offs I would opt for the 9*.  If the lakes are mainly bowl shaped with little structure the 19* would be the better option.  The dual transducer would be the cats meow, but if I had to choose between the 9*, 12* & 19* I would go with the 12* as a happy medium.

Thanx CSP88, I will probably stay with what is on them and maybe pick up a dual beam for 1 unit each season or see if anybody is interested in purchasing the transducers I have.

PWR BAIT

« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2007, 05:35 PM »
Son and I just got into ice fishing last season. I have found some used vexilar's. What degree of transducer would work best for our application? We fish IA lakes, mostly maximum depth of 35' deep. Mostly going after gills and crappies with some wallye fishing. Any advice would be helpful ;D
I have a fl-18 with a 19* it works good the deeper you go with it the bigger the patteren.Thats where the 9* comes in good in deeper water.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jul 22, 2007, 05:17 AM »
Iowas lakes are mostly shallow enough where the higher #angle will show  a wider area on the bottom.  I have a fl18 with 12* and with farm ponds etc. I could see preferring a 19*.  Dual would be ideal.  Better yet an fl-20 with dual beam.

Offline walleyes4*u

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jul 22, 2007, 12:28 PM »
Iowas lakes are mostly shallow enough where the higher #angle will show  a wider area on the bottom.  I have a fl18 with 12* and with farm ponds etc. I could see preferring a 19*.  Dual would be ideal.  Better yet an fl-20 with dual beam.

Oldbear, where do you do alot of your fishing? Where in central IA are you located? Might see ya on the ice this season. The transducers will work for us for now, at least we have flashers to use. Can always pick up dual beam transducers here and there during the off season.

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #9 on: Jul 22, 2007, 05:15 PM »
All I can say is i love my vexy ultra 18 with daul trans. wouldn't trade it for the world. ;D ;D ;D
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.