Author Topic: Need ice advise  (Read 1908 times)

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
Need ice advise
« on: Jun 26, 2007, 07:55 PM »
Got a situation here in VT. Wife wants to relocate to a little warmer climate, so we're going on a 2/3 week look see road trip next week. Ohio and south and s/e. I'd really aprerciate some boots on the ground intell on how far south I can still get some good ice fishing. Nope guys not the obvious soloution, Ive got 27 yrs invested, figure I'll go the full distance!

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Need ice advise
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2007, 08:21 PM »
Realistically, you shouldn't go too far below the mason/dixon line if you want to stay close to the bottom of the ice belt.  There are a couple members on here that live in northern Virginia and drive a few hours to do some ice fishing in western Maryland and PA.  There's some nice lakes out that way.
Ken                                          

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2007, 08:55 PM »
Putback, Being from Western Pa I hope I'm never in the situation "ice fishing or marriage!" Gee I'd really miss her! After 33 years that would be tough. As Bean said, there's some excellent ice fishing in western Maryland. better known as Deep Creek Lake. I think the lake is about 2700 feet so it freezes fairly easy even though it's below the Mason/Dixon line. Also just over the border in Pa are several good lakes. Hope this helps.    Lou

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2007, 09:06 AM »
A freind from R.I. used to come up here in Vt cusk fishing and said he was able to fish sometimes in R.I., but that it was really touch and go. Other than that I cant help. Sorry Putback. Cant you just tell her to move but visit you on the weekends.   ;D ;D 

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2007, 05:02 PM »
You could always find a nice lodge or place to stay for an extended visit during ice season....
or maybe two or three visits!

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2007, 08:16 PM »
A freind from R.I. used to come up here in Vt cusk fishing and said he was able to fish sometimes in R.I., but that it was really touch and go. Other than that I cant help. Sorry Putback. Cant you just tell her to move but visit you on the weekends.   ;D ;D 
yeah just tell her to visit you on the weekend at the lake in the shack !!!!!!!!!!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:              oh yeah don't forget to tell her to bring extra bait. :flex: :flex: :flex:
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline Doggz1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Think like pike
« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2007, 06:51 PM »
soon to be wife wanted to relocate to Arizona....ice fishing would be totally out..had some very upsetting conversations, pros, cons and all the in-betweens, and in the end got to keep current location in MA with a sweet deal that will keep be drillin at 5 am every day we have ice...just have to go on vacation where SHE wants every year....sounds like a fair trade to me!!! 
Fish when I can

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jul 03, 2007, 11:06 AM »
Hey putback, I'll trade you my house for yours! I'm down here in North Carolina and it's plenty warm for the wife. I wouldn't go below Kentucky or West Virginia if you still want ice reasonably close ice. I need to move back to New England, I'm beginning to hate the south. >:(
2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
2014 Honda Foreman
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline Wegashanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE KING
« Reply #8 on: Jul 03, 2007, 12:18 PM »
move to wisconsin

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #9 on: Jul 03, 2007, 05:40 PM »
i'm in central ohio. 50 miles south no one fishes hard water. we normally get 2-3 weeks of good ice, sometimes more sometimes less. lake erie at the north doesn't always get good ice, but when it does the fishing is fantastic!!!  we don't get the deep snow (usually) like you get in vt. if the mrs. wants a LITTLE warmer climate, she might be happy here. when it gets below 60 here my wife wants to go to florida  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #10 on: Jul 05, 2007, 09:37 PM »
no problem here in pa normally tons of great ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.