Author Topic: Icefishing  (Read 1909 times)

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
Icefishing
« on: Jun 10, 2007, 03:25 AM »
Ya know, when you're having a rough go of it, you always seem to turn to the memories of the best times. It seems that almost all the times that I have enjoyed the most have involved icefishing. Most often alone, soaking up the solitude and the silence that the northern BC bush provides in the dead of winter. It does have a healing property in it. I hope that someday all of you can experience what I mean when I say 'silence'. I've never quite experienced anything quite as silent as the northern BC landscape in winter when the sun sets. The eve of when I took my first laker comes to mind, my favourite trip of all last season.
But sometimes as well, in company of good friends. One of my more memorable times on the ice this past season was the first trip out. TGF had just joined me on the ice and I was punching a new hole when he said "Man it's nice to hear the drill going through." It made me step back and listen to the sound of the blades cutting. A moment I won't soon forget.
So here's to Icefishing, and the moments of clarity and sanity it brings to our lives.
Kris

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline fishfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Icefishing
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2007, 03:23 PM »
 :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline dooberhoopa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ridin' fishin' or huntin' i just wanna be outside
« Reply #2 on: Jun 10, 2007, 04:30 PM »
right on :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Team MIRC NYRC chapter....ROCK BASS ON
The Official Medicine Man of MIRC
Tis better to have fished and lied than never fished at all

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2007, 08:32 AM »
 :'( :'( :'(ok i'm trying to gather myself ;D

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2007, 08:44 PM »
exactly!!!

It is nice to know there are so many like minded individuals when it come to ice fishing. I can hardly wait to start pre season prep - it is only 4 months away and counting. :tipup:

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 13, 2007, 09:54 PM »
I Love It! You folks are hard core ice fishermen.
 ;D
FTD

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2007, 07:43 AM »
exactly!!!

It is nice to know there are so many like minded individuals when it come to ice fishing. I can hardly wait to start pre season prep - it is only 4 months away and counting. :tipup:
With all the recent advancement in electronics, shelters, hybrid lures, rods and reels, ice fishing prep is a perpetual on-going task year round. With sites like IS, and a multitude of ice related publications, ice stays on the brain year round. It is very rewarding to have a platform to discuss past successes and failures as well as future endeavors all concerning ice fishing, year round. It is refreshing as well to find out that what I experience year round is not a disease or condition, but more like a passion that many others enjoy as well.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2007, 09:10 PM »
I've rarely seen the sun rise from a boat, but I've seen it rise many times over the ice....and it is AWESOME!

It's quiet.  The eastern horizon is orange, a few clouds maybe.  You seen your breath, and hear your heart beating.  You hear the crunch of snow and ice under your boots with each step.  A few sticks of kindling in the wood stove, some paper, and a match and then a thin trail of smoke rises from the stack.  A few quick pulls on the recoil starter of the Jiffy.  Then the smell of gas and oil.  Maybe your fire has taken, maybe not.  But still very quiet.  You're wondering where the heck your fishing partner is.  He said he'd meet you at the shack at 7.  Not quite 7, so you get the good holes!  Set the traps.  Add to the fire.  Watch the eagles.  AWESOME!

Flag!!!!

Offline madpistoleer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jun 16, 2007, 08:12 PM »
I've rarely seen the sun rise from a boat, but I've seen it rise many times over the ice....and it is AWESOME!

It's quiet.  The eastern horizon is orange, a few clouds maybe.  You seen your breath, and hear your heart beating.  You hear the crunch of snow and ice under your boots with each step.  A few sticks of kindling in the wood stove, some paper, and a match and then a thin trail of smoke rises from the stack.  A few quick pulls on the recoil starter of the Jiffy.  Then the smell of gas and oil.  Maybe your fire has taken, maybe not.  But still very quiet.  You're wondering where the heck your fishing partner is.  He said he'd meet you at the shack at 7.  Not quite 7, so you get the good holes!  Set the traps.  Add to the fire.  Watch the eagles.  AWESOME!

Flag!!!!

Yep, thats about right, but not always a flag.................. ..But who cares..... No better place to be! Awesome!!!

Remember! 'I' before 'E' (Except in Budweiser).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.