Author Topic: Got skunked Story's,Lets here Em!  (Read 1948 times)

Offline thehunter696

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Land of the Midnight Sun
Got skunked Story's,Lets here Em!
« on: May 22, 2007, 03:46 AM »
This place really turns into a ghost town. I Put my boat in the water today, for the first time, this year. Engine started first pull. Seen a moose and tons of ducks, gulls and eagles. Oh and a wolf with a dog with it, kinda wierd. I thought. Never caught any fish all day, bummer. The high light of the day was on the way home, we came around a bend in the river, and stirred up a bunch of these small black ducks. Pushing them down the river a little ways, where a bald eagle took flight out of his tree, to prey on them. These ducks turned into feathered missiles, and hit the water like comets.  Every time these two ducks came up for air, the bald eagle would go for a kill. This happened for about 2-3 min. When suddenly about about 10 seagulls, came flying in at high speed. They took turns peppering baldy, with dive bombs and lots of squaking. It was very impresive to see nature at its finest, watching that eagle prey. And on the complete other side of the spectrum, it was also impressive to see the fearlessness that those seagulls had, to fly in and save two birds in need of saving. My friend and i sat of to the side of all this, ensuring not interfere. Well i hope i don't get skunked next time. However, i would have never witnessed this if we never got skunked and headed home early.
The nameless men who nameless rivers travel,
And in strange valleys greet strange deaths alone;
The grim, intrepid ones who would unravel
The mysteries that shroud the Polar Zone.         

by Robert W. Service

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Got skunked Story's,Lets here Em!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 09:18 AM »
It sure beats watching Pigeons and sparrows! I would say you were anything but skunked on this trip! Great experience.

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 09:56 AM »
I've got too many skunked stories to recount.  :embarassed:
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 11:01 AM »
they call it fishin', not catchin'.
but, with due dilligence, preparation, hard work, and a little luck, i almost always catch something.
the older i get, the less importance i place on the number or size of the fish i catch, or if i catch anything at all. i count myself lucky anytime i can get out of this damn stinkin' factory and get some fresh air blown up my nose.
skunked? i don't really even pay attention anymore.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 06:37 PM »
I only consider it a bad day if I catch no fish and fall through the ice. There is no such thing as getting skunked, only giving up before the first fish bites. :laugh: I don't get skunked, I run out of time to fish! 8)

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 01:50 PM »
Never been skunked - there have been days when I didn't catch any fish, but I wouldn't call that being skunked. Any day on the ice is a great one.

thehunter696 - you got to experience first hand what most of us have to see on tv -congrats on a truly grand day.

Offline madpistoleer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 08:15 PM »
Yep, just happy to be out there one way or another. Don't matter, I love it!!! :tipup:
Remember! 'I' before 'E' (Except in Budweiser).

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 08:39 PM »
Been skunked often, this one was worth it. Took my son, now 23, to champlain when he was 12. Going to the "big lake" just us two. Early morning till noon not a bite. Different spots and lures, nothing. Dads looking bad, and getting grouchy! To make it worse Pats whining we should go too lake carmi, small lake close to home. I keep telling him its a waste of time. About 1pm I'm sick of hearing Carmi, gonna teach the punk kid a lesson, we pull up and head for carmi. We're skunked anyway. I drive out on the access and tell him pick a spot. He looks a little bewildered and points "over there". I follow his directions to his spot. Now I know its 25 ft deep, sand bottom, nothing for 300yds in any direction and certainly no fish! I bore 2 holes, he skims them out. He even chooses the lures, bare copper plinki's. About 2 minutes jigging and Dads feeling pretty smug. Then all hell breaks loose. In summery, 2 guys, 5 gal pail FULL, at home the bucket weighed 42 lbs. We had only 27 perch, the shortest a foot long. All in under an hour! I learned a number of lessons that day that have served me well, and I don't mean about fishing. In the 11 yrs since you usually catch slap perch there. But if you miss the exact spot by a couple hundred feet you're skunked. What were the odds that kid would pick it. Gotta say ice fishing makes better fathers.

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2007, 04:08 PM »
I've read the various responses on here, and now I've gotta say that BOY DO I HAVE A SKUNKED STORY FOR Y'ALL!! I was about 2-3 years old, I was on my great aunt and uncle's farm. My sister and I took off ahead of the adults heading towards the house from the barn. We went around the bend in the driveway so the adults couldn't see us. I saw one of the various black or grey cats that my aunt had, and it was night so I took off running towards the cat and my sister had turned around and headed towards my parents. meanwhile enthralled with the cat I went up to it and said "here kitty kitty" and bent over to pet it. Come to find out, it was a skunk, not a nice soft fluffy kitty (even though the skunk was soft and fluffy). That's the best skunked story I've got, sorry if it's a little long, but I saw the opening and shot for the moon, hopefully it brings a smile to someone's face, just like it brings one to mine.
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jun 18, 2007, 08:05 PM »
My sister Pam did the same thing one night when she was putting the chickens in!

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #10 on: Jun 22, 2007, 10:13 PM »
I've never been skunked!  I've at least always caught a buzz!

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #11 on: Jun 23, 2007, 08:47 AM »
Sorry dosn't happen in Manitoba ;D ;D :DYa Right

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jul 10, 2007, 12:03 PM »
haven't got skuked yet this year :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum