Author Topic: eskimo or clam  (Read 4363 times)

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
eskimo or clam
« on: Dec 24, 2003, 03:34 AM »
I am looking at getting a 1 person flip top shack I have looked at the fish trap scout and like it alot. I have also looked at the eskimo quickflip and the frabill ultra light. the frabil seems to be the cheapest looking. the eskimo i liked as much as the fishtrap but they were at different stores so it is hard to compare details. which one would you buy?

Offline frostbite

• IceShanty Rookie
  • There is no thrill without the chill!!!
Re:eskimo or clam
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2003, 04:04 AM »
I bought the fish trap this year and love it!!! Never seen any of the others on the lake, only in store displays, but in my opinion their seat systems leave much to be disired. Also the fish trap's fabric seems to be sturdier than the others I've seen in stores.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline Jocko

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Eyes Giant Eyes!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2003, 08:23 AM »
I sold my clam and bought a one man fish trap two years ago and am very happy so far.  Pulls easy by hand and sets up in a heartbeat.  The blue fabric doesn't block out all the light, but I can still see down in the hole pretty good.  I looked at the others when I bought mine and thought the fish trap was the better made product for the buck.

Offline waterwolfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • whoolNutBalls
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2003, 03:48 PM »
fish trap is very convinent

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2003, 12:26 AM »
Is there anyone out there that has the eskimo? I would like to here some input on them if posible. thanks.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2003, 10:58 AM »
The Scout is nice but the interior is a little tight. The Pro offers a lot more room in the same size package.
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline NJ_ICE_HUNTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Come on Cold!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2003, 12:36 PM »
        I have an older fishtrap which I bought from Lonewolf and am greatful for.  I also have and Eskimo Pop-out Type shanty.   I love the convenience of the fish trap but their fabric seems a little weak/thin and the sled also seems a little weak/thin.   However my fish trap is also very old and in good shape, so  it shows durability.  Also, they have made more modifications/improvements since the model trap that i have.  They have "ice armor now",
 so my concerns may not even been a problem any longer.
     For the eskimo, all I can say is that it seems to be built very durable.  The fabric,zipper, sled are all heavy gauge material.  Although I am selling it because I am due for a larger flip style shanty;possibly by an Eskimo Quickflip II or Fish Trap Guide. I wil also have to make a decision. Maybe these websites will help you decide.

Eskimo[/b
http://www.ardisam.com/Eskimo/shelterHome.htm
Fish Trap
http://www.the-clam.com/fishtrap.html

trapdaddy21

« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2003, 10:00 AM »
i own both an eskimo and a fish trap and think both are really nice shelters. the eskimo that i have is the quick flip II, and i really like it. this year i bought a one man shelter and found that the fish trap scout was a better shelter than the quick flip sport. the sled on the sport is very thin and the seat isn't very nice. the sport and the scout are both around 200 bucks, so i would recomend you get the fishtrap. i would say that the material on the fish trap and the eskimo are equally as durable. if your serious about shopping around for the best price, look at gander mountain, i bought my scout for 199 and got a free travel cover.

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2004, 09:22 AM »
I just bought the Eskimo QuickFlip from Farm & Fleet for $169.00 on sale.  They had the Frabill for $149.00 and the HT for $129.00.  After looking at all 3 for quite a while (never bring your wife) I picked the Eskimo, it seemed to have a much better cover, both the length of the skirt and density of the material.  I saw that guys were concerned about the durability of the sled, maybe I looked at a newer model, but the sled on this one looked thicker than the HT and just as thick as the Frabill.  The one I looked at also had a seat in it.  I guess it's just personal preference, I would suggest going somewhere that you can look at all of them at the same time,

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2004, 06:20 PM »
I like the Fish Trap... But they both keep you out of the cold and wind.

Offline Shaggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2004, 09:29 PM »
what size would you recomend for 2 men comfortabley?  Is a 3 man to big?

Offline first ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Watch your eyes boys, watch your eyes
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2004, 10:39 AM »
I have the fish trap guide excellent size has two seats for two and plenty of room . The big plus is if you go by yourself it's light enough to handle by yourself and you have plenty of room. I bought a small size car cup holder that sets on your seat or floor of the car on the hump and modified it to fit in between the two seats of my trap. Works out great holds your beer or soft drink plus odds and ends in the small tray part while fishing. I noticed also with other models the seats are extra, with the fish trap it's one price & you get eveything. Very Happy with mine
Go early , stay late

Offline Shaggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2004, 08:11 PM »
I will be looking into it.....thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.