The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Fremont?  (Read 4266 times)

Offline spudbar

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fremont?
« on: Apr 13, 2007, 03:11 PM »
Anybody been up there? I'm curious to see if the $500.00 55gallon golden drum is on its way across the sea. I think its supposed to arive on may 3rd, at about 10:00am. Hopefully the weather is clear and it arrives right on time.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
Re: Fremont?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2007, 09:20 PM »
I got a note tonight from a buddy of mine who lives in Boulder...said Boulder Lake was iced off far out enough you could fish from the bank...Fremont comes off later so my guess would be probably not yet.  ;D
                                                    Th' "Don"

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2007, 08:47 PM »
Fremont is still totally iced over.  We fished Boulder today and never got a nibble.  The ice that was still there was cracking and singing making small waves come out from under the ice.  Don't know if that keeps the fish from biting but it must have been deafening under the water.  I sure miss the ice :'(
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2007, 10:44 AM »
Fremont is still pretty well capped, even the shoreline still has ice. It is going to take some warm windy days to get it to open up. 

I fished the inlet area of Halfmoon on Saturday (99% frozen), caught 4 nice fat wild spawner rainbows (released to do their thing).

Headed to Boulder yesterday afternoon after taking care of some chores around the house.  We went to the point west of the boat launch and the ice was about 100 yards from shore.  On my first cast with a 1/2 oz. gold and white Krocodile I cast out about 50 yards and let it sink to the bottom.  After 4 cranks of the reel I thought I was snagged, felt 3 or 4 HUGE shakes of the head and then watched helplessly as 100+ yards of line peeled off the reel in about 10 seconds.  I started running down the shoreline, but I could see the bottom of my spool rapidly coming up and had to feather the spool to try and turn this bruiser, with the expected result--POP!  I had 200 yards of fresh 6lb test, and had just tied a new knot, but this fish hardly even felt it.  I may have a chance if it had taken the lure a little closer to shore, but with a 50 yard cast, I did not have a chance to wear him out on such light line.  I have caught a half dozen Macks over 15 pounds on similar gear and this one was MUCH bigger and stronger.

Fished for 45 minutes more, caught one 20" mack and a nice fat rainbow.

Can't stop thinking of that big fish, you always remember the ones that get away!

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2007, 01:59 PM »
Whats the story on the 55 gal, 500 $ golden Drum?

Offline spudbar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2007, 02:45 PM »
The barrel is placed in the middle of the lake durring the fishing derby, and you guess when, Date/time, it's going to hit the shore after ice-off. winner with the closest guess gets 5hundo $.

WoW dorado sounds like a b***hen fish! that sucks u only had 6lb test. I'm going to boulder as soon as ice off, water temps will be changing, and the fat buggers will hopefully be moving around 8)

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2007, 02:47 PM »
Thanks for the info spud bar. I think all Michigan Lakes should have 500 $ Barrell! ;)

Offline spudbar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Apr 16, 2007, 02:55 PM »
Where abouts in Michigan RU, Some of my family lives in and around Traverce City. All Michigan lakes? that would be alotta Dough$ 8)

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2007, 02:57 PM »
I reside in South East MI. Spend some time in your parents area. They are lucky to be there. It is a beautiful place they are at. I know the barrell routine would be lots of dough, just sounded good to deam. ;)

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Apr 22, 2007, 03:38 PM »
We are going to take a ride up there this afternoon and check it out. There is a list of "Ice Off Guesses" on www.pinedaleonline.com showing all the guesses. I'll let you know later what it looks like today.

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Apr 22, 2007, 09:33 PM »
Still iced over, some open water around the outlet and the south shore. You could probably launch a boat but couldn't go anywhere. The barrel is still froze in ice, however there is a crack of open water not too far from its location.

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Apr 25, 2007, 09:06 AM »
Checked the ice again yesterday afternoon. Lots of open water on the south end. It looks like a good W. would do a lot of damage. If it warms up this weekend, like they say it should be gone.

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Apr 25, 2007, 09:29 AM »
A buddy fished it yesterday from shore, hooked 3, landed one 29" laker.  He said you could launch a boat and fish a fair amount of the northwest side of the lake (by the outlet).

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #13 on: Apr 25, 2007, 11:16 AM »
dang dorado, you just cemented our plans to make a trip to the boulder.  did you see i got my new boat?  you should PM me your number so i can get a hold of you and let you know when we're heading onto the lake - you should come with us

grant

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 10:30 AM »
dorado, spud and i fished boulder on sat - had a couple bites on the dollfly jig (fluorescent green) @ approximately 80 fow and another couple on some dead baits, but spud caught the only fish...  went back on sunday with another friend, but got no bites, so packed up at about 3:00 and headed to halfmoon.  right off the boat dock, i went back to the boat's transom to adjust the fishfinder, and dumped my cell phone in  :%$#!: .  oh well.  after searching unsuccessfully for the bar you told me about just off the big point on the lodge side of the lake, we buzzed across to the other side and found a good amount of fish from 20 - 65 ft.  caught a fair amount of them on white tube jigs, and even got to watch some of the action on my aquaview underwater camera.  nothing huge, but we did see what i am pretty sure was a big fish at 63 fow.  on our way back to the dock i found what could've been the bar you were talking about, but it only came up to 95 feet at its shallowest.  is this it?

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 04:28 PM »
I was turkey hunting last weekend. 

Boulder is hit and miss, I think because it has more forage, so the fish are less likely to smack a fake bait?

The bar on Halfmoon is to the east (or toward the inlet) on the same side as the lodge, but on the other side of the point. The water surrounding it is 80+ fow, and it comes up to around 65 feet.  It is also worth while to try fishing the inlet area when there is some good runoff coming in, mostly macks, but there are some trophy rainbows in there as well.

I am hoping Willow is open, I have caught several 15 pounders on kastmasters and white Mr twisters during the first few days after the ice is off. If it is i plan on hitting it at first light tommorrow!

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #16 on: Nov 02, 2007, 11:44 AM »
doin' any fishing down there, d?  jackson lake just opened up again after the month-long hiatus - i'm working now, but plan on going out this weekend.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #17 on: Nov 02, 2007, 02:09 PM »
     I'm gonna jump in here BD, my fishing buddy caught some hefty bows near the Boulder Lake dam the other day...hung a nice pair of 'em on my door while I was chasin' the elk. Thought you'd like to know about that  ;D
                                                                                                          ICE/LT

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.