The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Northern Maine 03-03-07  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
Northern Maine 03-03-07
« on: Mar 13, 2007, 06:45 PM »

Finally getting some time to post a few pictures. Here's a few scenery pics of the lake just in front of the camp.

First fish of the day, nice Brookie.

A few Brookies the first day

You know, I road my sled about 30 miles around home before the trip with no problems. But when you 12 miles away from camp in the middle of nowhere, that's when they decide to quit.  >:( Ended up towing it back to camp (which is a whole story in itself). Spent some time on it that night and she ran like a charm the rest of the weekend.

One of the trails along the way.

A couple of trout that I caught the next day.

The only keeper Togue - 8lbs though. He was pretty happy.

We even caught a Hornpout. That was the last thing I thought I'd see coming up through the ice.

And finally a few of the fish that we caught that day. A few more Brookies were caught before we left. One of the better days we've had.

I still have a few mor pics, I'll try to them later.  :tipup:

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: Northern Maine 03-03-07
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2007, 06:48 PM »
WTG O4T  ...looks oke ya head some nice weather and great fishing!! thx for posting...sorry to hear agbout your troubles with your sled...aint it always the way

Offline Frozen__Nutts

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • So easy, a cave man could do it
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2007, 07:05 PM »
sweet pics .where was that?

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2007, 07:37 PM »
WTG O4T  ...looks oke ya head some nice weather and great fishing!! thx for posting...sorry to hear agbout your troubles with your sled...aint it always the way

The weather good for the most part, but the wind would pick up now and then. Ya, the first attempt at towing ended up with the sled rolling on top of me.......we had to stop and make a few adjustments.

sweet pics .where was that?

Mostly on Churchill Lake, the scenery pics were Spider Lake.

Offline Red

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Julie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2007, 07:42 PM »
Ya, the first attempt at towing ended up with the sled rolling on top of me.......we had to stop and make a few adjustments.

Great pics, looks beautiful out there - hope you weren't hurt man, those things can kill ya!

Offline icefishmaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2007, 07:59 PM »
Great Pictures! i love that area, cant wait to get back there

Offline salmohunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2007, 08:02 PM »
Great pic.. Heading North Thurs. Caribou Lake. Hope to have as good luck as you did.. ;D
All fisherman are lier's....Except you and me....And I'm not so sure about you...

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2007, 08:59 PM »
at least you guys did good on churchill. clear was a total wipe! we went to ross over the weekend. got some small togue and whitefish. one guy got a 25in. 6lb togue. i also got a 19 and 18in. brookie. caught 20 plus cusk jigging during the day for whites. biggest was 4lbs. most were 3. was warm but the wind was wipping! went to eagle today got a 26in. toge and 2   16in. togue. my buddy got a 24in togue and lost 2. were real lazy bitters. figures eagle finally bites and theres 2 days left in the season! oh well its been fun anyway. looking forward to chasing muskie soon.

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2007, 09:12 PM »
Boy, Clear was slow this year, we did manage one whitefish before we left. Good to see you again even though it was a short visit. Sounds like you've been busy though, nice Brookies and a pile of cusk. Good luck with the muskie.

Offline OLBLUUU

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2007, 04:48 AM »
The weather good for the most part, but the wind would pick up now and then. Ya, the first attempt at towing ended up with the sled rolling on top of me.......we had to stop and make a few adjustments.

Mostly on Churchill Lake, the scenery pics were Spider Lake.

spider lake is a beautiful lake, always want to try clear and ross lake, in '05 our group landed 2 28"- 8# togue at spider in open water .   what tranquility and solitude that area has to offer!!!!

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2007, 05:06 AM »
great pics O4T....looks gorgeous up there.   fresh snow on the trees adds so much to the scenery.....when was that?

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2007, 05:06 AM »
Pretty fish and scenery Out4Trout - nice stuff.  Thanks for posting.  Oh, by the way, next time just fold the dogsled down and ratchet strap the sled on, much safer for you that way ;D  P.S. love the old phazer, looks mint... they go forever.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2007, 06:04 AM »
Looks like you guys had a great trip.

Nice pictures.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2007, 06:21 AM »
spider lake is a beautiful lake, always want to try clear and ross lake, in '05 our group landed 2 28"- 8# togue at spider in open water .   what tranquility and solitude that area has to offer!!!!

It's great first thing in the morning out on the lake, not a sound, the wind is calm, everythig is frosted up, hard to beat that. Never been on Spider in the summer, there is usually quite a bit of action though. The largest togue I've caught out of Spider was 6-1/2lbs, those 8lber's must have been a blast.

.....when was that?

A little over a week ago, the weekend of March 3, 2007. It's in my subject line.  ;D

Pretty fish and scenery Out4Trout - nice stuff.  Thanks for posting.  Oh, by the way, next time just fold the dogsled down and ratchet strap the sled on, much safer for you that way ;D  P.S. love the old phazer, looks mint... they go forever.

That phaser goes good, the guy takes real good care of it. I may try the dogsled trick next time, (hopefully there won't be a next time). We shortened up the tow rope and I rode with another guy. Worked a lot better.

Offline Togueman8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2007, 07:11 AM »
awesome pics, sorry to here about ur little excursions there with the sled. hornpout is getting bad up there, cliff is right full of them and u can catch them all day in the spring and fall. i remember never even hearing about hornpout up there until one day they were everywhere. funny to see it come through the ice.
U Maine Fort Kent Hardwater Team

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2007, 07:35 AM »
Sorry for the hijack

We spent many years going to Spider for our annual iceout trip.  Last time we went it was crowed and we ended up camping at the launch.  Can't remember what time it was but after we were asleep, our tent lit up and there was a loud crash.  Couple of boneheads from Millinocket got hammered and drove in.  Went right between our tents, took out the picnic table, our coolers, stoves and lanterns.  Scared the crap out of us.  That is when we decided to fish spots that you can't drive to.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.