Author Topic: the weather  (Read 1228 times)

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
the weather
« on: Mar 08, 2007, 06:27 PM »
 so how do you all think fishing would be this weekend?  was planning on heading up to cowan, but drilling through 3.5ft of rotten ice isn't my idea of fun, not to mention the sogginess...

if the weather holds, is it worth going?  keeping in mind we can walk on to the ice...

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
Re: the weather
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2007, 08:44 PM »
im going to echo and pasqua this weekend no matter what. the temps are to warm for my liking but will be a nice change last time i was fishing it was -40. i wouldnt think twice about skipping out on fishing just because of the weather. but personal preferance. just watch for the inlets/outlets and springs

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2007, 08:50 PM »
i don't know about cowan but most of the lakes around meadow lake have good ice definitely won't be "rotten" up at keeley on the weekend.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline chewster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Hey Dad, it's cold, put another log on the fire"
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2007, 09:25 AM »
We're heading out to Little Arm and then north, maybe the stone barn.  I have no idea
what ice conditions are like right now.  I haven't been out since last Saturday's Regina
Beach ice fishing derby.  All I'm worried about now is how much the snow has melted or
will melt by Saturday and how much standing water slush is going to be around.  I'm hoping
its passable north from Little Arm on the west side.  Wouldn't mind seeing the fish turn
on for a change either. :tipup:
The Chewster

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2007, 08:18 PM »
Takes a lot of warm weather to rot ice.  Dad used to drive out with trucks on the ice into April when the season lasted that long, I wouldn't be concerned unless there is current under the ice.  If there is some water on top of the ice it is generally good ice, when there is no water on top and the ice looks sort of brown, it's rotten.  Stick to the water puddles and you'll be fine. ;)

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2007, 08:50 PM »
most of the lakes still have heavy snow cover around here not much happens to it until the snows gone and the sun can beat on it. over 36 inches of ice up at keeley yet.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.