The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Rookie with a Power Auger  (Read 1584 times)

Offline akcarpenter

• IceShanty Rookie
Rookie with a Power Auger
« on: Mar 08, 2007, 12:35 PM »
HI all,

Was hoping for some basic instructions on the use of power augers.  I have a 9' Eskimo Mako, and have drilled about 12 holes with it so far and have had a few questions come up while doing so, and hopeful someone can clear up or help me work out a better technique.

1.  The Ice is about 36" thick, i often drill about half way than pull the auger out than start anew, seems to work better than just drilling all the way down.

2.  At times the auger seems to get stuck and i end up having to "pump" it up/down a few times to get it drilling again, is this normal?

Any tips on auger use/ease would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Paul

Offline snopro31

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Rookie with a Power Auger
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2007, 01:23 PM »
use some weight when it gets stuck. 

dont bang it up and down or your blades will be crappy. 

i currently drill through 40+inchs of ice now and i use and extension and just power my way through.  just lean on your auger to get it through some of the ice as the old ice is at the bottom and is usually the worst ice.

Offline akcarpenter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2007, 10:41 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  ;D

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2007, 11:59 AM »
use some weight when it gets stuck. 

dont bang it up and down or your blades will be crappy. 

i currently drill through 40+inchs of ice now and i use and extension and just power my way through.  just lean on your auger to get it through some of the ice as the old ice is at the bottom and is usually the worst ice.

I use the opposite tactic when an auger bogs down at the bottom.  I lift it up so it gets going again. Then I set it back down and don't use any pressure at all.  That way it lets the blades do the cutting without being bogged down.  Sometimes it takes a couple of trys. 

I would think adding weight would cause it to bog down more.  Anyone else have any advice?

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline Medson25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2007, 12:07 PM »
I agree. I always pull my auger back up a little until it gets going again, then put it back down very gently so the blades do the work and not the weight of the auger or me.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2007, 02:42 PM »
I think clearing the snow and chips out of the hole, creates less resistance to the turning drill.
Just don't bang it up and down.  Bend/dull the blades.  My 2hp Jiffy, I put no pressure, let the
drill do all the work.  My 3hp Jiffy, I put all my weight on it at times.  Maybe I need to sharpen
my 3hp's blades.  :whistle:

Offline akcarpenter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2007, 05:21 PM »
Ok seems i have the basics down than, first year with the power auger and cant believe i waited so long to buy one.  Used to be as soon as the ice passed the 2 foot mark i stopped fishing for the year.

Paul

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2007, 09:34 PM »
Fishing is just getting good when it passes the 2' mark.

Heck, was out in the rain and slush the AM, the ice was still 3' thick!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.