Author Topic: where to go in sask  (Read 5127 times)

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
where to go in sask
« on: Mar 06, 2007, 08:28 PM »
Heading up to Saskatchewan in july can someone point me in the right direction to catch some monster walleye and pike.Any info greatly appreciate.Send me a personal message if u dont want to post the lake up
Not working for 2.5 years because of a bad back is taking it's effect on my bank roll...but hey,my fishing skills are much better :}

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: where to go in sask
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2007, 09:09 PM »
Your best bet will likely be Tobin Lake.  Lots of big pike and walleye come out every year.  Great fishery.

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2007, 12:35 AM »
That was one of the lakes ive been deciding on.I m going to reindeer lake in july gonna probely hit tobin on my way back to alberta.Thx for your reply
Not working for 2.5 years because of a bad back is taking it's effect on my bank roll...but hey,my fishing skills are much better :}

Offline azz7772

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2007, 11:17 PM »
are you bringing a boat or planning on renting? if you are bringing one what size is it?

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2007, 10:20 PM »
are you bringing a boat or planning on renting? if you are bringing one what size is it?
when i go to reindeer im renting but on july 14th goin out again and ill have a prince craft 16.5ft with 125 on the back.Whats up its sounding like u know a spot but might not be able to bring a boat?Im game to go anywhere as long as its decent fishing.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2007, 10:46 PM »
bring some extra props unless your hiring a guide, big time reef city. :) make sure you have a rock guard as well that road can be miserable
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline Natwild

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2007, 11:01 AM »
Extra props and extra tires lol

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2007, 04:05 PM »
One of those trips lol.Are we talking about when i go to reindeer lake or tobin?

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2007, 05:09 PM »
Reindeer.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2007, 09:38 PM »
yeah tires too, went up to geikie last fall the road can be hell. glad my boat was on the truck not a tralier.

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2007, 01:31 AM »
Reindeer.
Thx for the advice husser.Is there alot of gravel going up to southbend?How did u make out when u went up?Im renting a boat when i go up there finally a vacatioin where most headaches are gone,just gotta get there!!!1

Offline Natwild

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2007, 09:59 AM »
Thx for the advice husser.Is there alot of gravel going up to southbend?How did u make out when u went up?Im renting a boat when i go up there finally a vacatioin where most headaches are gone,just gotta get there!!!1
Hey Warren77

Good choice on Reindeer
Lotsa big Gators and trout up there
Once you get 30 kms north of La Ronge the road turns to gravel and lots of washboard.  You will have approx 160 kms of gravel to Southend.  They have done quite a bit of work on the road in the last 5 years, widening it and blasting out hills so it is better.  Definitely check your truck and trailer over well B4 you go.There are a few service stations along the way at km 80 or so, km 140 and at km 174.

Good fishin

Good luck

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2007, 03:19 PM »
when were up that road in september the first 150 kms were god awful the stretch past the southend junction was actually much better, the last 150 kms to geikie river were pretty good. some bad bad washboard :-[ :-[

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2007, 09:40 PM »
Im going to reindeer in a brand new 07 dodge 1 ton.Its a long stretch on gravel,Hopefully the pig nose holds up lol!Thats such good info u guys have been giving me i really appreciate it.I cant wait for july!!!!Im in search of the 30lb slough shark and i think reindeers a good place to start,If anyone else knows of any good spots i might have some luck on please dont hesitate to pm me or post ty

Offline Natwild

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2007, 09:09 AM »
Lots of big trucks on the road to reindeer and the odd "wild man driver" going south.  Take it easy and it should be no problem.  You might want to pick up a few Manns minus ones, they are a crank bait that the big pike can't resist.  also is pretty handy to have a fly(I like the black bunny leach) on a spare rod when fishin the pike.  Then you have a very efficient method to get the "followers" that you want a shot at. 

Flat fish,t-50 to t60's,  Husky junior spoons,  LT5D(Len Thompson 5 of Diamonds) and williams wobler and whitefish, and a hand full of Half-waves are producers for the Lakers.  Downrigger, in line weights or dipsy divers.  Troll , troll,  troll if you want big ones,  Jigging works but usually not for the monsters.  Find the 40 to 70 + foot drop.  Access to deep water with a feeding shelf or reef.  access to deep water is crucial

Good Luck   

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2007, 11:30 AM »
don't forget the ruby red eye's and big lucky strike canoe spoons with the red dot they are deadly on the downriggers.

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 12, 2007, 02:18 PM »
Wow u guys are really helping a guy out and i cant tell u how much i appreciate it.Im gonna be trolling alot,I bought a rod this year just for that!!Anyone ever been to Nordic Lodge if u have please tell me how it was.Im renting a boat so im not sure if they have a depth meter.Thats something i better find out...

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 12, 2007, 02:52 PM »
if you are planning on trolling i would bring some dipsies or a couple portable downriggers, i would guess the trout will be down in that 50-80 foot range that time of year.

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 13, 2007, 01:47 PM »
Is there any spoons i could use for lakers.Ive never gone for them cause Alberta lakes where i live there are none within 4 or 5 hours so i dont get to fish for them.I want to and i just talked to guys at lodge they have downriggers there.I bought a large chrome silver spoon  was told they would be good for big pike and some lake trout,gonna have to give that a try.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 13, 2007, 05:42 PM »
my number one for lakers is the glow firetiger blue fox matrix spoon it'll wobble at any speed behind the downrigger, the biggest len thompson five a diamonds is another good laker spoon.  and i think i already mention old ruby eyes get a couple different sizes lakers seem to love those things. pick up some big flatfish as well i like the glow ones. for the pike don't forget the big bucktails, my favorite is the black and silver mepps musky marabou. 

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #20 on: Mar 14, 2007, 12:56 AM »
Don't forget some large soft plastic lures to, both lakers and pike will go for them. The 6 and 9 inch storm wildeyes soft shads are a good choice as are the largest wildeye live series.
Don't over look the biggest curly tail grubs you can find.
A large paddle tail or curly tail is needed to get there attention.

WW

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 14, 2007, 02:31 AM »
I went out and bought a rubberworm thats about 9inches long....a white one very heavy.Everyone laughed at me when i bought it,Do u guys think i could catch a big slough shark with that....Not much a pike wont take?Ive been collecting an assortment of large spoons.I just need the right spoones,The ones that catch the 15lb and up lol

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 14, 2007, 12:30 PM »
i would get some titanium leaders as well i like the 80 lb ones. i would try to get one of the blue fox spoons i mentioned second to none for me for lakers. caught my biggest last summer on one in 90 FOW.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #23 on: Mar 14, 2007, 06:07 PM »
MeadowPikeman could you post a picture of the bluefox matrix spoon?

I took a quick look at the bluefox web page but could not see it.Al they had were pixee spoons, rattlin pixee spoons, strobe teardrop spoons, rattle flash jigging spoon and foxy fish and flash spoons. :-\

Warren, I think the big grub will work fine, pike are usually game for anything that goes by. :)

WW

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 14, 2007, 07:00 PM »
i took a look i didn't see it either, maybe its discontinued, if i have time i'll take a picture of a couple i have. i better buy a bunch next time i see them just in case they are not making them anymore.

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Mar 16, 2007, 06:52 PM »
Meadowpikeman if u could take a picture of those spoons u were talking about that would be so helpfull.The more photos the better.Thx for all the help,I appreciate it alot

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 26, 2007, 08:30 PM »
Does anyone know how big the walleye are out of reindeer lake?

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 26, 2007, 09:26 PM »
i would venture to say probably not all that big anywhere north of the churchill usually its more of a numbers game, although there are exceptions, at any rate don't expect numbers of big walleyes as in over 5 lbs.

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Apr 04, 2007, 06:27 PM »
Meadowpikeman where would u recommened in sask that was good for large walleye...or just a good lake period?

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Apr 04, 2007, 08:00 PM »
I'm not really the guy to talk to about walleye as I don't fish them that much. Tobin is an obvious choice for trophies and pretty good numbers as well, only fished walleye there once did ok but was a little early in the year for the big ones. an awesome walleye/sauger lake is sandy lake just north of pinehouse. some decent lake trout fishing just 5 minutes north of there at gordon lake as well. never fished sandy but a lot of guys i work with go up there 100+ fish per day is pretty standard. and if you re downrigging at gordon 30-60 fish per day for lake trout.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.