Author Topic: Lake of the Prairies  (Read 5481 times)

Offline Tyler_Leonhardt

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake of the Prairies
« on: Mar 05, 2007, 08:50 AM »
Heading out to lake of the praries this weekend, never fished there during any season, what do i look for and what areas tend to be productive?

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
Re: Lake of the Prairies
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2007, 01:19 PM »
Try Andersons point heard they are getting some Perch and Walleye there . Its south of Pyotts west and road is suppose to be plowed.

Offline fishingmom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2007, 06:17 PM »
Just a word of caution.  At Anderson's, the drive is quite a ways out onto the lake and the snow is pretty deep.  You could get stuck.  I know I did.  Unless there are other people out on the lake, I would be cautious about venturing out there with a vehicle.  Some place closer to shore is the Roblin bridge (Ricker's campground).  You don't have to drive so far.  Whether you'll catch any fish is another question.

Offline firemb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2007, 09:48 PM »
We fished andersons this weekend.Fishing was o.k. Never caught one keeper eye.Some good jumbo perch and a couple nice pike and one burbot.No plowed road on Friday.Plowed on Saturday but starting to blow in on Sunday.We were fishing closer to shore.

[img]

Offline fishingmom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2007, 10:31 PM »
We were fishing closer to shore.
How far out and whereabouts were you?  Were the walleyes too big or too small?

Offline todryk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2007, 10:50 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D Fished at Andersons today............road plowed down to lake.............road plowed to the south-east on the lake
...........nothing plowed to the sand-bar..........good catch of perch today......several jumbos......a few slot wallys and a few
oversized (20-25 inchers)........trying to get a few more roads plowed on the lake ......maybe by week-end??? Going out again on Wednesday. 8) 8) 8)

Offline WALLYWHACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Work is for days I don't fish!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2007, 07:56 AM »
Thanks for the reports Todryk. :thumbsup: I think we'll have to head up there next week with TGF and the boys at least 1 day on one of our excursions. ;D

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2007, 01:56 PM »
Thanks for the reports Todryk. :thumbsup: I think we'll have to head up there next week with TGF and the boys at least 1 day on one of our excursions. ;D

Let me kinow which day Wacker maybe we can go out and push my snowmoblie around the lake again :roflmao: :roflmao: :wacko: :blink:

Offline todryk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2007, 11:01 PM »
 :blink: :blink: Out at Andersons today.....was a little slower than Monday.........got a few perch...only 3 jumbos......no keeper
slots but a few over 21+........it was fun.........won't get out until next week as we are gone for the week-end :%$#!: :%$#!:

Keep those lines tight !!!

Offline fishingmom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2007, 10:07 PM »
Went to Roblin bridge today and again very slow.  Weren't many people out for such a beautiful day.  I caught one Jack about 18" and lost many minnows.  Again, the bite is very light, except for the Jack.  When they hit, they don't fool around.  As I was leaving around 7 PM, an elderly guy caught a small burbot.  Nobody else caught anything all day.  Oh when will the fish start biting ??? ???

Offline huntercam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2007, 10:47 PM »
I can hardley wait for the soft water heading to the lake for the 1st week of June ;D ;D ;D

Offline huntercam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2007, 10:49 PM »
I can hardley wait for the soft water heading to the lake for the 1st week of June ;D ;D ;D
sorry From Peace River AB

Offline WALLYWHACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2007, 06:39 AM »
Went to Roblin bridge today and again very slow.  Weren't many people out for such a beautiful day.  I caught one Jack about 18" and lost many minnows.  Again, the bite is very light, except for the Jack.  When they hit, they don't fool around.  As I was leaving around 7 PM, an elderly guy caught a small burbot.  Nobody else caught anything all day.  Oh when will the fish start biting ??? ???
Fishermom try using a 1/4 oz. jig and just a minnow head,or a fireball jig with a stinger hook.set the hook thru the minnow mouth and out the top of the head,then attach the stinger hook just in front of the tail.It sounds like all those lost minnows may be perch stealing your bait. :) worth a try! ;D

Offline fishingmom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2007, 04:04 PM »
Fishermom try using a 1/4 oz. jig and just a minnow head,or a fireball jig with a stinger hook.set the hook thru the minnow mouth and out the top of the head,then attach the stinger hook just in front of the tail.It sounds like all those lost minnows may be perch stealing your bait. :) worth a try! ;D

Well, first off, I had to look up what a fireball jig with a stinger hook was  ???.  I think that is kind of what I've been using.  I just call it a jig head  ;D.  However, I wasn't putting the minnow on like that.  Everyone uses live minnows at LOTP and it does seem to make a big difference as to whether you get a bite or not.  I was told to put it through their top fin but I find that the fish can steal your bait really easily when it is just hooked through the top fin, but I guess they are suppose to be free to move around on the hook.  Plan on going out again Saturday so I'll have to try your suggestion Wally.

Offline fish seeker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2007, 08:40 PM »
Agree with Huntercam, sounds like perch.  I usually hook my live minnows in the tail.  Not too far out, just enough to not hit their guts.

Nonetheless the stingers will take care of bait thieves.

Good luck, only  a few more weeks left!

Fish Seeker

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2007, 08:54 PM »
I was told to put it through their top fin but I find that the fish can steal your bait really easily when it is just hooked through the top fin, but I guess they are suppose to be free to move around on the hook. 

If you want to dorsal hook them, you can, but go into the flesh below the fin...if you are just going through the fin itself, they might even be struggling free.  Some people go through the back, while others will kind of thread on keeping the hook just to one side of the dorsal...hmm...not sure I'm making sense - basically, you can either go through the back - hook entering on one side and exiting on the other side of the dorsal fin or you can keep the hook on one side of the dorsal fin.

If you want to try using a stinger hook, I would put the jig through the lips and the stinger in the tail.  A stinger hook is one that hooks onto another with a short piece of wire.  The Fishin' Hole carries treble stingers.
Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline fishingmom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 10, 2007, 06:27 PM »
Well, once again went out to Roblin bridge hoping to actually catch some fish.  Was a beautiful day, weather-wise, but probably one of the worst fishing days for catching anything.  The place was abuzz with fisher people.  There must have been 20-25 people out there today.  The only fish I heard that anyone caught was 1 lonely perch about 12 inches.  I never even had a nibble.  My friend never even had a nibble.  All the men around us never even had a nibble.  Absolutely nothing, zero, zilch  :%$#!: :%$#!: Could not believe it.  Such a glorious day and not a fish in site.  One guy had an underwater camera and he never even saw a fish all morning.  They left around 1 PM. I have a flasher and I never saw anything either.  Just don't understand it.  The weather hasn't changed in a number of days so you can't blame lows or highs or whatever.  Good thing at least the sun was shining.  This lake is brutal in the winter.  Boy, these fish are going to be some hungry come May.

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #17 on: Mar 10, 2007, 06:52 PM »
You're back too early fishingmom, the walleyes are likely just starting to bite right now   ;D.  I went out today too for awhile but to try for pike, and got skunked, although not uncommon when you're using foot long baits.  I only fished for a couple hours and left at 3.  Well actually I didn't get skunked I did get one eye when I got bored and decided to do some jigging out a little deeper, but it was less than half the size of the bait I was using for pike.  I am going back tomorrow, this time in the evening for walleyes, and I'll likely be staying till dark. 

Offline fishingmom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 10, 2007, 09:11 PM »
Well, look who's back from the north country.  Where were you fishing "Master"?  It definitely couldn't have been where everyone else was today as nobody caught anything >:(.  Yeah, yeah, I know, they only bite at dark.  A guy that was there today and who was also fishing on Thursday when I was there said he stayed until 7:30 on Thursday and still didn't get anything, except for one lowly burbot. I think it's all just a big "fish tale" that there are any fish in that lake  ;D

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2007, 09:38 PM »
 :roflmao:  I was at a "secret spot" fishingmom.  We'll see what happens tomorrow.  I just hope the fish know where my "secret spot" is too.

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 11, 2007, 10:32 AM »
FGM you need to move around the lake to find them. I am one to talk beacuse as soon as I get comfy I stay in tyhe same area as well. ::) ::) ::) Better luck next time.
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 11, 2007, 07:33 PM »
Well today wasn't too great, I did get afew eyes, but nothing of any size.  I didn't stay right till dark though as the wind was nasty today.  I've always heard if you hold fish far out from your body it makes them look bigger.  Well I must be doing something wrong, because I tried it on three fish today and it didn't work on any  ;D. LOL   How did you do wallywacker?, I bet you likely hammered the perch.

Offline WALLYWHACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 11, 2007, 08:22 PM »
Well;we didn't make it to LOTP as it was raining all a.m. here in Dauphin and didn't think the hwys would be to good.Another time.It looks like you had clear skies,that we didn't see today at all! :)

Offline fishingmom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 11, 2007, 10:16 PM »
Well, Master, I guess you should have told the fish about your "secret spot" or at least told me and I could have told them  ;D.  Told you that there are no fish in that lake  ;); they went south for the winter  ::).

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 11, 2007, 10:23 PM »
Well, Master, I guess you should have told the fish about your "secret spot" or at least told me and I could have told them  ;D.  Told you that there are no fish in that lake  ;); they went south for the winter  ::).

Maybe I just caught them all in november and december.  :D

Offline todryk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 15, 2007, 07:24 PM »
 :o :o The perch have been biting and there has been more eye action...........we're fishing at Andersons ::) ::)

Offline herefishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Mar 17, 2007, 09:11 PM »
Think of going our Sunday to LOTP and reprots of action ove rthe last few days.  I know that the road was plowed at Anderson's.  Is it still half decent or should I take the sled???

Offline Bearcat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 18, 2007, 09:17 AM »
Herefishy, not sure if I am replying too late to help you.  Road at Anderson's is plowed.  Make sure you have a 4x4 in order to get back up the road.  Helped a couple of gents last night push their two wheel drive.  Once it warmed up, it was just a little too slick.

We went straight out from the approach and caught one 19" walleye, about a dozen 10" walleye and three nice eater jack.  The people that followed the shoreline and went south caught loads of jumbo perch.  As I am the truckless wonder, and assumed there would be plenty of slush, I didn't bring the sled.  Oh well, great day to be on the ice with my son.

Offline herefishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 18, 2007, 09:23 AM »
Just checking the psot before I left thanks for the information

Offline todryk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 19, 2007, 08:37 AM »
 :clap: :clap: Jumbos biting thru out the day............keeper eyes at dark.....shallow....4-6 feet
 ..... :wacko: :wacko:when coming on at Andersons......watch out for large ice heave.........go around by orange marker......
I just love March :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.