Author Topic: help  (Read 1723 times)

Offline ldebriyn8

• IceShanty Rookie
help
« on: Mar 03, 2007, 09:25 PM »
well my ice shack is melting in  so i was wondering if anyone had an ideas to help me out the shack is in good condition still and we got about 2 feet of snow on the ice so i dont know what im gonna do or how im gonna get it out i was wondering if u guys had any ideas thanks

Offline Frozen__Nutts

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • So easy, a cave man could do it
Re: help
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2007, 09:32 PM »
bonfire?

Offline ldebriyn8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2007, 09:43 PM »
ya i know but its only the shacks 2nd year out

Offline artycat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2007, 10:44 PM »
Find someone with a bobcat. Or a big truck.

Offline Tinman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2007, 12:33 AM »
chainsaw + good 4x4 truck.

It's worked for me late in the season several years. Use the saw at a shallow angle around the shanty perimeter, a longer bar helps. Saw along at about a 30 degree angle to the ice surface. Hook up with truck and pop it out of the lake's icy grasp

Muhahaha!

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2007, 06:19 AM »
Tinmans idea sounds like a plan.  Sounds like the first problem might be getting to it with a vehicle.

Offline ldebriyn8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2007, 08:15 PM »
thanks for the ideas but keep em coming i wanna hear what all u guys have to say i dont know what im gonna do yet

Offline MuskyHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Time to play the game!"
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2007, 05:22 AM »
How deep are ya frozen in? If it's not frozen really deep, i'd get it spudded loose and then block it up 6". Use 2x4's or whatever to get it up off the ice.
   Now, how far from shore are ya? Can ya reach it with a winch and extra rope or cable? Maybe a friend with a big wheeler with a winch? Just some ideas, i've gone through the same fun myself. First though, ya gotta get it blocked up, then ya can get some help towing it off. :tipup:
Eddie D.      NYRC member 

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2007, 07:25 AM »
bonfire?

Good Idea, then buy a FISH TRAP ;D
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2007, 10:56 AM »
lol, gotta go with the chainsaw or spud bar idea. And for future reference blocking it up is good. Hope you get it out alright, may have to phone a friend with a plow truck and get you a path out there.
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline fishskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2007, 11:25 AM »
This week is going to be real cold until friday. So with that, If you stack some 4x4's (short ones like 12")at on end of your shanty And use a long pry bar with slow steady pressure most times than not the leverage will pop the skis' out.Using the spud bar will definatly assist in this. I say this week because if you get it out of the ice one evening you'll probably be able to glide it across the frozen snow/slush back to shore befor thing go bad this weekend. The only other option is to find a friend with a helecopter(HA).
Which lake are you on?

Offline ldebriyn8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2007, 12:05 PM »
im out on lake superior in Ashland Wisconsin, im fishing in the big body of water and i aint that close to shore so it will be fun

Offline Fishin2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2007, 12:10 PM »
Get the shack really hot indoors for a while, heat transfers somewhat. If you have a way to heat a couple 5 gal buckets of water to boiling, pour around ski's and use a long 4x4 with blocks for leverage, might just pop up !Mike
ps, how hard would it be to take a saw and cut laterally around shack on the skids?  pry them up once shack is moved.
Get a couple turkey fryer set-ups to heat the water or get someone with a torch for putting down rubber roofing, be careful around wood.Melt that ice.

Offline bullheaded

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2007, 03:36 PM »
I have heard of this but not tried it myself, so use your own judgement on this.  I have heard that some people will go inside of their hut and drill your holes open.  Next point a 12 gauge shotgun down in the hole with the barrel just above the water.  Fire a slug into your hole and the Hydraulic Shock will pop the hut out of the ice.  I would think ear plugs would be a good idea.  Like I said, I have heard this from some "oldtimes" and I believe they were being truthful.
Always preserve nature, I use a FOODSAVER !!!

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2007, 03:40 PM »
I have heard of this but not tried it myself, so use your own judgement on this.  I have heard that some people will go inside of their hut and drill your holes open.  Next point a 12 gauge shotgun down in the hole with the barrel just above the water.  Fire a slug into your hole and the Hydraulic Shock will pop the hut out of the ice.  I would think ear plugs would be a good idea.  Like I said, I have heard this from some "oldtimes" and I believe they were being truthful.
Ear plugs and life jacket!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2007, 04:00 PM »

Don't forget to yell "doggone Bullheads" really loud just before you pull the trigger each time. This way people around you won't think you lost your mind.  :woot: :whistle: ;)2
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2007, 06:00 PM »
Don't know what kind of runners you have under it, but can you take a chain saw and cut the length of them just at the surface of the ice?
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline oldken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2007, 07:29 PM »
try making a hole under the runners large enough to put an old fashioned bumper jack under. two  if you can find them one on each side and jack it out i have done this  old ken

Offline ldebriyn8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 05, 2007, 08:44 PM »
good news i got it out i went out there with 5 guys and we just used ice bars but there was only about 1 inch of ice and under it was watere so it wasnt that bad just a few minor cracks in the wood but its on land so we are good to go thanks for all the ideas

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.