Author Topic: need lake trout info  (Read 1249 times)

Offline brewmeister

• IceShanty Rookie
  • farm boy
need lake trout info
« on: Feb 25, 2007, 01:28 PM »
Where is the best places to catch lakers,we have a lake near by that has 60-80' areas i was told to fish a ft off the bottom with medium shiners in the deep area ,then i was told to fish 5' down over 20-40' of water,then i was told not to use shiners but dead bait off the bottom,can someone help?I also wanted to know what size jig pole to use for them and what size line,I have used swedish pimples with dead shiners on the hook but what size spoon should i use and what color is best.Thanks for helping

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
Re: need lake trout info
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2007, 05:16 PM »
Do a little reasherch on the lake you are going to fish. Laker fishing can be different from one lake to the next depending on whats in as far as forage. The lakes I fish for them have smelt and the lakers pretty much follow them around under the ice, but they will take perch and other small panfish. I fish lakes in the ADKs for them and for the most part they can be caught in 5 - 20 fow sometimes with bait just under the ice sometimes half way to the bottom and sometimes right on the bottom. The one sure way to get them consistantly I believe is to jig for them, Sweedish pimples and Rapala jigs are on the top of the list for me, I use a 26 inch medium action rod with 10lb test for line, I keep my drag set so I can just pull line off the reel with my hand, this helps when bigger fish bite because lakers can snap you off in a hurry with their powerfull thrusts and runs. I find that weed beds in and around 10-15fow to be hot spots especialy if there is much deeper water nearby.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Itsallaboutcatchingem

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: need lake trout info
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2007, 05:24 PM »
Deadsmelt,

That was very nice of you.

Was just up in your neck of the woods this weekend.  Picked up 6 lakers, not the biggest, largest 23", but had a good time.  Wind was pretty bad yesterday, but this morning was very nice.

No, it's your turn!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.