Author Topic: How many use the "free" spare spools?  (Read 1828 times)

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
How many use the "free" spare spools?
« on: Dec 16, 2003, 06:59 AM »
Alot of times,they will include a "free" spare spool with a new reel and tell you it's a $6 value (or whatever amount). I haven't used a spare spool or even put line on one for at least 20 years. Keep the spool and charge me less. If I need heavier or lighter test,I just grab another rod/reel combo. just wondering how many of you guys and gals think it's a good thing when they offer you a free spool. Thanks.
Pete Lewis

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
Re:How many use the "free" spare spools?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2003, 07:09 AM »
Eyedoctor
I have to agree with you. I find it a waist and have quite a few setting on a shelf waiting their turn. I always end up putting a couple spools of line in my tackle bag anyways and if I need to change some old line I'll do it on the water. Maybe this is bass ackwards, but I know I got fresh line on the reel this way.
Cold Feet

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2003, 07:19 AM »
I used to always use them when I only had a couple rods.  Now I just grab a different rod if I want to change line weights/types.  They just sit in the bottom of the tackle box now.

A spare spool with a fly reel however is invaluable, especially for the stillwater fisherman...

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2003, 07:34 AM »
I don't remember ever using the "spare" spool. They are all in a box on the shelf outside.
FTD

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2003, 08:17 AM »
I never have either.  But I do have quite the collection in a drawer in the garage! ;D
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2003, 11:14 AM »
I always keep a spare spool handy, never know when a bigger fish is going to get ahold of that jig and make a run. and POP there goys some line and oops I don't have enough line left to my liking. Then wham I slap the spare spool on and I am back in business.
One more application is I have heavier line on another spool and if I start to fish in some stick ups or other cover I am ready again.

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2003, 11:53 AM »
yes i always have that spare spool ready to go too. But i've never used it yet. But i suppose when your younger and don't have 6 rods at hand a spare spool might come in handy
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2003, 11:55 AM »
Sometimes I wish I only had 6 rods at hand. When I fish out of my 23' cuddy, there are generally at least a dozen rods ready for use.
Pete Lewis

Offline nunzio

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love a day on the ice!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2003, 12:34 PM »
I always use my spare spools....... ya, I'm always the odd  one in the bunch ;D
On the ice, I strip off the used line from each trip, large fish or during a great bite. Don't like loosing fish due to a nick or pike rolling the line.
My light action rod I spool with 6lb and one 3lb...... I use the 6lb for walleye and sauger and the 3lb for perch and crappie..... I still carry 4 - 6 rods and use both spools for all. Some spools go unused for the season. Also it's no fun being out 8 miles on LOW and get a rig stripped
Works for me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.