Author Topic: Smelly Jelly !  (Read 1996 times)

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Smelly Jelly !
« on: Feb 22, 2007, 01:08 PM »
What's the general consensus on this stuff ?
Never used it before but I'm all for trying something new if it works !

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Smelly Jelly !
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2007, 01:10 PM »
Works good for getting spilled gas smells off your hands,i use it like hand lotion before i handle bait.

Offline 4Z ICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2007, 01:27 PM »
Have used this Smelly Jelly this year, seems to attract large Sunfish the most ,nada on the gills and the jury still out on perch. I've been using the Northland  spoon with the Smelly Jelly smeared all over it,  Shrimp and Crawdad formula.Warning a little on a jig is more then enough any more in a fish Shanty and you will be gasping for air.

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2007, 01:34 PM »
Works good for getting spilled gas smells off your hands,i use it like hand lotion before i handle bait.
;D and the secret is finally revealed  :P

Offline Creektroll3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2007, 01:35 PM »
Never used it on panfish but have used it on trout,salmon and steelhead. They love it !!!!! It should work on panfish.

2009 Iceshanty Tourney Leader for Crappie

Offline Longwooddrive

• IceShanty Rookie
  • From the gridiron to the ice
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2007, 04:40 PM »
The guys fishing the bass(smallmouth) circuit here in N.B. swear by the stuff.  Very hard to come by in these parts though. 
"Knowledge is power, Power is knowledge!"

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2007, 05:41 PM »
Used it on and off for about 5 years, seems to help, seen no evidence it hurts. Two of us tried a side by side test with perch. Used small piece of orange sponge, one coated one not. Holes about 10ft apart. Jigged about 30 min., switched rods and jigged another 30 min. The smelly jelly coated out caught the uncoated by a few. Tryed the same next weekend different lake with the orange, little action, switched to #3 rapalas, one coated. Again coated out did uncoated by a few. But this time the perch caught on the coated averaged noticeably larger. I tend to use it most often when the fishing is slow, grease the jig and a couple ft of line. Can't help but think it puts scent in the immediate area.

Offline hoggerinthebucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Perch, Perch, Perch is there anything better!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2007, 05:52 PM »
I am a Smelly Jelly freak! I won't fish unless I use some. I am a huge Lake Ontario guy for Salmon and Trout and I can say I would outfish most guys not using it. For Sm. Bass its a must. Walleyes etc. you get the drift. I have over 20 differnt scents and use them all.

If any one needs to find any Smelly Jelly they can call All Seasons Sport Shop in Pulaski NY 315-298-6433 or visit their web site they carry a good selection and will ship nationwide. Ask for Eric or Jimmy and tell them Big Rick sent ya.

Smelly Jelly is for real I use the panfish scent for Gills and Perch and Crappies. They have 50 plus scents even saltwater ones.
If anyone needs any more info just contact me as I have the company's info and phone number and I know the owner well.

Good fishing all Hogger out!
Rick
"There's nothing better than a FAT HOGGER on your ROD"

Offline happy perch fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2007, 06:40 PM »
Lol i going to go buy some now

Offline Irrgang131

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2007, 03:33 PM »
     Works great when your trolling for eyes in the Big E also pick up bass when I'm using it too.  Never tried it through the ice though.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2007, 05:13 PM »
Tigger,
The two types are the jelly and the liquid.  I like the "sticky liquid" form because it disperses in the water column better than the jelly.  The jelly gets pretty hard, (like frozen Vaseline), and isn't as fun to work with on the ice.  Either way!  Both are great choices!!!  It's a fantastic way to mask your smell, and attract fish.  I like the herring scent on FRESHWATER fish.  I used it successfully on everything from perch to sturgeon in the lower 48 and it's fantastic on lakers and pike up in the frozen north.  No secret this attractant has been used around the Pacific Northwest for years.  One last thing....  The sticky liquid will leave a small oil slick in your hole, it will coat your line a little that seems to help keep ice build up down...
TEAM ALASKA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.