The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Thanks for the Musky tips,  (Read 963 times)

Offline vonmoe

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks for the Musky tips,
« on: Feb 21, 2007, 09:27 PM »
I posted a while ago looking for tips on musky, and pike, got many, and used some of your ideas.
I used 2 tilts with dead smelly large shinners, in total I caught 3 muskies, 2 on dead smelly bait. Also caught a half dozen largemouth
I went to a pond I grew up near, Spy pond in Arlington. I had a blast, none of the regular crew wanted to go because it's located right off rt. 2 just about into Cambridge.
But what a trip, time well spent, I fish A-1 on a regular basis. Needed a break from the area.
I have been fishing ponds near 146 Northbridge area also, tons of good productive ponds scattered all over,  and I have been skunked only once this year, With these warms days coming, our season will be over too soon.
Thanks again for the musky and pike tips. 

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Thanks for the Musky tips,
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2007, 11:17 PM »
 ;D :o 3 muskies! you've proly already gotten more than most people in their lifetimes. any pictures on those guys and did they have any size to them?

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2007, 11:29 PM »
glad you got those muskies, and pike, they sure are fun to catch. How big were the skis?
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline vonmoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2007, 05:27 AM »
It took 2 days to catch the 3, One was 8 plus pounds, the other 2 where smaller,
If you have ever seen spy pond, it's not your average pond, it is totaly surounded by houses and rt. 2. It looks like it would be a waste of time to be honest, but if you google map then satellite view it, you will see why. There are 2 big holes and I sat at one, used the same holes both days. check out the mass wildlife map.   
not many people fish there, I saw 3 people fishing there when I was there. well worth the trip, they have been putting musky in for decades, so the state wildlife says.
I took pictures on a throw away 35m. not digital. 

Offline bumps

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2007, 07:01 AM »
I don't want to know exact locations, but I used to fish Spy alot and have heard stories of muskies coming out of there but never saw one first hand.  Congrats!  I fished there once this year a few weeks ago and it was really slow.  I was at the end of pond street.  It seems like after they killed off the weeds a few years ago the fishing went south!  I would love to see some pics of those toothy critters if you can post them some how!  Good luck!

Offline vonmoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2007, 08:01 AM »
I was wondering why they were not huge, was unaware of the weed kill they dumped in.
I fished behind the Boy’s club; it was around 30 feet deep where I set up. I purchased one of those depth sonar’s, works really good cost me 80 bucks at Kittery.  If you go to the mass site and look at the map with depths, I was on the North end of the pond.

Offline bumps

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2007, 08:07 AM »
No kidding!  Thats great, I never really fished that side of the island during the ice season.  Might have to try it next time.  I know it gets pretty deep over there.  How thick was the ice? 

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2007, 08:15 AM »
i was there on wednesday morning.....ice was 11" thick with 2" of frozen slush on top.   :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.