The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: stocked trout?  (Read 976 times)

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
stocked trout?
« on: Feb 19, 2007, 07:19 PM »
i have never targeted stocked trout thru the ice im might tomro any info would be awsome everything from leaders to bait depth and bottom type everything lol thanks

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: stocked trout?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2007, 09:42 PM »
4 flouro no weight fish shallow 1-5 feet with eggs or powerbait on a small hook I place a very tiny shot against the powerbait to get it down. Fish the eggs on the bottom over sand the powerbait i like suspended about 8 inches up from the bottom. It can lead to an awfull slow day waiting for them its not like nailing crappie alday but it is rewarding to pull a bow out of that hole.

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2007, 10:02 PM »
thanks alot i have the exact spot like the size of a football feild of sandy bottom that is about 1 to 6 feet i probably will set 2-3 traps for trout and the rest out in deeper water for bass pickerel or whatever will take the bait thanks again

Offline suckerbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2007, 06:02 AM »
I have been doing well with rainbows this season with small shiners along the edge of weedbeds in 8 to 12 feet of water. Not typical for rainbows, but that is where I am finding them. I use very small shiners with 4 pound fluorocarbon. Try molding powerbait around the split shot above the shiner. The scent and color will attract them and they will hit the shiner. Trust me the powerbait trick works. I also feel the powerbait helps with brood stock salmon also.

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2007, 06:40 AM »
thats a good idea and there is broodstock in the place im going to so that would be awsome to finally get one of those!!!

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2007, 04:33 PM »
friend took a rainbow in 5 feet of water, over weeds on a medium shiner

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.