Author Topic: Will we have Safe Ice this coming weekend ?????  (Read 2255 times)

Offline jhc

• Team IceShanty Regular
Will we have Safe Ice this coming weekend ?????
« on: Feb 19, 2007, 12:36 PM »

Gentlemen,will we have safe ice for the upcoming weekend ????
                    Any Thoughts ????    jhc

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Will we have Safe Ice this coming weekend ?????
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2007, 12:54 PM »
Definate YES , the warm temps and possible rain will jusy knock down the snow, dont think it'll do much to the ice yet, specially since there is 10 inches or more of ice now

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2007, 12:57 PM »
i hope you are right, im not done hardwater fishin yet

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2007, 01:37 PM »
Shouldnt affect it at all.  Like Turkey said it will knock down the snow!!!!! 

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2007, 02:00 PM »
i am thinking safe ice for two more weekends. i plan to continue driving my 4-wheeler on the ice thru next weekend. Looks like nighttime temps still below freezing. Unless we get rain or temps in the 50's should take a few weeks to remove the ice.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2007, 02:14 PM »
                                             YEP!!!
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline jhc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2007, 01:35 AM »

Sounds good guys,Thanks for positive comments........
                                                      jhc

Offline bowbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2007, 10:33 AM »
i sure hope so i bet we lose an inch a day if wheather stays in the high 40s!! >:(

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On Ice sure is Nice!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2007, 11:16 AM »
Just be careful coming on and off the ice.  I think the ice will hold, but the edges are going to get soft from all the run off and the earth warming.  I have had many a day were getting on the ice was fine, but getting off the ice in the late afternoon proved to be a challenge.
Carp

Offline bencrawf

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Stop complaining and jig it!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2007, 01:31 PM »
I am new to this wonderfull sport, and i have a hurdle to conqueer everytime i go out cause i am 17, and my mom is terrified of the ice falling through i brought her out wen there was 8 or so inches on the water one time and she still has her doubts.  What do i do to convince here summitt is still ok when the snow and ice around my house is melting?  I dont know why she worrys since she lets me bullride.  Anyway any thoughts of how to convince her?

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2007, 01:50 PM »
let her drill a hole with a dull auger!!!
Paul

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2007, 02:06 PM »
I couldn't agree more about letting her drill a hole with a dull auger. She might feel better if you carry a set of "picks" in case you do fall thru, you can pretty readily get back out.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2007, 06:09 PM »
Put her on top of ice out gills.....she will volunteer to carry the life jackets after that!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2007, 06:14 PM »
Carry some picks with you is a great idea! Easy to make and can save your life. Also, I now carrry my cell phone in a small plastic zip bag and keep it in easy reach. My wife knows where I am going and what to do if she gets a call - she is on speed-dial - and who to call. Don't deviate from where you said you were going unless you inform your emergency call person. This should make your mom a little happier. Fishing with a friend is good too - or at least fish where others are fishing also. Safety in numbers. Carry a 50 ft rope in your bucket in case someone else needs help. (Some of these I do early and late in the season and not when there is solid ice.) Be careful in the rain this weekend. If anything will melt the ice quick it is rain. Flatcoat

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2007, 06:23 PM »
On a serious note....My Mom spent over 5 minutes in the water after falling through the ice while trying to save her dog. She is very skittish about me ice fishing regardless of the thickness of the ice. I can tell you this for advice....You are young, do what makes your mom happy. You have only one mother. When you get to be about 30 and can't live without ice fishing, I suggest you lie. It may be a sin....but it beats making your mother suffer.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2007, 07:13 AM »
On a serious note....My Mom spent over 5 minutes in the water after falling through the ice while trying to save her dog. She is very skittish about me ice fishing regardless of the thickness of the ice. I can tell you this for advice....You are young, do what makes your mom happy. You have only one mother. When you get to be about 30 and can't live without ice fishing, I suggest you lie. It may be a sin....but it beats making your mother suffer.

words of wisdom wiseman ;D

Offline EGR David

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2007, 07:21 AM »
Wearing a life jacket is a great idea, and fishing with someone is always smart.  I tell my wife that the foot of ice didn't form overnight, it's not going to melt over night.  Saw a lot of local lakes with melted snow in the afternoon and crusty cover in the morning.  Ice is still good.

Offline bowbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2007, 09:16 AM »
 have mother drill a hole with  dull blades  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
  that is funny but mean  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
   that poor mother!!!!
     just use all the safety percautions  and let her know what extra safety percautions you are  taking !!
   it may help if you find someone to go out fishing with this may ease up the worring for your mother that someone is with you!! you may want to also tell her that theres alot of guys on the ice  that would help if in need !! as long as we dont  a fish on ::)!! :roflmao: :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.