The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Chumming for perch  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Bgreen02

• Team IceShanty Regular
Chumming for perch
« on: Feb 14, 2007, 12:54 PM »
I heard that by pouring chicken noodle soup broth into your hole it will attract the perch and is good fro drawing smelt also. Anyone ever tried this? I am going to give it a try this weekend on Kensington lake.

Team M.I.R.C Rock bass. It's whats for dinner.

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Chumming for perch
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2007, 04:52 PM »
i have heard pouring corn or oatmeal down the hole but never chicken broth, thats a good idea
Another crappie.........yay!

Offline jimfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Set The HOOK!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2007, 04:57 PM »
on slow days we bet who's corn kernel will hit the bottom first. Much fun, almost as much as watching paint dry in July.

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2007, 05:00 PM »
when you drop corn and a fish happens to eat your corn does that make it not bite your wax worm or spike?
Another crappie.........yay!

Offline Bgreen02

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2007, 09:27 PM »
It seems when the fish are hungry they will eat constantly. On Saturday me and my buddy were fishing in my shanty and i had a hit and missed the fish and pulled up my line to find it stole my minnow and as i cursed grabbing a new one as my buddy brought in a fish with a minnow hanging out of its mouth as well as the one on his tear drop. If they are hungry they will eat your bait to.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2007, 10:32 PM »
Tried it in the past and consider it a waste of time. Punch holes and find them works better. If you want to attract them bounce baits off the bottom or show some flash. They tend to be curious critters when even mildly active, if you decide to simply sit someplace. Corn is dangerous for the fish, if it's swallowed it can block their digestive system and eventually kill them. Oatmeal etc. will screw up a flasher signal for a long, long time and didn't seem to help at all.

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2007, 08:52 AM »
...plus as you reel in your line it becomes coated with whatever you poured in. Makes a nice mess on your spool that will freeze.
FTD

walleyechaser

« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2007, 10:28 AM »
isn't chumming illegal in Michigan?

corn works for trout but I've never heard of it working for anything else.
Maybe carp.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2007, 10:39 AM »
Recipe;

one small onion sack
1/2 loaf bread
2c oatmeal
1can creamed corn
one rock for weight
1-3 small bluegills crushed under foot.

Place in sack, tie off, add length of cord.
Lower into ice hole at desired depth or just above, and give a yank now and then.

Even in winter this will draw all sorts of fish. Last year I hit 3 or 4 Bullheads and won a bet with a guy that said I could not catch one. I deployed the chum bag we were discussing when the bet arose....and waaalaaa. The pannies came a swimming.

If you use the onion sack in the summer, place a raw chicken in it, then hang it under a raft, or from a low hanging branch over and above a river hole. The bag will be covered in maggots within days.
Use wax worms around the feed bag.
WC, this would work well at  your place in the log infested river. You could draw the Trout out to an area of preference maybe, then slay them with waxies.

flockshot

« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2007, 10:47 AM »
an easier method of drawing trout out from under cuts is to actually stand in the river a few hundred feet up river...have some walk across the river dragging there feet....when the water starts to clear a little the trout will be out to take advantage of the nymphs floating down...hammer them then.

i have heard of chumming for numerous species but never for perch..we use the scales off of ciscoes when we catch one..scrape of the scales and let them flutter down the hole... schools will usually come right back.

Offline Bgreen02

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2007, 11:09 AM »
Recipe;

one small onion sack
1/2 loaf bread
2c oatmeal
1can creamed corn
one rock for weight
1-3 small bluegills crushed under foot.

Place in sack, tie off, add length of cord.
Lower into ice hole at desired depth or just above, and give a yank now and then.

Even in winter this will draw all sorts of fish. Last year I hit 3 or 4 Bullheads and won a bet with a guy that said I could not catch one. I deployed the chum bag we were discussing when the bet arose....and waaalaaa. The pannies came a swimming.

If you use the onion sack in the summer, place a raw chicken in it, then hang it under a raft, or from a low hanging branch over and above a river hole. The bag will be covered in maggots within days.
Use wax worms around the feed bag.
WC, this would work well at  your place in the log infested river. You could draw the Trout out to an area of preference maybe, then slay them with waxies.

What lake did you try using this on? I am curious enough that I will try it this weekend instead of the soup broth.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2007, 11:19 AM »
Bgreen2,
The last lake was about twenty miles west of your home. But I have dine this in many local lakes in Southern MI, and a number of rivers. It will work and give you confidence. Let me know how it works.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.