New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: bad weather = good fishing  (Read 1642 times)

Offline flukehit

• IceShanty Rookie
bad weather = good fishing
« on: Feb 13, 2007, 12:41 PM »
I usually stay home when the weather is bad, but on Friday
I decided to take a half day and go fishing.
While sitting in my car, tying on a new Hali before heading out,
the wind was rocking my car back and forth.
I thought to myself "what the heck am I doing here."
Oh well, I'm already here, might as well give it a try.
So I went out to my honey hole and drilled a few holes
and started jigging. Not a single person on the lake.
Wow, the action was unbelievable. non-stop industrial crappies
and a few monster perch.
The wind was blowing so hard I had a tough time staying in one spot.
Didn't keep any fish, the Perch looked fat with eggs and since I don't catch many
of them I decided to throw them back. My guess is that the wind had something to do
with the good fishing that day. From now on I will fish on a windy day.
Anyone else notice a difference fishing when its windy?
And by the way, I went back on Saturday and the honey hole was taken.
Looked like the perch I threw back yesterday were on the ice. Oh well, I tried.

Offline NiagaraJiggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Rods Bent !!
Re: bad weather = good fishing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2007, 12:45 PM »
Well....sometimes you hit it and sometimes you don't. I was out and about all over the Niagara River area during the windy weekend and had no luck at all. A lot of dinks but no keeper sizes. Coulda made a sandwich with all the swiss cheese I made outta the ice. Folks coming and going from spots were having no luck as well. Guess we'll give it another go this weekend.
Keep Your Rods Bent !!
~NiagaraJiggin~
Master Forest Owner Volunteer
NYFOA Member
Creator of the Swoongie Fishing System

Offline Cook078

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good Fishing
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2007, 01:16 PM »

Well it just goes to show that the wind bothers us fishermen alot more than it bothers the fish!!  I personally have not had very good luck in the high-winds, but then again I don't go as much in the wind!!
have a CRAPPIE day!!

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2007, 02:19 PM »
The fish aren't bothered by the wind...They're underneath the ice!  :D No, actually, I've found that fishing in high winds can be awesome...A lot of times high winds are associated with pre-frontal conditions...this is when a lot of fish put on the feed bag!!  :)

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2007, 03:52 PM »
I am going to try and get out on the Mighty Sacandaga tonite. I have had good luck before the big storms :)

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2007, 04:39 PM »
I can say that it has happened before, I was fishing on a local lake with Tinker and the bite was so so , After a couple hours it started to snow and blow ,  the flags started going off and the flashers lit up and we pulled up crappies ,perch even a walleye non-stop until it was dark. We had a riot.   The next day we went back to that same spot [ with high hopes] and couldn't buy a bite. The next day was a blue bird day but with over a foot of new snow.   This happened twice on the same lake different years.    Another time I took my girl friend with me to the n. end of Silver[ her first time ice fishing ] and the wind was blowing my hut around with both of us in it.
Once I got it anchored down we caught crappies and gills hand over fist on every thing you put down the hole.
   Quite a first time out for someone she loved it.   That day there was no one one the north end but us.
  So I believe there is something to it [ barometric pressure changes]I'll bet...
                                                                                               Wiz
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline kirkwooders

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Websters definition of a northern red neck.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2007, 07:33 PM »
I always seem to do a little better just before a cold front moves through, and after it passes it seems to take a couple of days for the fish to return to a normal feeding pattern.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid!"

Offline bigfish_1556

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2007, 07:56 PM »
I've had some killer experiences on Oneida Lake during whiteout conditions............ just lucky I was oriented in the right direction and didn't end up traveling from Constantia to Cicero with buckets of perch.....
"A man is only as big as that which makes him angry" -Adlai Stevenson

Offline HomerJay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2007, 08:17 PM »
I love bad weather.  The nicer the day the more beer you have to bring (b/c of the lack of flags). I hate nice days, never have good luck. 

Offline crappie78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2007, 08:23 PM »
I love fishing Honeoye on days that are like a blizzard.  It is usually one of the best days I have icefishing the entire year.  However you go back the next day and it seems as if there are no fish in the lake.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2007, 05:27 AM »
Fished Sacandaga Rez for about 3 hours last night with Caroga Kid
I managed 1 16" walleye and a mudpuppy of about the same length.
Boy was it cold and windy out there. Def. not the best day on the DeadSea.
But it could have been worse.. could have been skunked or not went fishing at all.

Guess I need to do more research on fishing in a storm :P TIme to go fishing again :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.