New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Onondaga Lake  (Read 800 times)

Offline tigerwoodsmuskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Onondaga Lake
« on: Feb 13, 2007, 09:47 AM »
Has anyone ever icefished Onondaga Lake? I'm sure the three eyed fish and you don't need ice to fish it on top stories will come, but from recent articles I've seen the fish population is making quite a comeback, and after reading the same old posts and reports for a couple weeks now, I thought this might be interesting.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
Re: Onondaga Lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2007, 10:37 AM »
I've heard that Onondaga doesn't freeze well enough to be fishable.  If I remember correctly, someone tried to drive a truck out there last year (I believe it was last year anyway) but broke through and ended up stuck in the sludge on the bottom of the lake.  I don't think it's worth taking a chance to fish that cess pool through the ice.  ::) :-\

-Zach

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2007, 10:39 AM »
It's a shame its so polluted. I drove by the lake Monday and imagined it dotted it with icefishermen. I'm surprised that nobody really tries it more often. I know there is walleyes, and I've cought perch there. It would be catch and release but for the dedicated fisherman it would be a rewarding venture. You have a hotspot that you don't get run down by snowmobiles !

I've studied the lake a bit, and I would place the area in front of Nine mile creek as the first place I would try and then go from there.

Retired , but still recovering ice fishing addict.

Offline mcboats81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2007, 12:00 PM »
Superfund site or not the BASS tournament that was here last year is coming back this year.  It will be a 4 day format I believe with the final two days fished out of Onondaga.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.