Author Topic: Who Fished Erie Lately ? Results...  (Read 6119 times)

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
Who Fished Erie Lately ? Results...
« on: Feb 12, 2007, 08:20 AM »
Seen a few posts where guys said they were heading out to Erie. How did you do? Where did you go? Ice conditions? Anything! Been chomping at the bit to go but want to take time off work at the right time.THANKS!
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline wojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Who Fished Erie Lately ? Results...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2007, 10:40 AM »
Hey Blade
Went out of Catawba State park Saturday about a 1 to 1 1/2 miles out. Heard some guys out 3 ?  We ended up with 19 four guys fishing. Ice good thickness 7 " - 10 " very. very rough. And there are some cracks that keeping opening up depending on what the wind does. Hot bait seemed to be Silver pimples !  Hope this helps ?

Offline dropshot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2007, 02:10 PM »
better go now have you seen the extended forcast.
where guys are going out = fish (for the most part)
be careful!!!!!! :o
I WANT ICE !!!!!

Offline hotshoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2007, 08:20 PM »
Seen a few posts where guys said they were heading out to Erie. How did you do? Where did you go? Ice conditions? Anything! Been chomping at the bit to go but want to take time off work at the right time.THANKS!
Bladebait we went out of Crane Creek Sat about 7 miles. You have a major opening about 100 yards offshore that was open about 3 to 4 feet.  You needed a plank but the fishing was awesome.  We caught 16 but it was alittle hairy.  Sun we went out of Cataba about 1.5 to 2 miles NW.  It was really rough for the first half mile because of the shove but it was getting beat down better as the day went on.  We got 9 in 2 hours but a loud crack sent us back to cross the 911 crack that opened up about 3 to 4 feet.  I guess later it closed back up but the wind was out of the sw so we didnt take any chances.  It was a ball.  Fish were really aggressive.  Pretty much if the showed on the vex you caught um.  Nice fish too from 2 to 8 pounds.  Great ice 10 to 12 in.  Hot bait was a clown jiggn shad and a chrome and green pimple loaded with minnows.  Good luck take planks and be safe, hope this helps.   Hotshoe

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2007, 08:55 PM »
Thank's all for the info.Hope that others will continue to post as days move on.Will try to be up there somewhere this weekend if the weather didn't screw things up.Have been working with my buddy to repair a piece of Kevlar on the bottom of his airboat.Would rather take the wheeler because of convenience but with the cracks you know how that goes.Sounds as if the fish are hitting about everywhere which is great.Just last month you would have thought that we wouldn't have a chance to fish Erie this year thus is why we waited to repair the airboat.Hope you all continue to catch em'!

Offline Yogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2007, 07:39 AM »
We went out of Catawba Sunday also.  The same thing everybody else said.  The first half mile or so is rougher then hell.  It was better going in.  You have to be careful on the pressure crack but we got across it both times without planks.  We rode out about 4.10 miles.  I guess you didnt have to go out that far but we did and got our limit by 1130.  We should have had it sooner but oh well.  It was fun.  My uncle drug me up there first time I ever fished that lake now I am hooked.  Hope to get out this weekend but who knows.  Our hottest color was a fire tiger easy prey spoon.  I also caught 2 on a orange sweedish pimple. Ice was about 8 inches out where we were.

Yogi

Offline tmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2007, 06:25 AM »
was out yesterday, thursday the 15th, and the ice was good. crack was closed and solid. lots of snow. tough getting around. bite was hot at times for short periods then slow for a few couple hours then a good bite for an hour or so from 3:30 to 4:30. was on 12 inches ice. will be running everyday now , weather permitting. will post reports.

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2007, 07:04 AM »
was out yesterday, thursday the 15th, and the ice was good. crack was closed and solid. lots of snow. tough getting around. bite was hot at times for short periods then slow for a few couple hours then a good bite for an hour or so from 3:30 to 4:30. was on 12 inches ice. will be running everyday now , weather permitting. will post reports.

You posted about the exact thing I saw outthere.  I'm headed out agian this afternoon.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2007, 07:35 AM »
Captmike and Swantucky - Go get em' boy's. Just leave a few for this weekend because I should be there too! If you have a chance post results. Good Luck!

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2007, 11:04 PM »
Just returned from Erie tonight.Fished out of Catawba state park. Did well and limited out each day. Fish ranging between 18-22 inches. :)

Offline lund

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2007, 06:22 AM »
SHOW SOME PICTURES GUYS.  ;)

Offline Fishin2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2007, 06:48 PM »
Here's a pic from Saturday out of Catawba, :o
Beautiful day on the lake. Sounds like it might change fast.  Mike

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2007, 07:04 PM »
I could not go today but I talked to a buddy who did and he said for the most part things were o.k.  He did say  he hit a slush pocket on the way in that almost came up to his headlight.  Things are going deteriorate quick with the warm temps in the forecast.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline lund

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2007, 06:48 AM »
Good morning guys. Have any of yous been perch fishing, or any reports. Thinking about comming that way this Saturday. THANKS FOR THE PICTURES  ;D

Offline 024gord

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2007, 10:56 PM »
will be coming down this .what type of lures should we bring?? ( jiggings rapalas-size and color )sounds like some are catching them aaalso on swedish pimples . what size do they use ???? any color better then another??? any info. would be greatly appreciated
glowgetter

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2007, 07:30 AM »
Small silver and black and silver and blue jigging Rapalas.  Medium pimples in copper and silver with the green prism tape.

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2007, 08:08 AM »
Have been doing well with the small size 3- 5 jigging Rapala right on the bottom. I replace the small treble hook with a larger #8 laser sharp eagle claw treble hook. Tip it with 2-3 shiners. The key is to keep it inches from the bottom! I caught numerous fish without even marking them on the Vex in the zoom mode! Color did not matter for me. Bottom line is if you locate the fish they will hit just about anything when they are in the "feed mode". The current can be strong at times so make sure you have some heavy lures(1/4-3/8oz) to make it to the bottom. Caught fish on little cleo's,pimples,kastmasters,rapalas,and vibe's.Any lure tipped with shiners next to the bottom=fish!  ;)

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:22 PM »
My buddy was out in the airboat today out of Catawba. High winds made it tough fishing. Did catch 8 walleyes by noon with 3 guys.Current was strong.Ice still in good condition but the cracks are going to start to open with these high winds so be careful with the wheelers!Will try to fish Crane Creek this weekend in the airboat.Know some people who have  been catching some real "hawgs" on that end of the lake.

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2007, 09:18 PM »
fished out of crane creek today (sat). best day i ever had! was slow in the morning, got 2, then found the honey hole. limited out, then caught / released a dozen more. no hawgs, but good eaters,17- 22 inchers.

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2007, 09:29 AM »
fished out of crane creek today (sat). best day i ever had! was slow in the morning, got 2, then found the honey hole. limited out, then caught / released a dozen more. no hawgs, but good eaters,17- 22 inchers.

Same thing here blue mule but we were on the honey hole from the get go. Five man limit in about 50 minutes!FISHING WAS PHENOMENAL! :clap: :clap: ;D

Offline hotshoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2007, 12:23 PM »

Same thing here blue mule but we were on the honey hole from the get go. Five man limit in about 50 minutes!FISHING WAS PHENOMENAL! :clap: :clap: ;D
:clap: :thumbsup:Us too it was better than awesome.  If I wouldnt have lost a 10 and 5 at the hole I would have had my limit in 15 minutes.  Three of us fished for an hour and a half got our 18 then left.  Probably could have had 30 to 40 a guy if we would have stayed all day.  Started at 9 left at 10:30.  Probably should have stayed and played because this might be it with the forcast not looking to good.  The ice was awesome the travel out was easy and the fishing was second to none.  The Ice Fishing Gods were smiling on us and it seems everyone else also.  Be safe.

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2007, 04:11 PM »
Fishing was so good that I can't wait for the weekend! :o Plan on being there Tues and Wed. If anybody goes out of Crane Creek the next few days please post ice conditions. We had that wet nasty East wind front come through and don't know what it did to the ice. ???

Offline 024gord

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2007, 08:23 PM »
:clap: :thumbsup:Us too it was better than awesome.  If I wouldnt have lost a 10 and 5 at the hole I would have had my limit in 15 minutes.  Three of us fished for an hour and a half got our 18 then left.  Probably could have had 30 to 40 a guy if we would have stayed all day.  Started at 9 left at 10:30.  Probably should have stayed and played because this might be it with the forcast not looking to good.  The ice was awesome the travel out was easy and the fishing was second to none.  The Ice Fishing Gods were smiling on us and it seems everyone else also.  Be safe.
who did you fish with we fished with captain brad on sat. and had a excellent day.best walleye day on the ice ever for me . where did you fish at ?
glowgetter

Offline hotshoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2007, 06:49 PM »
who did you fish with we fished with captain brad on sat. and had a excellent day.best walleye day on the ice ever for me . where did you fish at ?
Fished with my buddies Big Papa Scott and Brian Thomas. Crane Creek about 4 miles straight out.  Northland buckshot spoons three quarter oz and jiggn shad rap and jiggn raps.  Pure but kickn.  Am going again tomorrow Tues same bat place same bat hole.

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 01, 2007, 12:52 PM »
Fished Crane Creek Tues and Wed with limit each day. Caught some larger fish here as compared to Catawba. Largest was 28in. and about 10 lb. and a few 25 inchers. Fishing for us was "spurty". Fish would turn on about an hour and cool off an hour. Can't say we murdered them but we did catch our fish. Did our best 6 mi. to the Northeast towards West Sister island. Figured they were getting them out past the main group because a handfull of people would just pass everyone and head out to this area. Made the move also and it proved to be worth it.

The weather was great. Ice was solid 12-16 inches but water was starting to accumulate in some of the areas around the cracks. Looks as if things will be coming to a halt with the rain and wind unless your in a airboat.

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 06, 2007, 04:27 PM »
Talked to some buddies who fished out of the airboats this weekend. Lots of open water! Bite was good Sat and poor Sun. Went out of Catawba. Looks as if it is time for the boating season 8)

Offline rustyhook36

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Mar 11, 2007, 10:20 PM »
fished wed. thur., and fri. at put in bay. fished west of rattlesnake island. fishing was great with limits every day. lots of throw backs also. ice was 11 in. thick. this has been the best year on the ice. i have caught well over 100 walleyes myself this year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.