New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: trout in hemlock  (Read 799 times)

Offline epolitza

• IceShanty Rookie
  • With ice please!
trout in hemlock
« on: Feb 11, 2007, 09:51 PM »
 ??? Can anyone provide me with any info on where the trout are sitting on hemlock, how deep and what would be best to catch them.  Any help would be appreciated.  Or maybe the best way to nail a brown in any of the fingerlakes.

Stumped Ice Man
" I love her... but I love to fish..."

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
Re: trout in hemlock
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2007, 01:01 AM »
IF your looking for a brown, Hemlock or Canadice are your best bets.  MOst guys access the lakes at either the north end boat launches or the south ends.  If you go off the south end of either, you might have to walk up the lake a little to acces a bit deeper water.  I have found that browns will tend to cruise higher in the water column than say a laker.  This goes for rainbows and landlocks as well.  Sometimes they can be found as shallow as 5-6 ft. of water and sometimes they will be over 50-60' but only 10' or so down.  I usually fish them with tip-ups using a 3' leader of 8-10 lb. test monofiliment but better yet use flourocarbon if you can.  I usually connect my leader to my braided ice line with a barrel swivel and use a size # 8 treble hook.  I use a bass sized shiner and just a split shot for weight if any.  The more weight you use the more likely a trout will drop the bait in my opinion.  I don't use any weight most of the time, just the barrel swivel.  While I have never gotten into them, guys do often get smelt jigging with mousies or small jigs in both lakes.  If you can get into them, use these for bait!  The trout will hit these before any shiner you present them I'm told.  I will drill a line of holes for my tip-ups starting in about 10' of water and work my way out to cover different depths.  I will then set my baits only a couple feet below the surface in shallow, to about 10' down when I'm out over deeper water.  I'll sometimes send my deepest tip-up down a few feet off the bottom for lakers if i feel like it.  Then you will need a bit a weight, but I never use more than a couple large split shot or a 1/4 ounce slip sinker.

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

Offline epolitza

• IceShanty Rookie
  • With ice please!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2007, 09:54 PM »
 ;)
Thanks for the help gumpy

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2007, 04:02 AM »
The North end of Hemlock is still open water.  Like Gumpy2, we set up about the same.  We scatter tip ups all over in different depths.  Try a tip up or 2 - 3 feet under the ice in the main lake.  Your chances of getting a nice landlocked salmon is good.  We have caught landlocks up to 29" there.  We usually hike up the lake from the South end about 2 miles.  If you find the deepest water in the lake you usually find more lakers. 

Offline epolitza

• IceShanty Rookie
  • With ice please!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2007, 01:42 PM »
I am thinking about going out there this weekend and enjoying a beautiful winter day.  This is one of the most beautiful lakes in NYS.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.