The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: New to this site!!  (Read 6110 times)

Offline duckhunter125

• IceShanty Rookie
New to this site!!
« on: Feb 08, 2007, 12:27 PM »
Hey guys,
I just found this site last night, what a great place to be.  I live up in the NE part of the state and we fish all of the lakes around here.  So if you all have any questions about any of them I will sure try to answer as many as i can.  As for my fishing report, I have only fished a few times in the past two weeks.  I have spent time on white lake which is NE of Britton and picked up a few nice crappie and some perch.  We have been fishing Roy but it is slow up there too.  Earlier in the year we fished Stink Slough and did really well on the perch.  We fished a little lake north of roy and pulled out a 19" smallie what a fight that was.  We tried Cattial/Kettle, Nine Mile, and Six Mile but all of them are slow.  These are all small lakes aroumd the area but they all hold good perch, pike and eyes.  Well once again this is a great site and I can't wait to be a bigger part of it.  :tipup:
Team Haviner Outdoors

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They just call me Major.
Re: New to this site!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2007, 11:44 AM »
You live in a great area for fishing.  We tried Enemy Swim and Reetz this weekend with very little luck.  Try the forum on dakotaangler.com, it's from SF and focuses mainly on eastern SD fishing. 

By no means am I implying that you should cut back on the posts here.   :)  You could just become like a few others on here and have a whole folder in your favorites list with just fishing forums   ;)  I know I am on about 3 or 4, maybe that's why I'm not getting any work done right now.  :D

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2007, 11:46 AM »
Welcome, and Happy Hookin!
Stay on the dry side of the ice.

Offline sdhusker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2007, 02:09 PM »
Good to have someone aboard who fishes the NE part of the lake.  I fish Waubay, Cattail, and a lot of the water in between, but seldom do I get further north to some of the lakes you mentioned.  Does Roy ever have a really good walleye bite?  I know guys pull some real trophy smallies out of there and occasionally you hear of big eye, but it doesn't seem like you ever hear much about guys getting their limit of eaters. 

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2007, 02:10 PM »
welcome to ice shanty!!

Offline sdstroker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2007, 08:49 AM »
Welcome aboard.  I too fish some quite a bit up north on some of the lakes you mentioned.  I have done pretty well on waubay and cattail-kettle this year.  I have alos hit Lardy pretty hard without success.  One of these days I will connect though.  I hope some of the clowns on the "other" site don't ruin this site like they have tried to destroy the other!  GIT'R'DONE ;) :cookoo:

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2007, 10:08 AM »
Welcome newbies,keep in mind that the mods of THIS site actually pay attention. ;D

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2007, 10:34 AM »
Welcome to the site. You will enjoy it. Lost of good people and information once you sift the BS out of it.  :woot: >:D ;)2 I didn't say I wasn't guilty!!!! ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline sdhusker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2007, 12:27 PM »
I have alos hit Lardy pretty hard without success.  One of these days I will connect though. 

Stroker - where is Lardy?  I have heard about this slough on a number of occasions, but I don't have any idea where it is.  Is this the one that is off of the oil road that goes from Roslyn up to Cattail, just about a mile north of Roslyn on the east side of the road (well before Hauge or Opitz)?  I have seen guys fishing that one this year.  I have fished Wagner Slough and another slough south of Wagner, but I don't know the name of that one either.  Probably not worth discussing, since most of these places haven't put out anything spectacular. 

Offline sdstroker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2007, 08:29 PM »
Lardy is just east of 25 before you get to the curve heading into Roslyn.  It is the WPA area.  It is quite large and the day I hit it, I fished all over.  Graphed tons of fish and caught perch and walleyes all day. Never did catch ones I could keep though.  GFP checked me that day and said their were nice ones in there but they were hard to come by d/t the forage.  Alot of the holes I drilled had fresh water shrimp or baby minnows swimming in the hole.  I think the fish had a regular buffet going on and laughed at my measly offering.  Where is wagner??  I think it is just north of Lardy but not quite sure.  Their are so many lakes/sloughs up there with no names, a guy just has to stop and fish them to find out.

Offline sdhusker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2007, 08:19 AM »
OK, then I must have been basically across the road from Lardy on another slough earlier this year.  I think it is also a GPA, but I'm not sure on that.  This one is just west of 25 and is visible from the highway (but the access is a one lane road on the west side).  A few good perch to be had, but by and large the fish were on the smaller side. 

Wagner is north of the junction between the Ft. Sisseton Road/Pierpont Road/25 about 1 mile, and then 1 mile west on a gravel road.  Pretty close in proximity.  That's another one where you could catch 60 and keep 5.   

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2007, 11:06 AM »
Thanks guys. I get up in that area quite a bit in the winter and I hear people talking about Hauge, Opits,, Lardy and all these places and I have never known how to get to them. I wish you guys that know would type up a small guide for guys like me that would like to try them. I hit Waubay, Pickerel, Lynn, Cattail and places like that, but haven't known how to get to these others and haven't wanted to end up trespassing on private land.

Offline sdstroker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2007, 01:28 PM »
I'm sorry sdhusker.  My brain thinks backward sometimes.  I meant west of h/w25.  You were on lardy.  I came in from the west also.  I think lardy is basically an extension of goose lake if you  go by maps and google earth.

Offline duckhunter125

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2007, 07:49 PM »
Wow I never make it that far south, I think this sunday we will be heading down to Lardy, is that also know as "Hazelden"?  I had a old boy tell me that he caught quite a few nice eyes, a coulpe of tagged ones.  I also heard that in the fall they were finding 16" perch out there.  As far as I can tell by the maps I have it is 2 miles east of Roslyn and a mile north, on the west side of the road. 
Team Haviner Outdoors

Offline sdstroker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2007, 08:16 PM »
That wuld be hazelton.  Lardy is south of that off of 25.  By the way the bird flys is is 1/2 mile west and 1/2 mile south of the roslyn curve.

Offline duckhunter125

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2007, 09:18 PM »
Sdstroker, Have you heard of anything coming out of Hazelden?
Team Haviner Outdoors

Offline duckhunter125

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2007, 09:24 PM »
Also are you driving on Lardy and could you drive on Hazel?  Or is it just 4-wheeler?
Team Haviner Outdoors

Offline sdstroker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2007, 10:44 PM »
Hazelton is hit and miss. Hero one day and zero the next.  You could take a one ton truck anywhere you want on any of them.  Last time I was up there it was 24" of ice.

Offline cognito

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2007, 04:03 PM »
Wheres the fishys biting stroker? ;)

Offline sdstroker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2007, 01:53 PM »
Sorry newbie's not allowed to ask such personal questions right away...lol...

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #20 on: Feb 18, 2007, 04:39 PM »
Sorry newbie's not allowed to ask such personal questions right away...lol...

Stroker, am I seeing some gray hair??lol I must be dead then.  :woot: >:D

Offline duckhunter125

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2007, 01:01 PM »
Sdstroker, Are there and hot points or rock beds on either of these two.  I have wed. off and it is supposed to be 40 outside.  If you got any hints or tips on the lake lets me know.  I fished roy on sun. couldn't keep the little perch off the line, we were back in optiz bay, caught 3 gates that were all around 5#, and that was it.  Long day fishing.  We were trying to chase the big gates but could never find them. Oh well next time.
Team Haviner Outdoors

Offline sdstroker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 19, 2007, 01:43 PM »
I usually always fish the trees or just the outside edges of them.  A good trick is to find the depth of the trees and move just ouside of them until it starts to drop off a little.  I might be up that way wednesday too.  Won't know until later tuesday.  If I go willl probably start on cattail.  I drive a blue one ton ford

Offline duckhunter125

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 19, 2007, 06:13 PM »
Stroker,
Hey let me know if you are going to be up this way.  I was also thinking of putting in a day on bullhead. That is where I took that big smallie out of earlier in the year.  We tried it yesterday and I lost another one.  I was also thinking about Cattail.  But I am starting to want new water!!  Just let me know.
Team Haviner Outdoors

Offline sdstroker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 22, 2007, 11:24 AM »
duckhunter,
Did you find new water yesterday in the wind??  I decided to head that way about 4:30 wednesday am after viewing the weather reports.  Didn't really hit the wind until late afternoon and then the fishing just died.  We ended up with 11 perch 10-13" and 1 northern 4#.  Caught and released many small perch and walleyes.  Cattail should be a hot fishery in a couple of years with all those small walleyes and perch.  I did see one 4-5# walleye caught next to us.  Tight lines.

Offline sdhusker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2007, 12:54 PM »
Stroker - did you get a lot of 4-10" eyes?  I caught so many of those on Saturday that I lost count.  I know there are better fish in there, and good numbers of them too.  You guys fared better than I on keeper perch, but I did manage a few in the 10-11" range.  Couldn't keep the baits away from the dink walleyes long enough to catch perch.  I was getting the perch on buckshots with rattles.  How about you? 

Offline sdstroker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 22, 2007, 05:05 PM »
Yeah, I couldn't honestly tell you how many walleyes we caught.  Some of them would have looked good in a fish aquarium.  Most of the eyes and perch came on medium minnows with a number 8 red hook. I did catch a few keeper perch on a top secret jig and minnow head.  I did lose one jigging that I know would have made
1.5#. He did the one flop bounce after I cleared the vex puck lol.  We moved around alot.  Finally found the better fish south of parson's pass along the ice heave in the tree's.

Offline duckhunter125

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 23, 2007, 08:23 PM »
Stroker,
Sounds like you had a good day.  I was on Bullhead all day and managed 3 pike that were 4-5#.  Other then that it was pretty slow, I did pick up some samll perch but no big pikes or smallies like I was looking for.  I put about 100 holes in the ice trying to find the drop off.  I found it finally but it took a while but once I was set it didn't take long and the pikes were biting.  And yes the wind did suck!!
Team Haviner Outdoors

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.