New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Dredded fish disease  (Read 1257 times)

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
Dredded fish disease
« on: Feb 07, 2007, 10:07 PM »
I know alot of you have read, posted and probably been relieved that the topic of Viral Hemorrhagic septicemia has not come up in awhile. We have a few new members and its the height of ice fishing season. If I reach just one person that did not know about this, then I've not wasted my time.

I'm cutting to the chace, and there's techinicalitys that are redundant, so I'm skipping over some of it.

VHS is a virus that has entered the great lake presumably by ocean going vessels. The reason this is a hot topic is the mortality rate among some fish that get infected. I cannot put a number on it, but it's beyond our imagination just how many fish has been taken already.

The Federal govenment placed a order stopping transport of live fish from the great lakes without first passing viral testing, and the DEC placed emergency baitfish regulations stopping the harvest of baitfish from Lake Erie, Lake Ontario and the St.Lawrance, placed the same guildlines for testing,  put a 100 minnow limit on baitfish possesion. Also, if you catch your own baitfish, you are restricted to using them in the same waters cought. The 100 limit is wether you catch your own buy them, or if the minnows are dead or alive.

Using bait from the Niagra river, lake Erie, Lake Ontario or the St. Lawrance river in inland lakes and waterways is a big time NO-NO. Don't do it, please.

Spring is around the corner, please if you fish the above waters, please wash your live well out, and disinfect it with a 10 to 20% solution of bleach/water. Allow to air dry.
Drain your boat at the launch you are leaving.  Please be aware of weeds , mud, ect on your trailer.

Who's watching?, Who's going to catch you ? Probably nobody. Its you , me, everyone who fishes or uses the waters we fish in that has to be aware, think twice before you leave that spring fishing hole, and do the right thing.

Retired , but still recovering ice fishing addict.

Offline kayak2fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Dredded fish disease
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2007, 10:38 PM »
Yup. It's all about the individual act to prevent this. There is no glory. No one will give you a medal. But please take that extra step.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2007, 06:58 AM »
THanks for keeping this at the top of awareness.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2007, 08:19 AM »
thanks cfb for keeping us all aware of the situation!!!  :tipup: :tipup:

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2007, 08:44 AM »
Please don't forget that I'm having informational meetings at Gander Mountains :

Cicero : Feb 23, 7 pm

Henrietta : Feb 24, 1 pm

The meeting will be everything covered on this forum one time or another, so if you are well informed then I still would like anyone interested to attend to gather ideas for public awareness. I invited channel 3 and 9 already in Syracuse, but have not gone any further with that.

Offline stickyfingerdpuppeter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2007, 04:21 PM »
?

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2007, 04:38 PM »
?
whats the question ? or are you confused ??

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline jdjyoung

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get the gaf, I'm catching this one!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2007, 07:57 PM »
 I agree to all that has been said but the worst part of it all is the prices being paid for Emerald shiners now due to the fact that most bait is now being shipped into WNY from Wisconson. When I bought bait the other day I was told to keep my receipt incase the DEC wanted to check my minnow bucket.

What's next?

JD
" I'll take a bad day of fishing over a good day at work anytime!"

Offline Imfishking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2007, 08:26 PM »
true but I'd rather pay more for bait than lose the fish we all enjoy fishing for

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2007, 09:25 PM »
I understand that a local baitshop owner had a meeting with DEC officials. From what I understand, they are erecting new signs for launches and even going to make a TV commercial. Official word from DEC is yet to be seen, but I trust my source.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.