New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake George info  (Read 5710 times)

JJ

Re: Lake George info
« Reply #30 on: Feb 12, 2007, 09:26 AM »
North end (north of Hague) wide open as os 3-10, doubt it will lock up this year.
The lake was really high this fall, and is still dropping I believe. There is a good current this year, making the ice thinner or nonexistant in spots. Like the point of Tongue, for example; also people went through the ice yesterday between Speaker Heck and Assembly Point, lots of current there. I also wouldn't go between Fourteen Mile Island and shore.

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 12, 2007, 08:02 PM »
I don't know if it's current so much as the wind and the warm period we have had prior to the middle of January. The Lake normally does not vary more then a few feet per year and the north end always has a hard time freezing over. There hasn't been any period of time where the wind has not been blowing so I would blame the wind more then any current.

JJ

« Reply #32 on: Feb 13, 2007, 08:20 AM »
The reason the north end has a hard time freezing is the current, which is strong this year. Which like I said before is resulting in open water in the high current spots like Montcalm Point, the narrows, etc. Machines went through Sunday by Speakerheck, also strong current there. Reminds me of a story told to me by an oldtimer; he took his mother's new '56 T-Bird for a ride on the Lake. It ended up on the bottom off the tip of Assembly Point; it's not very deep there so they hooked a chain to it, cut a long thin whole in the ice and dragged it to shore on a small beach. He claims that after drying out the car was fine, wouldn't happen today with all the electronics in cars. ;D

Offline FISHON-2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 13, 2007, 11:26 AM »
fished outside the bay off vets on sunday,found 70'-80'.there were 6 of us there all day,we iced 6 lakers only 3 were keepers the biggest was 26".not a total loss,but i've seen better days.6"-8" of ice.

Offline AdkSportsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 13, 2007, 01:49 PM »
Last report I got was on Feb 7th saying the North End was still wide open.
Fished Burnie yesterday. 2" of ice. Blairs Bay is all froze but open water at the nose and around the point by the boy scout camp. Few small spots of open water in the bay also. Didnt get out to far. Pressure ridge forming about 300 yds out, didnt look too safe. Nothing but wind flags, need to get out farther. Heard about a 28" laker caught yesterday afternoon in 20' of water.

Offline Mack Smacker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 13, 2007, 08:48 PM »
35 1/2''  Laker  :o ?!?!?!?! Come on  :'(, give me a story or a pic or something!

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 13, 2007, 09:20 PM »
I don't know about 35 1/2 " but I talked to a guy in Bobs bait shop that had a picture of a 14 lb laker and I believe he caught it at Hearthstone. I saw the pic and it sure was a nice fish. so if you stop in to see Jackie she might still have the pic.

Offline mattmull10

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Not bad, but i can do better!
« Reply #37 on: Feb 14, 2007, 08:51 AM »
Rt. 9n Corinth
My new Motto for the New Year #@%& it i'm going fishing

Offline FISHON-2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 14, 2007, 11:15 AM »
mattmull10, i just happened to catch your locaction "ticonderoga"i was born and raised there,still have alot of relatives up there.left about 15 years ago.i visit every 4-5 years or so.anyways did you go to school there?if so i'm 38 was wondering if i might know you.talk to you later.
                                                                                   tightlines,clay(boon)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.