Author Topic: shanty oppinion  (Read 1734 times)

Offline jamesdegitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
shanty oppinion
« on: Feb 05, 2007, 06:51 PM »

I need some help if anyone would be so inclined.  I can't decide between buying a clam shanty or a shappell shanty.  The Shappell is actually bigger, but cheaper.  I don't know if there is a difference in material and construction.  Any help would be a HUGE help! 
I'm not getting skunked, I'm just eliminating water

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
Re: shanty oppinion
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2007, 07:19 PM »
  I need some help if anyone would be so inclined.  I can't decide between buying a clam shanty or a shappell shanty.  The Shappell is actually bigger, but cheaper.  I don't know if there is a difference in material and construction.  Any help would be a HUGE help! 
I've never used a shappell shack. But i do have 2 clams and I am very happy with both. I have a trap pro which is a one man and bought it this spring. I also bought a Clam trap X2 this fall for a 2 man shack. both very good quality. The X series is quit a lot better quality then any other Flip shack i have seen on the market to date. including the frabiles.
Of coarse this is just my oppion and lol I'm sticking to it. As far as I'm consurned there is no better shacks out there. ;) :whistle: :thumbsup:
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline upmich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2007, 07:31 PM »
I've got the Clam and I wouldn't use anything else. They seem lighter than most so they are easy to transport.

Offline Iceline

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2007, 07:50 PM »
I purchased a Shappell DX 3000 and I am very happy with it. It is very light (43lbs), has plenty of room on the inside. Does a great job of breaking the wind and stays very warm, even in below zero weather. Sets up in a snap, has 2 very large fishing areas with hinged covers that lock securely and offers a ski accessory kit.

I am very pleased with the Shappell.

Even eminent chartered accountants are known, in their capacity as fishermen, blissfully to ignore differences between seven and ten inches, half a pound and two pounds, three fish and a dozen fish.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2007, 07:57 PM »

I'm partial to the Fish Traps (Clam Corp) myself .. I've been a customer for probably twenty years.
That aside I wouldn't sell short a companies customer service. I've had nothing but good things to say about Clam Corp. I'm sure there are many other good companies out there but I would do a little research first.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2007, 08:35 PM »
Fish Trap as well :bow: :bow: :bow:

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2007, 09:29 PM »
clam here too..
started out useing a giude then moved up into a yucon love it very roomy..
Hard Ice

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2007, 09:42 PM »

Got the clam guide and it's a great shelter easy to pull by yourself and plenty of room. Quality construction, never had a problem with it! ;) :tipup:

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2007, 09:48 PM »
Shapell lover here, I usually set up on a piece of strucure and use it as a base camp. No where near as "portable" to set up and move over and over. If you want to run and gun buy a clam. move once or twice in a day shapell will work well. Also, i bought a shapell because i sight fish alot and at 6'1 i dont like to hunch over. And its a black out in there! Down side, even with the popout skis kinda a pain to move all over the lake. The more room you have the more junk you bring !!
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline Bluefox

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jiggin' Fool
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2007, 06:38 AM »
I have used a clam scout for a few years. Wanted something bigger. Was looking into a trap guide and then I saw the Shappell 2.0 DX. The Shappell is six incher wider and seven inches longer than the Clam. Price was a concern also, the Shappell was on sale for 299 and also came with a free travel cover ($40).Also love the padded flip up bench seat.

Offline jmny004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2007, 11:04 AM »
Next time you go fishing take a look around the ice. What color stands out the most. Blue (clam) black Shappell and frabill) green (otter), purple (Viking and now otter). Its a blue blue world out there. And for a good reason. But it comes down wjhat you as a individual need and can afford. Weight is a facto unless you have a tow vehicle.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2007, 12:14 PM »
Does it have to be a Clam or Shappel?  I have an Eskimo Quick Flip, and really like it.  If I had to do it over though, I would buy  plywood or waferboard and build a 4'x8'.  None of those portables do well in strong winds.  Last year, my ice anchors pulled out and my Quick Flip took off like a kite.  It landed in a tree on the other side of the lake.

Offline Togueman8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2007, 06:03 PM »
i have had the shappelle 3000 and the 4000 as well as a small clam, my opinion without a doubt is shappelle, i love it and the smelt runs are nice. its also easy to spot fish with the windows up. real nice for smelting.
U Maine Fort Kent Hardwater Team

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2007, 06:08 PM »
Next time you go fishing take a look around the ice. What color stands out the most. Blue (clam) black Shappell and frabill) green (otter), purple (Viking and now otter). Its a blue blue world out there. And for a good reason.

Ever think marketing has anything to do with it?
I have both the Shappell 3000 and the Clam Scout. If the Shappell flipovers have the quality of their cabin style I'd be more than happy with the Shappell flipover.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.