Author Topic: How do I rig my tip ups for Pike??  (Read 2832 times)

Offline Gino

• IceShanty Rookie
How do I rig my tip ups for Pike??
« on: Feb 05, 2007, 11:22 AM »
I am going away Pike fishing in two weeks ??, but have never fished for Pike through the ice.  I read a lot of your posts on this site, and while they gave me a lot of info, I am afraid that I need a picture or diagram to fully understand how many leaders, where treble hooks are used, and where wire, or fluoro is recommended.  I would like to try a couple different setups...any info is MUCH appreciated

Thanks-

Gino

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How do I rig my tip ups for Pike??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2007, 11:43 AM »
go get a pack of 30 inch 30# steel leaders.....size 2 treble hooks and big split shots.....I will try to take a pic later, but keep it simple....attach the steel to your tip-up line, then the treble to the snap....put the split 8-12 inches from the hook  :tipup:

Offline hobo58

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2007, 12:14 PM »
just got back from Northern Mn. and fished on the Mantrap chain near Parkrapids Mn.. I used my tip ups for the first time in years. I found that a long leader isn't necessary,10" is all I use with a twist on sinker about 12" up from my leader just to keep the 4" to 6" sucker minnow in the depth I want. We were fishing in 10 ft. and I suspended it 5ft down. Works great!!  Just somthing I use in deeper water is I put a button on my line first when rigging so I can get back to my detph quickly with no measuring after a bite. Any small button from a shirt will work and thread it through two holes. I will stay in place, slide up or down, and will wind back into your tip up at the end of the day.  We also fished through a 2ft by2ft hole in a darkhouse and with a small pole and watched the Northern come in. Saw alot of fish come in and just bump the bait and swim off, others came in and hammered it. I always let them run twice weather I use a tip up or a rod and reel and set the hook on the second run. Good luck !!

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2007, 03:14 PM »
HT makes a tip up ready rig in various treble sizes and leader # - I suggest 27# number 2 hook. 50# Mason Braided (not coated) tip-up line. I want the fish to come on my terms - not theirs.

Large shiners work well - if they are too active snip their tail fin to slow them down. This makes them "shake" in the water and really gets the pike wound up. I also use smelt on a quick strike rig - very effective.

I know some use mono leaders, but I have always used wire and have had a lot of success.

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2007, 03:52 PM »
I found that a long leader isn't necessary,
yes it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2007, 06:46 PM »
Gino,

There are forums on this site for both "pike" and "tipups".  Both forums have lots of info on how to set up properly. 

Tight Lines.

Offline producetim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2007, 08:04 PM »
instead of a button try uing a small aligator clip. it's easier to change your depth setting 

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2007, 08:11 PM »
instead of a button try uing a small aligator clip. it's easier to change your depth setting 

you can also get a pack of the small bobbers made for tip ups - they look like the old fashion red/white and work the same way - although when your hands are frozen it can be a little tricky.

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2007, 08:15 PM »
when I make my own leaders for toothy fish, they are only but 4 or 5 inches long. all that extra wiehgt of a long steel leaders doesnt let the fish swim right.

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2007, 10:01 PM »

Obviously your going to get a lot of opinions on how to rig for pike because there is more than one way and everyone has their personal preferences from personal experience. Basically you need to do some trial and error.Pick a rig that seems to fit your wants and $. If your trying for the first time, keep it simple(steel leader and a treble hook attached to 12-30lb nylon ice fishing line). If you know your going to be in shallow water(2-15ft) you don't need the button or a depth marker. Deep water you should use a marker to reset after a flag is pulled in. The weight on the line is also important deep and depending on the bait you use. Large shiners and chubs tend to swim horizontally and it will help get them down and keep them relatively in place. I personally don't use them in shallow water because I set my tipups to the ice and not the bottom(1-5ft.) down off the ice. If your deep(15-20ft+) ;) :tipup: set them 6"-1ft off the bottom or weed tops. Hope that helps you

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2007, 12:03 AM »
Hi Gino, Welcome to IceShanty. :)

What everyone has told you is right on, there are many ways to rig a quick-strike rig.

There are also 2 types of quick strike rigs.
The first one will hang your bait vertically in the water and the second horizontally.
Pike will hit both of them no doubt but for myself I prefer the horizontal rigs.

Here is an example of one of my home made horizontal rigs.

It consists of 2 #6 treble hooks. In this photo I have 2 fluorocarbon lines per hook for double the strength but still redused visibility.
I than add a small rubber core sinker above each hook so the smelt, herring or what ever type of bait you use will sink.
I then tie the 2 sets of line to a 3-way swivel.
Depending how long you tie your lines will depend on how far apart you can place your hooks.

Pike almost always hit the bait sideways to kill it and then swallow it head first.
I would place one hook half-way between the head and dorsal fin of the bait and the other between the dorsal fin and the tail.

If you worry about bite offs attach a small hook and rubber core sinker to two steel leader the equal length and you have another type of quick-strike rig.

Good luck in your pike quest they are a blast to angle for. :tipup:

WW

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2007, 06:24 AM »
Gino, check out my pictures, or ilikepikes pike pictures to back up what I'm about to say. Steel leaders are not necessary if you are fishing clear lakes. I use 12lb mono, but just bought 17lb floro to try out. He uses a 15lb mono leader, and just landed a 21.8lb nothern with no problem. I've landed probably 5 or so over 10lbs on 12lb mono, including the one in my avatar to the left. I use about a 5 foot strand of mono, becuase I mostly fish a body of water with insainly clear water. I also use #10 red trebbles. The bait of choice so far this year has been suckers about 6-10" long. Good luck, hope you conisder this.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline Gino

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2007, 01:28 PM »
Thanks to all who posted.  I really appreciate you guys taking the time to describe various settings for my tip ups.  I am going to try a couple different rigs and see what happens.  I just didn't want to show up for my first shot at Pike through the ice with a single hook on a 6lb leader or something else I have used a lot locally.  It helps to hear from those who have been there.  I will post pictures if anything real good happens

Thanks again-

Gino

Any more pictures of the rigs if you guys have them, that was great.  If it is a pain to post them to this site, you can send them to me directly to my e-mail.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.