The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: vex  (Read 2614 times)

Offline gillmaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 11"gill from a secret pond
vex
« on: Feb 03, 2007, 04:29 PM »
does anybody know where i can get a fl 8 SE for the best price. Like on sale or just lowest price. Thanks
Go Team PA!

Offline Pete H

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: vex
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2007, 05:50 PM »
BPS has a few vexilars there.They had a few that right at $300. i got a fl-8 vex.I cant wait to try it out.
shut up and fish you big baby
Get er dun and lets go fishin'

Offline R.V. ICEMAN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • VEX, is sure an expensive depth finder..
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2007, 03:28 PM »
unless your fishing  in water from 15 and deeper, dont waste your $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.   dont pay 300 bucks for something to tell you how deep the water is.
The more fish we release, is more fish we all can catch.  b/c we all like to catch.   Catch, Photo, Release!!  Such an easy concept, but so hard for others to understand!!!!!

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2007, 03:51 PM »
unless your fishing  in water from 15 and deeper, dont waste your $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.   dont pay 300 bucks for something to tell you how deep the water is.

A flasher tells you MUCH more than how deep the water is.  It gives you real time info on what depth the fish are suspending, how they react to your jig/bait, heck...I can even tell if my jig still has a waxworm on it or not.  I would not ice fish without one.  If you're going to go thru the trouble of getting bundled up, hauling your gear out, and sitting in the cold for many many hours, why would you do all that and then sit over a hole in the ice without having any idea what is going on below your feet.  ??? $300 spent on a flasher is money well spent considering the hours sitting on the ice and the increased catching.  I know LOTS of guys who drill a hole, park their butts, and don't have any idea what is happening down there, but they don't hesitate to plunk down $800 on a rifle that they hope will only have to be fired once within the first fifteen minutes of deer season.  :D

Offline gillmaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2007, 04:39 PM »
Thats what i figured and went and bought a fl 18

A flasher tells you MUCH more than how deep the water is.  It gives you real time info on what depth the fish are suspending, how they react to your jig/bait, heck...I can even tell if my jig still has a waxworm on it or not.  I would not ice fish without one.  If you're going to go thru the trouble of getting bundled up, hauling your gear out, and sitting in the cold for many many hours, why would you do all that and then sit over a hole in the ice without having any idea what is going on below your feet.  ??? $300 spent on a flasher is money well spent considering the hours sitting on the ice and the increased catching.  I know LOTS of guys who drill a hole, park their butts, and don't have any idea what is happening down there, but they don't hesitate to plunk down $800 on a rifle that they hope will only have to be fired once within the first fifteen minutes of deer season.  :D
Go Team PA!

icefishnfool

« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2007, 04:49 PM »
good choice gill ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D you won't be disapointed

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2007, 05:10 PM »
Yep...you will not regret it.  Just be prepared to get looks of awe/disgust as you hammer the fish as people around you aren't catching squat.  Especially suspended crappies.  ;)2 I love plunking fat crappies on the ice & having someone saying "Geez...looks like you're in a good spot!"  Nooooo....because of my flasher I just know that the crappies are suspended 14 feet down...hold a foot or so above that & you're as good as gold.  Trust me....when you can see exactly what is going on down there and are catching fish almost at will sometimes, you will be giggling like a little kid on Christmas.  :D

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2007, 05:18 PM »
Ken                                          

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2007, 06:49 PM »
Gill,
Sorry about not responding earlier but I just read your post.  I bought an FL-8SE at Bass Pro in Harrisburg for $200 right before Xmas.  The 18 may be a little nicer but I couldn't pass the deal on the 8.  I have an older FL-8SLT which I have given to my 10 yr old or let a friend borrow who I am trying to interest in icefishing.

Don't know if Bass Pro has any more left at that price as I bought the next to last one they had on the shelf.  I haven't been back there since.

jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

Offline gillmaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2007, 07:15 PM »
The one i bought was the older fl 18 gander had left over. It was 100 bucks off. So i figured i could get an older fl18 pro pack I for the same price of the new fl8 pro pack II. So i got a fl 18 for 299.99. I cant wait to try it out.
Go Team PA!

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2007, 07:24 AM »
WAY more to it than just water depth, I have we have slammed fish with poeple all around us doing very bad.  If you got the cash get the tools to maximizer your time.

Snapper 

Offline slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2007, 09:19 AM »
NO!!! R.V. is correct... Nothing to see here!!!  ;)
YOU'RE IN MY HOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline treesparrow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2007, 09:28 AM »
Is the Fl18 worth the extra money over the FL8 ? I fish perch and wonder if either can detect the perch on the bottom. I would also use it on my boat in the summer if it could spot perch on the bottom.

Offline slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2007, 09:36 AM »
Tree sparrow,
I use an 8 yr. old zercom, which has similar qualities as the fl8... the fl18 has a display for the bottom 6 ft of the water column which is a nice feature. But once you get confortable with whatever machine you purchase, the dividends are probably minimal... The biggest advantage (in my opinion) with the 18 is the bottom 6 ft. feature when fishing in depths exceeding 20 ft. This would give you better separation while having to set the other flashers to the 40 ft or 80 ft settings...
YOU'RE IN MY HOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ice023

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2007, 09:45 AM »
reed's has the genz pack the cheapest i have seen, free shipping helps.  also i know dicks has the pro pack on sale i think it was 279.00 if you look in your hunting rules and regulations book, i think there is a 10 dollar off coupon that you could use. 

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty well-preserved body,but rather to skid in broadside,thoroughly used up,totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW What a Ride!"

Offline fhsww48

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2007, 12:15 PM »
Last year, after a 20 + year layoff, I made my ice fishing comeback. Reed's had the older version Marcum LX-3 flasher (yellow, orange, red) on sale. I bought one. I guess Marcum had a program to upgrade to true 3 color but I passed the chance. Without a doubt ....the flasher.....is the single most important innovation in ice fishing since I gave it up in the early 80's. Yes its a depth finder but who cares how deep it is when I see I am moving the fish....yellow....oran ge ...red.......In the bucket!

Offline treesparrow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2007, 03:30 PM »
Thanks guys, if it wasn't such a slim year for me I would have allready bought one. My daughter started College meed I say more! I'll get one though sooner or latter!

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2007, 10:03 PM »
I have two FL-18's because I was tired of my buddies trying to drill holes close to me so they could share my Vex. As somebody said on another post I would rather fish with a claw hammer to make a hole  and a Vex and a stick pole than to fish without it.Used to hear from my buddies why did you pay all that money for that thing(Vex).Now they all have them. ;D
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline gillmaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2007, 08:02 AM »
Thats what happened to me and my dad, he bought the 18, and we went out and used it, and i didnt catch a fish until i used that vex. So we had to go get one for me. :P
I have two FL-18's because I was tired of my buddies trying to drill holes close to me so they could share my Vex. As somebody said on another post I would rather fish with a claw hammer to make a hole  and a Vex and a stick pole than to fish without it.Used to hear from my buddies why did you pay all that money for that thing(Vex).Now they all have them. ;D
Go Team PA!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.