Author Topic: Vexilar Ducer Float- Annoying or Not?  (Read 1343 times)

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Vexilar Ducer Float- Annoying or Not?
« on: Feb 02, 2007, 05:29 PM »
I was watching a guy fishing today and he was using a Vex. Every time he caught a fish he reached down and took the ducer out of the hole.
Now I fish with one, and I found that the float was useless and annoying. I took it off about 3 years ago and haven't missed it a bit. I was just wondering what everyone else thinks. ;) ;D
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Vexilar Ducer Float- Annoying or Not?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2007, 05:42 PM »
I was watching a guy fishing today and he was using a Vex. Every time he caught a fish he reached down and took the ducer out of the hole.
Now I fish with one, and I found that the float was useless and annoying. I took it off about 3 years ago and haven't missed it a bit. I was just wondering what everyone else thinks. ;) ;D
I like using the float because then it doesn't matter which rod length I'm using.  If you only have one hole you still have the transducer in the hole for the fish to tangle on no matter how you do it.

Offline Michiganmallard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2007, 05:49 PM »
I agree.  I like the float because I can set my vex as far from the hole as I want- as opposed to the little arm on other units.  It's not a problem to pull it out of the hole, besides I think I'd pull the transducer regardless of the setup just so there is no tangle issues landing fish.

Member: Michigan Trappers Association, National Trappers Association, Michigan Duck Hunters Association, Wetlands Foundation of West Michigan,  Michigan United Conservation Clubs,  National Rifle Association, & Delta Waterfowl
Preserve our right to Hunt, Fish, & Trap.  BECOME A MEMBER.

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2007, 05:51 PM »
I agree.  I like the float because I can set my vex as far from the hole as I want- as opposed to the little arm on other units.  It's not a problem to pull it out of the hole, besides I think I'd pull the transducer regardless of the setup just so there is no tangle issues landing fish.
Exactly my feelings. The little eye bolt that came with mine is to short for my liking.
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2007, 06:08 PM »
all i do is check the ice depth, set the float stop where i want it, and it can be as far away from the hole as i want it. the cable runs right down the side of the hole, so it very rarely gets tangled. i just thought that it was a lot of wasted time if the bite was really hot, plus it saves all that bending over. I'm not getting any younger. ;D
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2007, 06:27 PM »
on my flasher i use a portable boat setup it is simple to level and it stays tight to one side of the hole  had a problem only once when a tiger musky tangled me around everything still landed the fish but wasted alot of time untangling

Offline dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2007, 06:30 PM »
 I removed mine and like you say leave just enough cable to get under the ice with the transducer the cable is tight to the ice and very few tangles without removing the transducer.
If Fishin were easy they would call it Catchin

Offline finfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2007, 06:35 PM »
I drill 7" holes and keep it to the side of the hole..sometimes I drill 2 holes right next to each other and put the ducer in one and fish out of the other

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2007, 08:17 PM »
I use a 10" power auger and don't normally take the float/transducer out of the hole unless I have a larger fish. I primarily fish for larger walleye on the Bay of Quinte.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.