Author Topic: Shanty windows  (Read 1108 times)

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Shanty windows
« on: Feb 02, 2007, 05:26 AM »
I know I have read the warning before. I have also heard the stories of the portable shanty's windows breaking. I have one of those general portables with the soft windows. At what temperature do they start to crack? and what can I do to prevent that?
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Shanty windows
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2007, 06:11 AM »
What brand of portable do you have? I have had a shappell for 14 years and the window is still good.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline whitey

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the slabs!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2007, 06:29 AM »
pikemaster, i also have a shappell portable like adkroy. i'm not sure what temp they start to break at, but it does happen especially heating them up and cooling them down rapidly all the time. i try to take extra caution when folding it up to make sure the windows aren't getting pinched anywhere in between. i'll be honest with you though, mine have cracked anyways no matter how much caution i take with it. both of my windows have duct tape on the windows inside and out covering cracks. i'm not worried about what it looks like, just staying warm after all. i'm not sure there really is anything you can do to prevent plastic from cracking because of the elements, it's bound to happen at some point. 

Offline bdub78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2007, 08:36 AM »
Something that has always worked for me is the clear packing tape, you know, for sending cardboard boxes and stuff...  Just layer it with a 1\4" overlay on the strips, your windows shouldn't crack, mine haven't in about 5 years.  Just be sure to change the tape every other year.

Also, start at the top of the window, makes removing the tape that much easier... Good Luck and Happy Fishing....

Offline bdub78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2007, 08:37 AM »
Pike,

One more thing, do both sides of the window, helps keep moisture out..  :)

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2007, 04:49 PM »
Use 1\16 lexan it wont break like plexi or vinyl

Offline Bluefox

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jiggin' Fool
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2007, 07:06 PM »
Just bought a shappell shanty and the sheet with it says "windows are not guaranteed below -15 degrees F."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.