Author Topic: fish smell on hands after filleting.... Any tricks?  (Read 3594 times)

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
Re: fish smell on hands after filleting.... Any tricks?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 31, 2007, 09:01 PM »
Anything stainless will work well. I have seen stainless steel lumps intended for this purpose. If all else fails, soak your hands with diesel fuel. ;D
Then go outside and light a cigarette and woof you will no longer have to worry about the smell cause your skin will be gone. Couldn't resist this one. I have also used lemon, rubber gloves and a bunch of others but be careful when mixing chemicals together. I sometimes use the hand sanitizer but again don't light up until all the alcohol has evaporated.

Offline hard_water

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin lips all over NY
« Reply #31 on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:59 PM »
i use lava hand soap to wash my hands then a shot of vineger and rinse and poof no mo smell.

water
GET THE NET !!!!!!!GET THE NET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ladyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 01, 2007, 07:13 AM »
They just did a test of those on a local TV station and they got less than rave reviews. Didn't remove onion or garlic from the tester's hands.
I don't know how they tested them on the local TV station, but mine works real good.  We bought ours from Cabela's on a whim.  You need to wash under running water.  It has removed onion, garlic, fish,kerosine, gas, and a lot of other bad odors.  We have also seen them on rare occasions in
Dollar stores.  We have had ours for at least three years now.  I like them.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 01, 2007, 07:18 AM »
I no longer have this problem with smell on the hands because I now clean fish using surgical gloves. IYou can get them by the 100 for about 4 bucks. Get the right size and you barely notice them on your hands.
Before the use of these, I would use Listerine or Scope on my hands followed by Lemon Juice. This method even eradicated Catfish and Pike smells!

Get above...Where the glove!

Offline groum

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #34 on: Feb 01, 2007, 08:56 AM »
Lemon juice, it changes the juice and oils to a salt.  I knew my food science class would be useful.

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #35 on: Feb 01, 2007, 09:25 AM »
Then go outside and light a cigarette and woof you will no longer have to worry about the smell cause your skin will be gone.

You dont have to worry about going up in flames, it takes a very hot source to ignite diesel fuel, like a road flare. I've put out a cig. throwing in a small spill of diesel fuel.  Gas fumes on the other hand will ignite easily.

Offline pike-perch01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 01, 2007, 09:36 AM »
i recently bought "P&P SPORTSMAN'S SOLUTION" made by p&p rattle co. champaign illinois.it works really well and i have been filleting a lot of fish the last 2 weeks.

Offline biggeorge50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 01, 2007, 02:31 PM »
I will second the toothpaste.  Works best for me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.