Author Topic: Colored spikes or maggots  (Read 3258 times)

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Colored spikes or maggots
« on: Dec 05, 2003, 09:30 PM »
Does anyone know how bait vendors get colored spikes? Do they add food coloring to their food or put it in their bedding? Was just curious as to how this was done.
Ken                                          

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:Colored spikes or maggots
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2003, 03:47 AM »
Not to mention that they die faster. Regular spikes I can freeze several times and they keep on going but colored ones die on my all the time. Although I bought some pink ones once, they were all pink, and I got bites with them just fine. I keep all my maggots in the same container and just change sawdust. I keep dumping new maggots in. The colored ones always die but the regular ones I can never tell which are new and which are old.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2003, 06:25 AM »
Hmmm , thats strange. Last year i have a huge difference in my catch using the colored ones, far more than just the regular white ones

Freezin

« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2003, 06:58 AM »
This is an interesting topic!  Im just about to order some bait- and was thinking about getting a 1000 colored spikes and a 1000 of the regs.  Now I don't know?  Does anyone else have good luck with the colored ones and if so where did you purchase them !-----Freeze

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2003, 09:49 AM »
I have also noticed that even though I seem to get more bites with the colored spikes, they do seem to die faster. I was able to keep natural spikes alive a lot longer.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2003, 10:40 AM »
They raise the spikes in turkeys they add food coloring to the turkeys to color the spikes.  Myself i don't think they help I stick with the plain ones.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2003, 05:14 AM »
I never did any good with colored one's either.Seems like there always the last to go at the store.
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2003, 09:14 AM »
I have been fishing the colored spikes along side the natural ones for two years, and can't see any difference between the two.  I am going back to the natural ones.  They do keep longer and stay active long after the colored ones have given up.  I have noticed the colored spikes move with the same vigor as the plain ones, but for only a very short time.  I think this motion is the secret.  I still think presentation is more important than color.  It really comes down to confidence, if you think it makes a difference it does.

Pop

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2003, 11:39 PM »
The colored ones definitely die faster.  I've had good success on both...don't notice much difference.  If one of my buddies want's to go 1/2s on some, then I may fish the colored ones, but if I'm buying for myself, it's the plain ones for me.  Also, it seems that about 1/2 of the "colored" ones that you buy wind up being plain anyway.  So why pay that extra money!
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2003, 04:14 AM »
I like them all. They work really well for me colored or not. The good thing about the mix is you get some of everything. They are not that expensive I think. Usually 2 orders per year get me thru a complete ice season of extensive fishing and are well worth the money. :'( :'( :'(

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2003, 05:12 AM »
Easy solution ,  Buy plain spikes and a colored majic marker.... :D :D :D ::) :'(
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

ADCO

« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2003, 11:58 PM »
SOME guys and gals might call me S-T-R-A-N-G-E...But I take the Colored Maggots when I go Ice Fishing, and put about 4 in my Mouth..I put one on and I feel the Spit draws em in..
It works for me..MAYBE..If you can do this, it'll work for you..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.