Author Topic: Ever try a decoy for pike?  (Read 878 times)

Offline Profishing

• IceShanty Rookie
  • keep the tackle box free of old minnows :)
Ever try a decoy for pike?
« on: Jan 31, 2007, 06:27 AM »
I was thinking one day out on a lake with murky water sheesh i bet the small decoys they use for spear fishing pike should work great to attract the pike in.. Its  most likey illegal to spear fish in probly all of Canada im sure but i wish they would open a few lakes up for just spearing. ANyways heres a few ice decoys that worked and i have tryed. the first one is one i want to find to buy or simular  :)
If any one has any older decoys message me

THEY WORK LIKE A HOT DAM!!!

ANy of you ever try them?

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
Re: Ever try a decoy for pike?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2007, 11:13 AM »
No but I've heard of people using them...dont know if they worked though.  I also heard you get a good price on those in antique shops.

Offline diehard22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2007, 11:19 AM »
What do you do with the decoys? do jig them, let them hang there? Do you think it would help bring pike to your area while fishing conventionally and if so is it legal if the docoys don't have hooks in them?
Rain, sun, sleet, snow grab the minnows and let's go!

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2007, 03:14 PM »
E-BAY has a tone of ice fishing decoys for auction all year long. Check it out and you should be able to find what you are looking for..And if you find a model you like you can always paint it to you specs. GD

Offline chadcebulski

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2007, 04:26 PM »
yes, the decoys work great for pike. go to www.stopperlures.com they have decoys that look like one of the ones you had pictured.

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2007, 06:08 PM »
age old for spearing if its legal in your neck of the woods....we had a discussion last year or the year before about using large suspending lures such as Raps with good strong leaders for pike....those do work especially if the pike are prowling on the feed.....Grump

Offline Profishing

• IceShanty Rookie
  • keep the tackle box free of old minnows :)
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:20 PM »

Ya hate too loose em to a slue shark they will bite them even if they taste the copper fins, had this one hang on to the dam decoy for like 15mins i could have pulled him in. i just wanted to see how long this dam pike would hold the decoy , 15MINS!! Over the year of fishing  i like the pikes attitude use to hate em but now i have come to respect the basterds. They are the boss of the fish on the lakes thats for sure and they do try to show those decoys and jigs whos the boss,
I would rather eat a big spitefull pike than bottom feedin walleye anyday!!! Well thats just my oppinon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.