Author Topic: Flasher Questions  (Read 1365 times)

Offline MontanaIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
Flasher Questions
« on: Jan 29, 2007, 01:48 PM »
I bought a Marcum LX-5 a few weeks ago and have used it a few times and I have a couple questions.

How do you tell how deep the water is your fishing? If you have the Range on the 40ft setting, How do you know if the water is 50ft or 65ft deep? The book tells you to turn up the Range and Gain until you find bottom, but I didn't see anything in there about how to tell your exact depth.

The 3 numbered circles that are on the display, what is the red one used for?

Can someone give me some tips on using the zoom function?

How do you guys set your Gain? Any tips would be great on this too.

This is the first flasher i've ever owned and up until I bought it I have never seen one used before. I still have alot of learning to do.

Thank You

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Flasher Questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2007, 02:09 PM »
I just used my VX-1 for the first time this weekend and loved it.  Turn your range knob until you get a solid red bar on your display.  That will be the bottom.  Put your bait or jig down the hole until it reaches the bottom.  Take it off a few feet then adjust your gain.  As soon as you see your bait/jig registered as a thin green line, jig the lure/bait up and down.  You should see this action on your screen.  Bingo, you are ready to go.  My biggest problem was I was having such a great time watching the display, I forgot to watch my tip ups.  Best investment I ever made.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2007, 06:01 PM »
I bought a Marcum LX-5 a few weeks ago and have used it a few times and I have a couple questions.

How do you tell how deep the water is your fishing? If you have the Range on the 40ft setting, How do you know if the water is 50ft or 65ft deep? The book tells you to turn up the Range and Gain until you find bottom, but I didn't see anything in there about how to tell your exact depth.

The 3 numbered circles that are on the display, what is the red one used for?

Can someone give me some tips on using the zoom function?

How do you guys set your Gain? Any tips would be great on this too.

This is the first flasher i've ever owned and up until I bought it I have never seen one used before. I still have alot of learning to do.

Thank You

OK .. lets try to make it simple.

First how deep the water is : Turn the range knob to 20 and adjust the gain. If there's no red reading go to the 40 range setting. Lets say you now get a reading of red ( with possibly green and/or yellow) that is bottom. Now lets say you see the bottom (on the 40 foot range setting) at the 9 o'clock position. This would be 30 foot because on the white scale it says 15 but you are doubling that because you're in the 40 range setting.
The three colored circles : The white is the twenty foot range and also the 40 foot range ... you just double it.
The red circle is the 80 foot range .... or you can multiply the white circle four times.
The yellow circle is for the zoom mode. The right side is full view in 20 foot mode while the left is the bottom 5 foot mode. This can be varied as if you were in the 40 foot mode the right side would be doubled.

I set my gain so I can barely see my jig/lure. I want it so it reads yellow or if need be yellow green.

To use the zoom you simply hit the zoom button and then move the zoom zone down by hitting the down button to the area you want to zoom in on.

I hope I explained it well and I hope it helps.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline westernny

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Flasher Questions/fl-8 s-cable
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2007, 09:14 PM »
does anyone out here use a s- cable on there vexilar for shallow water? If so does it really help and is it worth the money?

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2007, 09:58 PM »
I was gonna go post a large post but lonewolf did a great job of explaining it better.

Robin

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
Re: Flasher Questions/fl-8 s-cable
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2007, 06:00 AM »
does anyone out here use a s- cable on there vexilar for shallow water? If so does it really help and is it worth the money?

If your Vex doesn't have a Low Power Mode than yes you need one for shallow, weedy water. It plugs in between the transducer cable and the unit to cut the power by half making the readings manageable.

Those who are brave are free ..

yarndt52

« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2007, 07:30 AM »
I just used my VX-1 for the first time this weekend and loved it.  Turn your range knob until you get a solid red bar on your display.  That will be the bottom.  Put your bait or jig down the hole until it reaches the bottom.  Take it off a few feet then adjust your gain.  As soon as you see your bait/jig registered as a thin green line, jig the lure/bait up and down.  You should see this action on your screen.  Bingo, you are ready to go.  My biggest problem was I was having such a great time watching the display, I forgot to watch my tip ups.  Best investment I ever made.

i did the same thing just got my vx-1 this last weekend and used it for the first time.. it worked great but i was having such a good time watching it that i forgot to check the tipups.. not that anything was biting on them!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.